Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

Riiquiem
03.19.2012 , 02:47 PM | #11
Today I reached valor rank 60 and got my first BM pieces and it's only the ear and belt

Besides from crit which is essential for energy regeneration with DOT spec I came to the conclusion that GS is NOT very gear dependent. Well at least once you get centurion set that is very easy to collect, you just own everything.

At the moment I equipped full champion and BM ear/belt from the enforcer set.
Additional 5 energy just beats everything else. Still I used the crit/surge mods from other T2 sets.

As already mentioned I'm running dirty fighting atm with 2/8/31
Link here

I tried SS, Sab, DF/SAB hybrid and well everything possible but for now I don't feel like going into detail.
If someone wishes I will post them later on.
Child of Murakami Orchid - now The Jedi Tower:
The Belegendary Legacy

Aerilon - 50 Gunslinger :: Riqui - 50 Shadow :: Riiquiem - 50 Sage
Jeendra - 48 Sentinel :: C'assus - 24 Commando

GalnarDegana
03.19.2012 , 05:18 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Riiquiem View Post
Today I reached valor rank 60 and got my first BM pieces and it's only the ear and belt

Besides from crit which is essential for energy regeneration with DOT spec I came to the conclusion that GS is NOT very gear dependent. Well at least once you get centurion set that is very easy to collect, you just own everything.

At the moment I equipped full champion and BM ear/belt from the enforcer set.
Additional 5 energy just beats everything else. Still I used the crit/surge mods from other T2 sets.

As already mentioned I'm running dirty fighting atm with 2/8/31
Link here

I tried SS, Sab, DF/SAB hybrid and well everything possible but for now I don't feel like going into detail.
If someone wishes I will post them later on.
I feel that Dirty Fighting definitely has potential for the largest damage gains. I am surprised that you don't have Independent Anarchy full spent. I think I will try your build when my respec doesn't cost 100k lol. Right now, I am unfortunately stuck in my PvE spec, which is quite frustrating in PvP. Hunker Down isn't up as much in my PvE spec, since I don't take Lay Low, so I get torn to shreds with CC.

Riiquiem
03.19.2012 , 05:23 PM | #13
I don't use sab charge often I find it viable only when u need a short burst.
If i had the points I'd max it out but there just aren't any I could switch.

All in all it's nothing special just standard DF spec.
The Belegendary Legacy

GalnarDegana
03.19.2012 , 05:27 PM | #14
I don't use sab charge often I find it viable only when u need a short burst.
If i had the points I'd max it out but there just aren't any I could switch.

All in all it's nothing special just standard DF spec.
Yeah, but it also affects Thermal Grenade, which is already getting a buff in the DF tree anyway. That is why I take three points there, and leave it off of Steady Shots. I am curious though, if Steady Shots will make a difference, so I want to try it. Overall, yes, your build is very similar to mine when it comes to DF.

By the way, grats on BM, and I hope to join you within the week. I am super busy with a midterm, but if I am lucky, I will probably get the last 2 ranks before Saturday.

Riiquiem
03.19.2012 , 05:37 PM | #15
Due to energy management I ain't using TG often^^
Seriously it's just not needed at least not for DF.
20 energy cost for about 1200 dmg is just too much.
In a 1vs1 situation you can spam your *** off but if you are aiming for high damage without going oom you have to think about your skill rotation.

I will post my energy management tommorrow, am quite tired now and will head for my bed
The Belegendary Legacy

Riiquiem
03.21.2012 , 02:10 AM | #16
First of all I'm using the Enforcer set 'cause mainly cause of its energy bonus.
Since I'm ALWAYS focused the 1 sec longer dodge duration is highly appreciated.
You might think 5 energy isn't worth over FrighterFlyby duration or Quickdraw/Distraction range increasement.
But to become effective with DF is very energy dependant - never stop shooting and you'll always be on top of the scoreboard. And that's what pvp is all about: being better than the others and making them cry, period.

So 5 energy help you to keep up your rotations -> higher dmg.
In addition I NEVER found myself thinking "oh I wish I had a longer range .. meh..".
Guys seriously we play DF for mobility. If you know what you are doing you are not out of range.
Therefore the Tech set is simply not very viable to me.

However it's essential for you to have a high crit chance. Reach 35% without buffs and you are pretty fine. Then use your buffs, stims, increased crit chance in talent tree + 75% crit multiply and your DOT's tear everyone apart.

This may sound obvious but is very important for keeping up your energy.
Once you used a DOT.. !WAIT for it to end! before you apply it again.
While your DOTs are ticking never stop shooting! Use thermal grenade, sab charge, flourish shot, you can use wounding shots multiple times before your DOTs run out and most important USE FLURRY OF BOLTS after every skill.
This allows you to regen 5 - 10 energy due to global cooldown and keeps up your dmg while increasing dmg and minimizing wasting time for cool downs.

Use obstacles to get you out of the enemies LOS which is easy because your DOTs will kill them even when you are running from them. Mobility and kiting increase your survivability -> more time to deal more dmg and so on...
Also always look for weak targets, DOT healers so they are forced to move or heal themselves.

Just keep in mind that you have to shoot whenever possible. Don't start to wait for cds!
One thing remains hidden to MANY players... stay calm.
Don't just spam everything you have, thats not the point. Always fill pauses between powerful skills with Flurry of Bolts.

As I mentioned before this all sounds obvious to many of you but you won't believe how little players actually watch the time of their DOTs or use flurry of bolts often.. whatever this is hard to write down so I'll maybe add a video of me showing you what I'm talking about.
The Belegendary Legacy

GalnarDegana
03.21.2012 , 02:44 PM | #17
This is great advice, and I will add it to the DF section for sure.

I use the Field Tech set, mainly because it puts Distraction at the same range as your other blaster skills. Granted, I am primarily Sab/SS, and only recently tried DF. For those two, though, it is very useful to be able to interrupt from where you are in cover without having to move, which could open you up to many attacks. Considering how often healers try to move out of your range anyway, it can be useful to have that extra range.

Also, I have been able to stop a cap at least a dozen times that I wouldn't have been able to stop with Freighter Flyby's longer duration. It's aid is probably immeasurable, honestly.

With Quickdraw extended, I can often get off that last killing blow on runners too.

For DF, however, I can definitely see that Enforcer is superior. You don't need the range for the kill on runners: your DoTs will do that for you, especially since they hit harder if the target is under 30% health. The energy issues are helped with the larger pool, and since you spend more time out of cover and in the thick of things, the extra second on Dodge can actually make a large difference. If you were to pop that right before someone attacked you, then effectively you can dodge 3 skills on the GCD timer, versus just 2.

If I ever have the resources, I will probably try to get each of these sets.

When I get a chance, I will update this with your post, and a video would be great! I can add the link to that as well.

Riiquiem
03.25.2012 , 11:44 PM | #18
Due to changes in 1.2 patch I'm rolling the field-tech set right now.
5 more energy is nice but no longer needed and then the tech set bonus comes in much more handy.

It's sad that no one else wanted to say something about our thoughts.
However we should overwork the guide as soon as 1.2 has been released.

Sorry for no posts lately, university is keeping me busy. I'm still there don't worry.
The Belegendary Legacy

GalnarDegana
03.26.2012 , 12:43 AM | #19
Due to changes in 1.2 patch I'm rolling the field-tech set right now.
5 more energy is nice but no longer needed and then the tech set bonus comes in much more handy.

It's sad that no one else wanted to say something about our thoughts.
However we should overwork the guide as soon as 1.2 has been released.

Sorry for no posts lately, university is keeping me busy. I'm still there don't worry.
Yeah, same, got a take-home midterm I am procrastinating for right now!

And I am waiting for Patch 1.2, like you said, to put up some changes. I know my personal favorite spec will be mostly unchanged, since it is Saboteur, but I would definitely be interested to get your thoughts on the DF changes, since they are a little more involved. The fact that Hemorrhaging Blast is free makes things a LOT more conservative energy-wise, so that is nice.

I did add a link to the guide to a post I made on my blog about the changes coming in 1.2. I will incorporate them into the guide when they go live, since they could change.

Also, I have to go back and change all my builds (*curses to himself soflty*).

Will be quite busy!

Just made Battlemaster last night, how is your gear grind going? I have implants now!

GalnarDegana
03.26.2012 , 12:55 AM | #20
Riiquiem's information on energy conservation in Dirty Fighting added to guide now. Thanks Riiquiem for the great posts, and I look forward to more correspondence.