Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Understanding the Defense and Shield Mechanics for Tanks in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Understanding the Defense and Shield Mechanics for Tanks in PVP

taugrimtaugrim
03.15.2012 , 02:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Maestrodomus View Post
This sucks for SinTanks, but I still have my mitigation up to 43%, and ya know, you'd be surprised about how many "white" hits there are in pvp. My shield and defenses are going off constantly because most people are idiots or can't manage their resources properly.

Not to mention I'm fully immune to force and tech for 5 sec with a 45 sec cool down.
I used to share that impression as well, but after watching 31-pt Shadow/Assassin tanks in PVP, their survivability is excellent. The channeled interruptable heal is excellent in smaller scale combat, along with the heal proc from the tank stance.

Resilence rocks, and you also have Deflection.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
03.15.2012 , 02:16 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CygnisJunior View Post
So in your iron fist build, do you used dps gear or tank gear? (I assume you use a shield generator either way)
http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-...-pvp/#pvp-gear

4-pc Combat Tech, or 4-pc Supercommando with mods swapped out for DPS ones. Take your pic.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

NeverRose
03.24.2012 , 07:53 PM | #23
So are there going to be some changes concerning Defense and Shielding for PvP in 1.2 or do they keep it as it is?

All I' ve heard were rumours...
It doesn't feel, it doesn't think, it doesn't laugh or cry. All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
l Sphinx l l ToFN l
l Eria l l Shadow l

taugrimtaugrim
04.04.2012 , 08:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by NeverRose View Post
So are there going to be some changes concerning Defense and Shielding for PvP in 1.2 or do they keep it as it is?
Haven't seen anything on the 1.2 PTS patch notes to indicate that the mechanics for Defense or Shield are changing in 1.2.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

WHATEVERTNS
04.17.2012 , 06:45 PM | #25
I found your information about defence stat on pvp really amazing m8. But Im still confused if its worth to buy the tanking set instead of the dps. Im playing a 50lvl Sith Juggernaut. Any help appreciated.
Opinions are like ******es. Everyone has one...

MasterFeign
05.05.2012 , 02:52 PM | #26
I am confused as to why then, that the new War Hero gear for assassin tanks (Survivor set), has more shield chance than the battlemaster set? I understand expertise comes into play here, but should I just use mods from other sets that have more of a defense chance (if there is any)?

Philosomanic
05.31.2012 , 07:57 AM | #27
One thing you might want to mention. Shadows actually have a base Defense rate of 10%, not 5%. I'm not sure if any other classes have a different base value.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion

Ailie
07.09.2012 , 10:39 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
I am confused as to why then, that the new War Hero gear for assassin tanks (Survivor set), has more shield chance than the battlemaster set? I understand expertise comes into play here, but should I just use mods from other sets that have more of a defense chance (if there is any)?
It also has less endurance.

I'm more and more inclined to stop getting war hero gear and just remod my existing BM. Also run with a focus instead of a shield. Seems pretty stupid to make one class next to useless in pvp and only average in pve.

thegreebler
08.09.2012 , 04:25 AM | #29
Lots of good info.

Maybe if we do a duel/parse where we find out spec/dmg etc... shouldnt be hard to figure it out.

This would be much more effective than relying on things the devs say or even on WZ success/fail; limit the situation to isolate the test - have a means to accurately display the results.

Then we can decide from there.

Good greeblings.
For everything we do, we are greebling.
For everything that is, that is the grobble.
Everything not at peace, is ungreebly.
When there is no greebling, that is the true grobble.

thegreebler
08.20.2012 , 12:31 AM | #30
Good greeblings
For everything we do, we are greebling.
For everything that is, that is the grobble.
Everything not at peace, is ungreebly.
When there is no greebling, that is the true grobble.