Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PLEASE VOTE: Give Us Real Combat Logs

Matte_Black
03.26.2012 , 06:13 AM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by crimsonsglory View Post
Good point. They should remove the inspect feature too. You shouldn't see what gears I'm wearing, les I be judge by you.
If they were going to do combat logs on a toggle out basis (which they aren't), I think tying the inspect function to the same toggle would make perfect sense.
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

itekazzawrrlic
03.26.2012 , 06:25 AM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by Frostvein View Post
And you assume he is? Even so after the first 2 or 3 times through I dont know if even the most avaid story lovers listen to the same sidequests.

There comes a tipping point where no matter how much one enjoys the story, the endgame becomes the primairy focus for the vast majority of people. The endgame in this mmo is lacking. Lack of a viable combat log is part of that problem. The new one isn't going to help much in that regard.
Maybe for you... It's a good thing you're not everyone.
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?

SWG Gorath

Marak
03.26.2012 , 06:44 AM | #193
Universal truths about life:

Some people enjoy checkers. Some people enjoy chess. MMOs are caught in the balancing act of appeasing both.

High end "competitive" raiders like the thrill of the chess match that is a suitably challenging raid. Spending hours analyzing data and strategy is the name of the game for these people and once the curve breaks beyond the threshold of trivializing content than they require new challenging content to satisfy their reason for playing. It's not just about showing up every week for these people.

The low end enjoys the simpler aspect of gameplay. Being able to see the content and waste a few hours here and there in a lackadaisical manner.

Both are absolutely vital to the success of an MMO. The high end pushes the game forward and makes it relevant to the gamer community as a whole. The low end sustains it.

Think of a car analogy. There are racecar drivers that make car culture sexy, intriguing, and "hardcore" and there are Sunday drivers who just like to meander along and enjoy the ride. Both are part of the big business of car culture.

The problem is when Group A mingles with Group B. If you put a Sunday driver on a race track someone is going to get hurt. The racers can't effectively run their race and the Sunday driver gets frustrated at the stress and wants people to stop honking at him.

Lobbying for one side or the other is detrimental to the culture as a whole. If you are a Sunday driver than lobby for more casual friendly scenic drive content--not against tachometers. Let the racers have their races. No one is forcing you to get on the track.

Vahzl
03.26.2012 , 06:46 AM | #194
I don't want them, nor do I care for them. No vote in favor from me.

I have a winkie in real life, I don't need to gratify myself with numbers.
Click here to visit my Videogames Review Site
@XtraLifeBastion <-- Follow me on Twitter!
"I stopped eating McDonalds last year, but this doesn't mean I should write them a tear filled letter telling them why I have done so, I just don't give them money and don't go into the restaurants"

Rtwozero
03.26.2012 , 07:02 AM | #195
Combat log should be standard. If you don't like to use them then don't.

If you ever want to have a mmo with long lasting and challenging content then you will need to implement realtime combat logs BW.

You do know how to do realtime combat logs right? Or are RT logs new 'technology' like mass character transfers, region by region maintenance and inviting from your guild list?

I can't understand why this game is worth a $15 a month sub. The features provided are just not worth that. And here we are on the forums having to argue for features that should have been implemented at launch.
- R2Zero - The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

Rtwozero
03.26.2012 , 07:07 AM | #196
@Marak

Perfect analogy. If anyone reads that and still talks rubbish about epeens etc then they miss the entire point of combat logs.
- R2Zero - The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

Matte_Black
03.26.2012 , 07:26 AM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Rtwozero View Post
@Marak

Perfect analogy. If anyone reads that and still talks rubbish about epeens etc then they miss the entire point of combat logs.
Generally speaking, the "ePeen issue" is seen as more of one of the causes than the problem.

To go back to the car metaphor, the problem is when people are carpooling, they aren't discussing the sort of drive they'll be having beforehand and dissenters are being shoved out during the middle of the ride. There is also alot of frustration as the everyone shares the road and streetracers keep honking their horns because the traffic is not going their speed. In the end, I think BioWare built a scenic highway and not an expressway or racetrack.
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

nottu
03.26.2012 , 07:29 AM | #198
Althought I think combat logs help to achieve a more competitive gameplay, I don't see the point on "having them in-game conveniently". Why? Are we too lazy to check the TXT after the fight? Or maybe is that you just want it to show off? If I recall ALT+TAB works wonders...

Let the racers race but not over all the others, even if they are driving an old car, you can still have your time checking your/their data when the race finishes, as I'll do.

Marak
03.26.2012 , 07:35 AM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by Matte_Black View Post
Generally speaking, the "ePeen issue" is seen as more of one of the causes than the problem.

To go back to the car metaphor, the problem is when people are carpooling, they aren't discussing the sort of drive they'll be having beforehand and dissenters are being shoved out during the middle of the ride. There is also alot of frustration as the everyone shares the road and streetracers keep honking their horns because the traffic is not going their speed. In the end, I think BioWare built a scenic highway and not an expressway or racetrack.
Like I said, both are important. The fact that "Hard Mode" and "Nightmare Mode" raids exist show there are race tracks in this game.

There are compromises if we wanted to get creative about this. Disabling damage meters for anything outside of a HM/NM raid would be acceptable, I think. That separates the racers from the commuters fairly adequately without marginalization.

Vankris
03.26.2012 , 07:44 AM | #200
Somehow dps meter seems to be frightning some people, i don't understand why, they are tools to help you.

I place them on the very same level as your HP bar, your energy bar, or your buff bar, they give you information about you, your group and the boss.

Can you imagine a boss without a HP bar, you have no idea what life left on the boss, then he suddenly drop dead, but you didn't see it coming.

Somehow, HP bar are widely accepted among player, while DPS/HPS/TPS bar aren't.

Buff bar is widely accepted in the community, but seeing who go hit by the cleave or the fire on the ground, people don't wont to know.

I don't get it