Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Holocalls - why always standing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Holocalls - why always standing?

NRieh
03.23.2012 , 12:53 AM | #11
Quote:
Because seeing them sitting in the holograms would look stupid.
And why, actually one may need to see something but the face for a talk? When you skype with your friend using a webcam - do you usually stand up and make sure he sees all of you?

Quote:
Because even the NPC's are allowed to sit in only three chairs in the whole galaxy
And all those were already taken by holo-siting jedis, I suppose.. Well, that explains much.

Darth_Vicente
03.23.2012 , 04:45 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by NRieh View Post
And why, actually one may need to see something but the face for a talk? When you skype with your friend using a webcam - do you usually stand up and make sure he sees all of you?
Some times. What of it?
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

DataBeaver
03.23.2012 , 05:12 AM | #13
I've always wondered what the holocall looks like at the remote end. At my end I usually see a smaller than life-size hologram of the person I'm talking with, especially with the hand-held holocommunicators. However, in a few scenes the hologram turns around to look at someone else at my end. How does that work exactly? What does the person at the other end see for that sort of gesture to make sense?

NRieh
03.23.2012 , 05:52 AM | #14
Quote:
Some times. What of it?
Sometimes is sometimes, usually MOBILE (and holocom is a mobile device, which is used widely, though there are also some stationary holocoms seen) ways of communications do not require any extra actions. And also routine communications hardly involve seeing all of the person you talk to from top to feet.

Quote:
However, in a few scenes the hologram turns around to look at someone else at my end. How does that work exactly? What does the person at the other end see for that sort of gesture to make sense?
Yes, as I mentioned there was a scene where holoimage of Risha was trying to avade man's hand. It also a part of question, actually. But I'm afraid this part is more of a movie-type effect.

I belive that several people may use same holocom, but "on the other side" they will appear either something like "splitscreen" or one per time (like, the one who's talking is visible). When we see several persons on our side - we usually also see several projectors (like scenes on Voss) And images appear only where they appear - not around speaker, especially if speaker uses portable small holocom.