Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BioWare, let me make you some money.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
BioWare, let me make you some money.

Telarethiel
03.27.2012 , 07:06 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I think WoW hardcores claimed that achievemnet-posting epeen title long ago and didn't need today's social media tools to do it - just good old fashioned narcissism. In fact, many of them have opted to root themselves in these very forums!
Perhaps so, but I think you're missing the point. WoW was only brought up as a basis of comparison. If the MMO with the "most subscribers" doesn't even have such a feature, then you'd be doing something very different. It would need to be classy, of course; but it's yet another way that SWTOR could set itself apart. BioWare has proven they can do art and design quite well. For the player, it would be about bragging rights. You could even have an achievement listing, that friends (or whomever you chose) could query via the "app" or the social graph API. For BioWare, it's free advertising... a very specific kind. When you start facilitating sharing (bragging, in this case) you also create a different type of interest from what a commercial or graphic site advertisement can. You humanize the whole thing and give people an attainable goal: be better than their buddy. This is basic concept, once you're in-game... but what this does is help drive interest in competition befoe a player ever even "steps into the world."

It's not something I'd assume every player would use. Hardly. The interesting aspect here is that quite often, your hardcore players will be friends with other avid gamers... and that's who BioWare is going to make the most profits off of. More players drives more interest, more interest means more players. Rinse, repeat.

I can't speak to the codebase of SWTOR, but I'd wager adding such a hook would be fairly trivial compared to the other features already in the game even.

Didn't mean to "rant", but this has been floating around in my skull for a while. Why more MMO development houses don't do this is beyond me. Heck, it seems like everyone else is... and the genre lends itself quite well to the medium.

Telarethiel
03.27.2012 , 07:40 PM | #12
Oh yes, let's also not forget that you would likely bring in a fairly large number (in marketing terms, mind you) of Star Wars fans that might not otherwise play an MMO, simply due to seeing lore ocurrences.

Darth_Moonshadow
03.27.2012 , 09:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Telarethiel View Post
Even the mighty WoW can't claim that yet, so you'd be breaking ground.
Actually, WoW already did it. I liked the Activity Feed on Facebook.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

StephenReid
03.27.2012 , 11:18 PM | #14
Integration between social networks and SWTOR has been discussed. Of course, many things are discussed.

If/when it happens, we'll try to ensure it's beneficial and complementary to the game experience.

Cormey
03.27.2012 , 11:20 PM | #15
Not for me,thanks. Stuff like this is actually th number 1 reason people get unfriended on facebook. No one cares that you ran that raid for the hundredth time.
Syff, Suder, Lieutenant Lonn, Captain Maureen.
Tassitan, Darth Vandicus, Agent Cormoran, Marin.
Blazerunner legacy, Lord Adraas server

The sees all

Kemic
03.28.2012 , 08:08 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
you do know that websites will pop up adds for sites that you visit a lot, if you clear your cache or memory or whatever it is for web browsing then you will not see swtor ads, if you go to the site a lot it will show more
The truly ironic thing about this, is that they like to advertise you stuf you've looked at yourself. They claim you went there because of their advertisement cluttering up what would otherwise be a beautiful webpage.

Yep, you saw where I went and then told me about it. Good job Google, you must be so proud ^_^ /sarcasm

Amatiste
03.28.2012 , 08:58 AM | #17
LOTRO has mylotro. I love it, it allows me to look at all my alts when im not in game, or see where my kinmates are and what they are up to. Also, it allows me to check a kinmate's gear for crafting without havingto constantly ask them to link it. That way I know what i need to make for em. This would be great in this game. I was actually planning on putting something like this in suggestion box. Only thing i would say, make it native to swtor, not facebook. I am not a member of facebook, nor do I wish to be.

JoyProtocol
03.28.2012 , 09:16 AM | #18
In all fairness, a friend of mine set up RIFT Facebook feed, and that convinced me to try out the game. The stuff he was achieving sounded like fun.

I would suggest an improvement on RIFT's mechanic - the player should be able to add a twitter-like short message to the achievement

underclocker
03.28.2012 , 09:55 AM | #19
The first thing I did when the evil-W-game added facebook-support was trying to deactivate it. I had to wait a whole patch for it and I hated it.

Not everyone likes social networks and not everyone wants that those "data-kraken" collect their data. There are probably plenty articles about those networks, if you care for your privacy take a good read, you might cancel your social-whatever account afterwards ;-)

And honestly: Ive got alot friends/family who don't care for gaming, if I would spam messages each time I did something special, they would not like that
Mitglied von Sithology und Veteran des Squadron 950A

Nukenin
03.28.2012 , 11:08 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Integration between social networks and SWTOR has been discussed. Of course, many things are discussed.

If/when it happens, we'll try to ensure it's beneficial and complimentary to the game experience.
As long as it's not integral to the game experience. I'd rather have more robust in-game (and/or official website) social mechanisms than see any official integration between SWTOR and third-party social networks.