Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

Vankris
03.26.2012 , 09:37 PM | #301
people are talking about what they need, for noble and serious reason as improving themselves, or learning the encounter.

other people are talking about noble thing like protecting the weak, privacy and the right to the difference.

How about simply plain fun?
Playing DPS, i would really want to know how am i doing and how is my colleague doing. Not for bashing, not necessarily for bettering myself, just for fun.

Yes, running operation is fun in itself, killing bosses, getting new loot, watching story, all good.
But, competing for fun with your friend or even with stranger, seeing how well you doing relatively to other, that also fun for me.

Does that make me a bad person? I just want to see, to know. I'm not gonna bash or rant after someone dps, if he is really bad, to a point where some operation are impossible, then i might "choose" the PUG in which i go into but that is the extend of it, i will never belittle or brag.

i just want to have fun.

Ulmius
03.26.2012 , 10:01 PM | #302
The SWTOR devs used to be against dungeon finder tools, however they caved and are going to add them. You can read about it here. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...r-the-future/4

Rift devs used to be against addons. But they added them.
Rift devs also used to be against cross server lfg tools. But they added them.

SWTOR devs were against combat logs. But they started adding them.

What do all these have in common? Players want these tools. While the vocal minority purists may be against them, many players do want such tools. Trust me when I say that within 1 year this game will have addons and full combat logs instead of just personal logs.

Notice I said purists, not casuals. Casuals are people that enjoy experiencing the content instead of having a challenge. Casuals are the ones that play for a few hours a week. Casuals don't care if you put addons in the game, combat logs, or dungeon finder tools (although with their limited time they probably prefer dungeon finders). Purists however are the ones against addons, combat logs, dungeon finder tools, etc. Purists try to call themselves casual, however they don't realize that purist doesn't mean casual. Purists can be hardcore players that dedicate a lot of time to the game and want to experience the hardest content but make sure it's with nothing but the UI the devs give them. Casuals on the other hand cannot by definition, be a hardcore player.

itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 10:39 PM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
And this is why we can't have nice things?
You already got it... I don't understand what you're QQ ing about.....
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Matte_Black
03.26.2012 , 10:44 PM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by Vankris View Post
people are talking about what they need, for noble and serious reason as improving themselves, or learning the encounter.

other people are talking about noble thing like protecting the weak, privacy and the right to the difference.

How about simply plain fun?
Playing DPS, i would really want to know how am i doing and how is my colleague doing. Not for bashing, not necessarily for bettering myself, just for fun.

Yes, running operation is fun in itself, killing bosses, getting new loot, watching story, all good.
But, competing for fun with your friend or even with stranger, seeing how well you doing relatively to other, that also fun for me.

Does that make me a bad person? I just want to see, to know. I'm not gonna bash or rant after someone dps, if he is really bad, to a point where some operation are impossible, then i might "choose" the PUG in which i go into but that is the extend of it, i will never belittle or brag.

i just want to have fun.
Comparative Data Analysis = Fun?
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 10:59 PM | #305
Quote: Originally Posted by Matte_Black View Post
Comparative Data Analysis = Fun?
it's just a chicken sh*t way of saying they want to compete for epeen status.....
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Darnu
03.26.2012 , 11:36 PM | #306
yes please.

And by the way, it's funny when people talk about how hardcore raiding guilds in wow aren't "fun". OK so wiping non-stop is fun for some, others think killing bosses is fun. Some think playing at all is fun, some think playing well is fun. Get enough people in the game and you can make everyone happy because the community works that way and is diverse and big enough to have diverse guilds. Logs won't break that.

Also, funniest arguments ever: "Why are people looking at my performance and how I play and not just letting me play however I want? My $15 entitles me to play however I want and if it's bad you have no right to tell me or not want to play with me". Followed by "no-one takes the time to actually help me improve my performance anymore "

Stryges
03.27.2012 , 12:34 AM | #307
Quote: Originally Posted by itekazzawrrlic View Post
it's just a chicken sh*t way of saying they want to compete for epeen status.....
I don't care about epeen.

I care why some mobs kill me and some don't. I want to know what is shredding through my armor and what isn't. I want to know which of my attacks is performing better against certain mobs.

This is for casual, solo play.
"I know some people want death to be super punishing, but short of creating a meta game where you strip your character naked and taser yourself when you die, this game won't provide a punishing death experience for you." - GZ

Rtwozero
03.27.2012 , 03:27 AM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by Matte_Black View Post
Generally speaking, the "ePeen issue" is seen as more of one of the causes than the problem.

To go back to the car metaphor, the problem is when people are carpooling, they aren't discussing the sort of drive they'll be having beforehand and dissenters are being shoved out during the middle of the ride. There is also alot of frustration as the everyone shares the road and streetracers keep honking their horns because the traffic is not going their speed. In the end, I think BioWare built a scenic highway and not an expressway or racetrack.
This has nothing to do with combat logs. Combat logs don't have the power to remove you from a group only people do. Thankfully, unlike real life you can simple ignore all other road users and continue on your way. It is entirely your descission who you get into a car with and there is no reason to limit the make and model of vehicles available simply because some are happy with their current vehicle.

Just remember that combat logs only state mathamatical facts. They are not rude or arrogant.
- R2Zero - The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

RinqualFireburst
03.27.2012 , 03:28 AM | #309
What's the need for combat logs when everything is incredibly easy?

DarthKhaos
03.27.2012 , 03:35 AM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulmius View Post
The SWTOR devs used to be against dungeon finder tools, however they caved and are going to add them. You can read about it here. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...r-the-future/4

Rift devs used to be against addons. But they added them.
Rift devs also used to be against cross server lfg tools. But they added them.

SWTOR devs were against combat logs. But they started adding them.

What do all these have in common? Players want these tools. While the vocal minority purists may be against them, many players do want such tools. Trust me when I say that within 1 year this game will have addons and full combat logs instead of just personal logs.

Notice I said purists, not casuals. Casuals are people that enjoy experiencing the content instead of having a challenge. Casuals are the ones that play for a few hours a week. Casuals don't care if you put addons in the game, combat logs, or dungeon finder tools (although with their limited time they probably prefer dungeon finders). Purists however are the ones against addons, combat logs, dungeon finder tools, etc. Purists try to call themselves casual, however they don't realize that purist doesn't mean casual. Purists can be hardcore players that dedicate a lot of time to the game and want to experience the hardest content but make sure it's with nothing but the UI the devs give them. Casuals on the other hand cannot by definition, be a hardcore player.
And as you can see from this thread people also don't want it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Stryges View Post
I don't care about epeen.

I care why some mobs kill me and some don't. I want to know what is shredding through my armor and what isn't. I want to know which of my attacks is performing better against certain mobs.

This is for casual, solo play.
And the private combat logs is a great compromise for those who do and those who don't. You get the data to help you improve yourself and thy don't feel like they are playing numbers but a game.

Win win.

Also in regards of fun we are talking about the fun derived. Note the actions of some affect more than themselves.
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================