Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Ancientwolfgr
03.21.2012 , 12:02 PM | #601
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Here's a great read from Forbes that talks about everything I've been saying over the past weeks in this thread... how times are changing, the Apple dominance is unstoppable. It affects directly why BioWare needs to supper the Mac.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjack...e-end-of-2015/
You talk like the numbers the writer throws out are solid, and a set roadmap. It's a media hype for investors fellah.

After all this time, the market share for the Big A is still small. Small shares don't always mean small profits, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't always translate into profits for other companies or people. If A had to rely on its chief product it'd died a long time ago, they've done what every other entity in their position has done- keep throwing out new stuff in new areas. (Which they systematically get killed in in short order) <--- Thats why they wont even pay taxes in the US.

Its great you are hyping the Gucci of the computer world, but it is what it is- an expensive computer line that really, holds no additional value over other computers, and is subject to clever marketing. The people who are truly capable of buying into Apple products actually, should be in the first place, and, as a matter of style should have no issue buying the "Windows" accessory-

It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping. BW already made note about a mac client, and its not in the near future. Continually bumping the 2 threads about it between the 18 of you wont change the timeline, let alone the truth of the matter. Not everyone will buy into the hype.

Apocalypsezero
03.21.2012 , 12:12 PM | #602
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancientwolfgr View Post
It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping.
I believe there was a study that shows women prefer men with an iPhone over other smart phones. So I guess they have that going for them. I prefer my droid though, I can do what I want with it.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Ancientwolfgr
03.21.2012 , 12:17 PM | #603
Quote: Originally Posted by Apocalypsezero View Post
I believe there was a study that shows women prefer men with an iPhone over other smart phones. So I guess they have that going for them. I prefer my droid though, I can do what I want with it.
It's because it translates into "Cannot see beyond the surface for what something really is" and "Has the extra cash to throw around" AND "Easily lead by the nose".

Excellent fish bait for the sharks out there. My wifes a model with a degree and would never touch a Apple product.

Toxen
03.21.2012 , 12:36 PM | #604
My wifes a model with a degree and would never touch a Apple product.
I believe you.
"Peace is a lie, there is only pancake."

Toxen
03.23.2012 , 04:28 PM | #605
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Don't make assumptions, please.

I said we're not currently working on a Mac client. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Mac client in the future; as various interviews have stated, it's always possible.

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

So does this mean that they changed their minds when Greg Zeschuk said, "That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next."?

Because it seem contradictory to me to say it's something we're looking at next to "there's currently no effort directed towards a Mac client."

MoofTheSToof
03.23.2012 , 05:06 PM | #606
As much as I love SWTOR, with the lack of a decently performing (or even supported!) mac client, and no plan for one in the foreseeable future, I'm just going to unsub when Mists of Panderia comes out and go back to WoW.

I live my life connected to a network for work, play and leisure and OS X/iOS make that lifestyle so much more enjoyable than any other solution available. Having to stop everything, cut myself off from essential services and boot into uncomfortable, inhospitable Windows just to play a game is more than I can take. It's like keeping my hobby in a rackety old shed that I have to walk a mile through brambles to reach instead of keeping my hobby in my clean, comfortable, tastefully appointed modern home.

I had a ton of fun in WoW for 7 years, and I'd hoped to start a new multi-year experience with SWTOR, but Blizzard is much better at keeping me happy, it seems.

Mods, Macs, and much more end-game - WoW is winning me back.

Toxen
03.23.2012 , 06:58 PM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by MoofTheSToof View Post
As much as I love SWTOR, with the lack of a decently performing (or even supported!) mac client, and no plan for one in the foreseeable future, I'm just going to unsub when Mists of Panderia comes out and go back to WoW.

I live my life connected to a network for work, play and leisure and OS X/iOS make that lifestyle so much more enjoyable than any other solution available. Having to stop everything, cut myself off from essential services and boot into uncomfortable, inhospitable Windows just to play a game is more than I can take. It's like keeping my hobby in a rackety old shed that I have to walk a mile through brambles to reach instead of keeping my hobby in my clean, comfortable, tastefully appointed modern home.

I had a ton of fun in WoW for 7 years, and I'd hoped to start a new multi-year experience with SWTOR, but Blizzard is much better at keeping me happy, it seems.

Mods, Macs, and much more end-game - WoW is winning me back.
These are my feelings exactly. Although I'm gonna give GW2 a shot first before I move back to wow. Even though it doesn't have a Mac client either, I'm willing to overlook it due to lack of subscription needed.

I'm still gonna push for one, but I'm not gonna get offended if they don't.

Pencilvania
03.24.2012 , 12:57 PM | #608
I find the idea of "BioWare should not waste the money on a Mac Client" to be a silly one.

Let's take a closer look at why people are saying that over and over.

The misconception I believe is that people are making the assumption that BioWare will be throwing money and time away on a client for another platform.

What people don't discuss is the benefits. I do realize that this is the internet and people simply want to say whatever they like whether or not it is informed or even true.

The benefits being ignored are monetary gain, brand loyalty, and player base. More users mean more money and players. I think it is worth a moment of pause when thinking about another client/s before dismissing it outright.

More players and revenue will not hurt the Windows client player base.

It will only help everyone involved. Regardless about how one feels about this platform or the other, it's more money, more people.

How is this logic not completely sound? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SWTOR FOR MAC! SWTOR FOR EVERYONE!

Karquile
03.24.2012 , 01:06 PM | #609
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
How is this logic not completely sound? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Yeah, the problem is that nobody reads any of this, they just look at the initial question, misinterpret it in one of several lazy ways, then dump the same set of genius cliche's at the end and move on.

Sometimes I get frustrated with BW for apparently not listening, but in this case I hope they ignore this garbage and do the sensible thing in a year or so. First the game has to thrive. Then I'd love a Mac port. It's also possible that the WINE/Cider community will solve this independently, in which case we're good to go.
Welcome to the Public Test Server! / PTS Forum Guidelines
Friendly testing guilds to join: Primus (Republic) and Alpha (Empire).
Chat with other testers in-game: /cjoin Test
PTS Ventrilo server! gametest.typefrag.com port 23300

Shoian
03.26.2012 , 11:54 PM | #610
It's the "Fake Rich" or, "Wannabe Niche" that buy only to show off the glowing fruit like its a status symbol that are griping. BW already made note about a mac client, and its not in the near future. Continually bumping the 2 threads about it between the 18 of you wont change the timeline, let alone the truth of the matter. Not everyone will buy into the hype.
This is a bunch of Bull. The whole Windows vs Mac is a bad argument. Without Mac Microsoft would be total garbage, and visa versa. They steal ideas and concepts from each other and make them better so we get better products.
For every "fake rich", "Wannabe Niche" "status symbol" mac user there is an windows user. Think Dell XPS/ Alienware or Samsung Ultrabooks.
We are living in a Post PC world so it would be foolish of BW if they didn't consider opening SWTOR up to OSX/IOS. (IOS if the rumors are true that OSX is getting dumped if favor of a single OS.)