Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[FIX] Intermittent Game Freezes

frankja
12.16.2011 , 09:36 AM | #1
During beta, we uncovered a bug in the game client that has unfortunately has not been fixed. Happily it is one that has a workaround.

Symptoms:
  • Your game runs perfectly, except for every 50 seconds, almost exactly, the game's graphics will suddenly freeze with no warning. This freeze lasts for approximately 5 seconds, and then everything continues fine.
  • Your sound still works, and the mouse cursor is still responsive - only the 'rendered' graphics are frozen.
  • Your CPU's usage drops to practically 0 during these 5 seconds.

This fix applies to:
This fix/workaround applies to machines that meet the following conditions:
  • Your computer is currently part of domain (i.e., a work laptop).
  • Your domain controller is offline, in another location, or in some way unreachable by your computer.
  • You are currently logged into your machine under a domain account.

Cause/Workaround/Resolution
This intermittent screen 'lag', or freezing, seems to be caused by a bug in the game client that hangs the graphics whenever the computer attempts to reach out to the domain controller. I'm not sure why this is, however during Beta Bioware's Customer Service reps were made aware of the problem. Hopefully a real fix is coming soon.

In the meantime, there are a couple workarounds that will help:
  1. If you are an administrator, create a new local account for your machine. Run SW:TOR from that account.
  2. If this is a work machine, your office probably provided you with a VPN client. Run the VPN client and connect to your office. This will allow the machine to talk to the domain controllers, thus removing the lag. Note that your game will still use your normal internet connection. It will not tunnel through your work.

If your machine doesn't conform to the specifications in the 'applies to' section, then this fix obviously will not work. If it does, but you're unable to do either of the workarounds above, you may need to speak with your office's IT department for more assistance.

Please keep this thread limited to issues involving this particular problem. I have no workaround for other graphics problems such as sluggish graphics, clients crashing to desktop, or BSODs.

Hope this helps a few of you, it was a pain to track down!

frankja
12.16.2011 , 12:47 PM | #2
bumping.

Anicetus
12.16.2011 , 03:13 PM | #3
OMG thank you! I think this fixed my issue. I used a local user account instead of logging into my SAMBA domain. I played for a few minutes and didn't have any intermittent freezes.

Why oh why isn't this issue in the knowledge base? I've had to put up with this since BETA.

frankja
12.16.2011 , 06:50 PM | #4
Glad I could help =)

MushMorton
12.17.2011 , 06:09 AM | #5
This has been driving me nuts since beta as well, thanks for figuring it out!

taurgiss
01.03.2012 , 04:07 AM | #6
oh my god.....

And here i was looking for the problem in my video drivers....

uamaelstrom
01.04.2012 , 01:06 PM | #7
Thank you SO much!! No idea how you found this, but I don't know if I ever would have.
(' ') - tunnelrat

renegadeimp
01.04.2012 , 01:08 PM | #8
It's been a known workaround since public beta started. I'm surprised they still havent fixed it yet.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

uamaelstrom
01.04.2012 , 03:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
It's been a known workaround since public beta started. I'm surprised they still havent fixed it yet.
Are you really?
(' ') - tunnelrat

jetsong
01.05.2012 , 09:39 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by uamaelstrom View Post
Are you really?
yeah, seriously. Before I saw this post I submitted a ticket on the item, explaining exactly what the problem was and got a requst for a dxdiag log....how brain-dead are the people reading the support tickets?

It never ceases to amaze me how a company will spend a buttload of money on advertising and once you are in their business, they treat you like garbage.