Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So I'm pretty lost...

HRTaylor
03.28.2012 , 12:24 AM | #1
So while I am enjoying this game immensely, there are a lot of areas that I just don't seem to be getting. Help? (BTW I'm a MMO noob, and a Sith Sorc if that helps at all)

1. Crafting- I understand its to make money and items, but how to actually utilize it's full potential is lost on me. What's the best set up for my character? I'm mostly into PvE if that also means anything.

2. PvE- Flashpoints I get, but Operations, completely lost. I'd like info on strategy and good party cohesion.

3. Character Building- This is the big one. I just really don't know what to look for. What stats should I focus on? How can I know that my character is being built properly?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Kythrae
03.28.2012 , 12:43 AM | #2
Generally speaking each class has Endurance and one other stat as their main. I will not break them down in text but the site has that info plus if you open your character window or look at quest reward gear it will become evident really fast. In this case you are after Willpower as main stat.

Aside from that it depends on your advanced class what is important thereafter. Again in this case you are after more Willpower with say Alacrity and Power if heals, Crit and accuracy if DPS. Or some combination of those four until maxed level.

Crafting is going to be kind of shook up in 1.2 and further patches but this can be purely your choice really. Essentially a creation craft, gathering, and quest are the 3 types in this game, the latter being quite new.

Really until you max out you can feel free to ignore crafting if you wish to but for a Sorc I am thinking Artifice, archeology, and Treasure hunting a good combo. It is not needed, Synthweaving could be a good one as well instead of Artifice. A favored trinity is Biochem, analysis, and investigation/diplomacy.

Last is kind of more of guild thing. Operations generally speaking need 2 tanks, 2 heals and rest DPS for 8man level. 4 tanks and 4 heals for 16 generally speaking. Specific Operations and bosses could call for different results and content. I recommend youtube research and/or Roosterteeth for some nice general suggestions. In all honesty it is the making of a group that is PATIENT and willing to TEACH that will be the challenge.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Azzirith
03.28.2012 , 12:46 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kythrae View Post
Last is kind of more of guild thing. Operations generally speaking need 2 tanks, 2 heals and rest DPS for 8man level. 4 tanks and 4 heals for 16 generally speaking. Specific Operations and bosses could call for different results and content. I recommend youtube research and/or Roosterteeth for some nice general suggestions. In all honesty it is the making of a group that is PATIENT and willing to TEACH that will be the challenge.
Best of luck and enjoy!
Not really... for the launch Operations, all you really need is 1 tank for both 8 and 16m, 2/4 healers for 8/16 man. Come 1.2, supposedly you'll end up needing 2 tanks, but the number of healers/dps remain the same.

MORTTUUM
03.28.2012 , 12:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by HRTaylor View Post
1. Crafting- I understand its to make money and items, but how to actually utilize it's full potential is lost on me. What's the best set up for my character? I'm mostly into PvE if that also means anything.

2. PvE- Flashpoints I get, but Operations, completely lost. I'd like info on strategy and good party cohesion.

3. Character Building- This is the big one. I just really don't know what to look for. What stats should I focus on? How can I know that my character is being built properly?
If you're reallt into the "builing the baddest MoFo in the universe, I can't really help. But if you just like playing a movie character...

1- Haven't really gotten into crafting. I find it tedious, so I just gather and vendor or auction the picks for cash and buy what I want. Money hasn't been an issue for me so far.

2- Sorry, no idea. i solo everything (I'm not very sociable in-game, too many children).

3- For a Sorc, you need Endurance (as does every class, it boosts you hit-points), and WillPower (to increase you Force-base abilities and healing). Force Power is also useful for the same reason.

Hope that helps a bit...
I hate violence. I'm just really, really prepared for Peace.

KyoMamoru
03.28.2012 , 12:47 AM | #5
So while I am enjoying this game immensely, there are a lot of areas that I just don't seem to be getting. Help? (BTW I'm a MMO noob, and a Sith Sorc if that helps at all)

I would suggest going Biochem, Bioanalysis, and another gather skill until you gain a larger level of familiarity with the game. Biochem will provide you relatively easy consumables during your leveling process.

Quote:
Operations are the level 50 end game. There are currently two, Eternity Vault and Kragga's Palace. On Normal mode, they provide you with Tier 2 gear, and require eight players to complete. On hard mode, it provides tier 3 gear [Rakata] and also requires eight players to complete. There is a Nightmare mode which requires sixteen players, and drops more Rakata gear. The composition for most normal mode are one tank, two healers, and the rest DPS.

Quote:
Thanks for any and all replies!
As with most Modern MMOs, it's very hard to screw up your character. Build wise, when leveling, it's usually best to go up one tree until you get the final tier ability available, unless there's an accessible hybrid build for yourself. Stat wise the itemization of the gear that you'll find will be for Will Power, which is what you'll need. For the first twenty-five levels of the game, gear really isn't an issue.

Eternalnight
03.28.2012 , 01:09 AM | #6
A lot of terrible answers here.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kythrae View Post
Last is kind of more of guild thing. Operations generally speaking need 2 tanks, 2 heals and rest DPS for 8man level. 4 tanks and 4 heals for 16 generally speaking. Specific Operations and bosses could call for different results and content.
Sigh.

You do not need 4 tanks for anything. It's 1 or 2 tanks in both 8-man and 16-man ops

Dolicoja
03.28.2012 , 01:17 AM | #7
Some great answers above.

1. You can get pretty detailed with this, or keep it simple. The following link is an amazing guide (from this forum) for crafting.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530

2. Flashpoints/Operations. Was well answered above. Can't really get into strategy, as each fight is unique. A good couple things to learn would be utilizing crowd control abilities & focus firing. For you, that means your whirlwind (a 60 second CC that allows your group to focus on other targets while he's CC'd). Focus fire will help your group quite a bit. You want to try to damage the main target of the tank. This lets the tank hold enemy attention better and makes things less chaotic for the group. (IE, if you're hitting things the tank isn't, that guys attention will be on you - which means the healer now has to heal you and the tank. Get a few guys doing that, and it's much harder on everyone). Focus fire generally also helps things die faster. Sorry if that was to simple, not sure of your experience, but wanted to throw a couple good starter points in case you didn't know.

As far as makeup. For a flashpoint, you're looking for 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps. For an OPS, Azzirith was spot on.

3. Character building. You'll want Willpower as your primary stat. And
Quote: Originally Posted by Kynthrie
Aside from that it depends on your advanced class what is important thereafter. Again in this case you are after more Willpower with say Alacrity and Power if heals, Crit and accuracy if DPS. Or some combination of those four until maxed level.
One thing I'd like to add, (in case you build new characters) is you can easily see your primary stat focus in your character window. Just hit "C" and look at the stats when you make a character. Your two highest stats will be Endurance and something else. Those will be what you want to focus on.

Here is another guide from this forum that is very helpful to newer players.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612

Eternalnight
03.28.2012 , 01:20 AM | #8
As for Stats, while the OP did not specify well enough, at what level does he want information on them, people replying are assuming too much.

Maybe it is possible that he already knows the most simple basics, such as that his primary stat is willpower and the question is more about the order of importance and ideal amounts of secondary stats (such as Crit rating, Surge ratin, Power, Alacrity rating and so on) for those I would suggest looking answers in the Sorcerer forums
http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=44

As for endurance that everybody keeps mentioning as first thing, since endurance only increases you max hp and sorcerer is not a tank but either a ranged dps or a healer, they should be more concerned about stats that increase damage done or healing.
There is no reason to be concerned about endurance, since practically all gear has some endurance on it, so as you increase these other stats you'll get plenty of endurance anyway.

shama
03.28.2012 , 01:21 AM | #9
Well as you've said, it is to make money and items. So full potential? Depends on if you want to make money, make money by selling items you've created, or just make items for yourself.
Presumably you chose a crafting skill that creates things usable by your class, and if so maybe others will buy them. Put some on the GTN and find out. For example, one of my chars has armstech and can fairly consistently sell barrels ... even lower level barrels. So try things out and see what sells, if that's what you want to do. If you just want stuff for yourself then that is fine.
Read the posts in the crafting forum for in-depth information on what people think of each crafting skill.

Read the Operations forum. There are a number of different operations, each has their own strategy obviously. Do google searches for info on a particular operation if you're having trouble finding information.

In the "New Player Fleet Pass" at the top of this forum is a post about primary stats. It details what every stat is used for. You can then make up your own mind about what you should be looking for, stat wise, in items.
Or read the forum for your class/AC and just follow what everyone else does.

You mention the words "best" and "properly" a few times, which are very subjective terms rather than absolutes, but if you want to do what everyone else does then you should read the appropriate forums for those topics and follow the herd. Personally I'll read those and make up my own mind about what is best for me. This is probably the reason I don't have slicing OR bioanalysis as crew skills
Remember, any temporary imbalances in skills/classes/equipment will change over time as devs rebalance things so just play how you want to play. If you're having problems then by all means look for help and advice, but remember that opinions are like arseholes ... everyone has one, and some stink.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision