Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 03:43 PM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by itekazzawrrlic View Post
Really misinformed.
I'm talking about rec sports, bro. And it's about love of the game, not necessarily getting paid. Although, some folks do get paid to play games. Be it from sponsors or from selling credits or accounts.

As non-serious as you want to make MMOs, folks can make a lot of money off of 'em, but that's beside the real point.

Also...it's an analogy. I can't understand why folks don't understand what an analogy is. It's simply a similarity between like features of two different things, on which one can base a comparison. Which is what I did.
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 03:46 PM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by Stupiddrummer View Post
Just to be clear, one side here is arguing that we should add full combat logs and combat data into the game.

The other side here is arguing that the opposition shouldn't be given full combat logs and combat data.

Does that sound right?
I think it's more complex than that. I think some folks don't want others seeing what they're doing, but are ok with the OOG combat logs that will be available. Some are totally against them. And still some want real-time combat logs/damage meters.
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi

ragamer's Avatar


ragamer
03.26.2012 , 03:47 PM | #293
Just a bunch of facts:

- If you need to compare your DPS with others in real time, you are just looking to showoff. If you want to improve your DPS and analyze a combat you just need what BW is providing.

- Behind the reasson "it's too slow to compare" e-peen contesters are just hiding the fact they have not enough game mechanics knowledge to compare different logs coming from different players. They just need the "black magic" of parser programmers to adapt their gameplay to them. So no, a comparative tool doesn't help you learn the game better or faster than the combat log that's been provided by BW.

- Ranks on DPS meters just promote average DPS... They systematically hide burst DPS which is as important to fullfill the goal than the miriad of stupid things (mainly AOEing when it's not needed) E-peen contesters do to "score high". OFC, linked to this is the systematic "parser discrimination" as the new popular way to create FOTM builds/classes.

- Threatmeters are basically equal to removing threat from a game... Unless some ppl refuses to use them, makes ALL "reaction" tools (like taunts & agro dumpers) irrelevant = poorer gameplay. They are usually needed by ppl that simply have no clue how important is to learn how threat is generated on PvE... Basically PvPers that want to PvE casually.


That's why I'm so sure I will not see Threatmeters on the game...

...It's one of those Priority Reassons to cancel my Sub... I just like Team PvE too much to whistand it seeing it converted to pointless predictable scenarios were you spend more time looking at moving bars than looking at the enemies you need to kill... It's what I did on WoW and Rift and what I will do here.


EDIT: Oh, btw, when you see ppl claiming that BW "confirmed" dpsmeters & threatmeters in the future, they are just having some issues distinguishing between "confiming the pressence of a feature" and "thinking on the pressence of a feature"... Which, ofc, makes a lot of a difference on what you will find really implemented at a given time.

itekazzawrrlic's Avatar


itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 03:51 PM | #294
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
I'm talking about rec sports, bro. And it's about love of the game, not necessarily getting paid. Although, some folks do get paid to play games. Be it from sponsors or from selling credits or accounts.

As non-serious as you want to make MMOs, folks can make a lot of money off of 'em, but that's beside the real point.

Also...it's an analogy. I can't understand why folks don't understand what an analogy is. It's simply a similarity between like features of two different things, on which one can base a comparison. Which is what I did.
It's a bad analogy because it's not a game for them, it's JOB.. That point makes it a really bad analogy.

It's still just a game...... bro..... Not only that it's a VIDEO game. Video games are made and marketed to be FUN.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

amantheil's Avatar


amantheil
03.26.2012 , 03:56 PM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevvy
Need ingame real combat logs. Anyone that doesn't support such a system is probably a bad DPSer that is in fear of losing their raid spot for being bad at their one, easy job.
Don't need ingame real combat logs. Anybody that does support such a system is probably a bad DPSer that cares more about being #1 on the log instead of worrying about fight mechanics, utility, crowd control, or helping the healer. They're in fear of losing their raid spot because the only thing they can do is stand in one place and go through their pre-planned rotation over and over.

See, I can make broad, unfounded, general statements also!

TiamatB's Avatar


TiamatB
03.26.2012 , 03:56 PM | #296
Will having combat log destroy the game or not ? --> Nope it won't
Will not having combat log destroy the game or not ? --> Nope it won't

People who like to do math and be better at their raid spot need this.
People who don't really care about math and wanna have fun don't need this.

On way or the other, it's in the devs hands.

Personnaly, I really don't care, one way or the other, but what I don't understand is the war that's going on between pros and cons ... why do you need to fight one another ?

Seriously, for the cons, will having combat logs ruin your game ?

Sure, some people using combat logs to get stats and be jerks, but they're already jerks, with or without it, they'll just prove it by showing numbers and using them to exclude people, but let's face it, they already exclude people that don't have a specific amount of health. But these are not the majority, most people want combat logs to better themselves in the role of their toon, is that bad ? Nah

Just my 2 cents

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 03:57 PM | #297
Quote: Originally Posted by itekazzawrrlic View Post
It's a bad analogy because it's not a game for them, it's JOB.. That point makes it a really bad analogy.

It's still just a game...... bro..... Not only that it's a VIDEO game. Video games are made and marketed to be FUN.
Once again, I was referencing Recreational sports. And, believe it or not, some folks have fun competing and getting paid.
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi

itekazzawrrlic's Avatar


itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 03:58 PM | #298
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleopas View Post
Once again, I was referencing Recreational sports. And, believe it or not, some folks have fun competing and getting paid.
Then this game isn't for you....... Go play WOW.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Stupiddrummer's Avatar


Stupiddrummer
03.26.2012 , 04:22 PM | #299
Quote: Originally Posted by TiamatB View Post
Will having combat log destroy the game or not ? --> Nope it won't
Will not having combat log destroy the game or not ? --> Nope it won't

People who like to do math and be better at their raid spot need this.
People who don't really care about math and wanna have fun don't need this.

On way or the other, it's in the devs hands.

Personnaly, I really don't care, one way or the other, but what I don't understand is the war that's going on between pros and cons ... why do you need to fight one another ?

Seriously, for the cons, will having combat logs ruin your game ?

Sure, some people using combat logs to get stats and be jerks, but they're already jerks, with or without it, they'll just prove it by showing numbers and using them to exclude people, but let's face it, they already exclude people that don't have a specific amount of health. But these are not the majority, most people want combat logs to better themselves in the role of their toon, is that bad ? Nah

Just my 2 cents
Good post!

Cleopas's Avatar


Cleopas
03.26.2012 , 05:51 PM | #300
Quote: Originally Posted by itekazzawrrlic View Post
Then this game isn't for you....... Go play WOW.
And this is why we can't have nice things?
Cleopas--Sorcerer
Sapoelc--Powertech
GM of Hadishi