Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy system family tree---what is the benefit?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Legacy system family tree---what is the benefit?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RolyartNala
03.27.2012 , 01:36 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
Its a tool for rp-ers, that is it. Simply an in-game rp-ing tool just like any /wave or /bow command is in-game.
See, I'm going to disagree. /bow or /wave have practical & aesthetic value because they are tools for interacting with other players. The family tree as we currently understand it is not an interactive system, nor displayable to others. It has exactly the same value as just telling someone "Character A is character B's father."

It is a RP tool in the same sense that a baseball-sized D100 die is a RP tool. 2D10 works just as well, and takes less effort besides.

RolyartNala
03.27.2012 , 01:39 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoicraven View Post
it's there so you guys can complain about it
Again, who is complaining? I'm just making conversation on a slow work day.

Talorya
03.27.2012 , 01:42 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MinorDetail View Post
The Legacy system does give 50s something do to besides grinding endgame. And for support of Alts, to experience and make leveling a little bit easier than the grind it already is (doing all the quests a second/third time). Second, if you are a role-player nobody should be able to see your family tree anyways. Because, in roleplay wise you don't even know who's is his/her family until you asked, or get told, would be a mistake being able to see this.
Only if you haven't made any alts so far as it doesn't allow race change for existing characters. So if you've already made different races of different classes, getting them to be "related" is going to be pretty far fetched.

In this game your legacy name can be displayed, so you'd know that someone is of this legacy so they're related somehow to that name.

The flaw is that the legacy relationship is currently limited to just blood relations and marriages, instead of making it viable for non-blood related relations like clans (like Ventress' night sisters with a matriarch and sisterhood of assassins). If there was a Clan option for legacy relationships the system would be more fitting and complete, but again, being short sighted in terms of content development, BioWare opted for less and pawned off the whole "Anakin > luke x leia" family crap that SW is supposed to be about and based the entire Legacy system off of that. A legacy can be applied to a great many things, not all of them require blood relations.

Quote: Originally Posted by Helishron View Post
The family tree adds a bit of extra fun for players who want that bit of immersion into their characters. It allows one to create a fun story in their head about their characters. Bob the jedi is the long lost brother stan the sith. Its obviously a feature that not every one will like, want, or use but for the other players it will be a lot of fun.
I don't need the game to tell me that, I for one already made "Clans" for my characters to belong in instead of forcing them to be blood related. My characters belong to the greater will of the Clan regardless of their name, race, and class. They may be different species but they all do work to further the goals of the Clan. The legacy relation system in place in 1.2 is pointless for me since I have different races, and I refuse to bow to their inferior planning and lack of freedom for player choices.

Quote: Originally Posted by Semitote View Post
Yeah, family tree should def. show up as a tab when you inspect someone.
Or how about some sort of Legacy crest or pattern to display on your character/gear, or anything that shows off that this character belongs to a legacy in a more meaningful way than turning a title on or off. Other games have capes that display guild symbols, and while capes in this game isn't likely to happen, allow for a little doohickey to show off a player's unique legacy could be well appreciated.

Legacy as it stands doesn't really appeal to the people it was supposedly intended for. They wanted to "balance" the benefits of those who utilize it and those who haven't but couldn't figure out how. So they opted for the lazy approach, make it meaningless and have no effect on whether it's used or not.
I would have done different skill animations to be chosen if characters are linked, get the linked characters as a combat assist character/or temp companion for a few seconds (on a massive cooldown and restrictons), pass on Legacy gears by turning one of their gears into a legacy item that is available for the other characters to assess via the legacy menus.

There are tons of ways to make Legacy and the relationship options meaningful without upsetting game balance, but it wasn't planned as such, and it was delayed till now because they still had no clue as to how to get it to work. They need better designers, it's like they don't know how to make the game better and more meaningful as time goes on and keeps borrowing the same old crap other MMOs failed to do right in the first place. BioWare isn't really learning from other people's mistakes, they're repeating them at the moment and looking like they'll continue to repeat the mistakes until something drastic comes along.

GnatB
03.27.2012 , 02:05 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Talorya View Post
The flaw is that the legacy relationship is currently limited to just blood relations and marriages, instead of making it viable for non-blood related relations like clans (like Ventress' night sisters with a matriarch and sisterhood of assassins).
Except, you know, you're wrong. "Ally" and "Rival" are available relationships. So presumably you could make a republic "clan" made up of characters who are all allies of each other, and are all rivals with an imperial "clan" made up of imps who are all allies of each other.

(or one big cross faction clan that are all allies of each other).

Possible connections according to duffies movie:
Ally
Child
Adopted Child (seems like they could have just looped this in under Child, unless they actually force racial restrictions for child)
Sibling
Spouse
Rival

(and P.S. Not exactly new info, they've said all along you would be able to link friends and enemies in your legacy tree. Just the exact term used (ally and rival) wasn't really known.)

Jhayden
03.27.2012 , 02:12 PM | #35
i have to say if the family tree doesn't do the following:

1. required to use alt legacy moves
2. keep a record of your progress through the class story lines and your choices
3. can be seen when you inspect people....

i think its kinda worthless.. definitely a missed opportunity to be unique in the right way.
It has to be set so that everyone can get immersed in it, not just u. And it has to have real purpose not just cosmetics...

TakDagon
03.27.2012 , 02:13 PM | #36
Hey, OP. I have a question. I don't do PVP or a large amount of grouping/operations/etc. Why include those things and their systems in the game if they have no valid application to MY playing style?

Think about it, friend. Just because you don't see a value to it or it doesn't pertain to your play style, it doesn't mean it's useless. The family tree setup is an immersion and RP device that has potential to be used in future situations. Right now, it's more or less just for Role Players and for people who are going to take full advantage of the legacy system.

Get over the fact that there's something in the game that isn't focused directly on you or your play style. The rather large contingent of non Trolls that play this game would be grateful.

WillWallace
03.27.2012 , 02:17 PM | #37 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
All characters in your legacy get all of your global legacy unlocks, regardless of the arrangement of characters in your family tree.

The family tree is just a fun visualization of the relationships between your characters - we don't want you to ever have to "respec" your family to get the unlocks you want, or for guilds to require you to have a certain family arrangement in order to pick up the right rewards.
William Wallace
Senior Designer

RolyartNala
03.27.2012 , 02:58 PM | #38
Hi William,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the clarification on the design intent behind the family tree.

TheDragnet
03.27.2012 , 03:41 PM | #39
William Wallace Ally of Robert Bruce and Rival of Edward I?

Elmillia
03.27.2012 , 03:42 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by RolyartNala View Post
Someone please help me understand this.

From what I can tell, the family tree does bupkiss.

Zero. Zilch. Nada. It appears to be a fancy UI for linking your characters together, the in-game benefit of which appears to be squat. I mean, correct me if I missed something, but it doesn't appear to be tied to any of the level/credit-based rewards for the Legacy system.

The family tree appears to be so useless that not even role-players benefit from it, since you can't SHOW your family tree to other role-players. What, then, is the difference in benefit to role-playing between the family tree system in 1.2 and simply writing down your characters' family connections on a piece of scratch paper and then just telling people what they are?

I mean, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the system has no practical value (even to role-players)? If I am missing what the in-game benefit of the family tree is, someone please tell me. Thanks.
Not everything in the game has to be useful I do agree that there should be an OPTION to show it via the inspect system though.