Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does SWTOR feel like "Your Story"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers

Urael
03.22.2012 , 12:55 PM | #1
I like playing SWTOR. I do. Sure I have my complaints (we all do), but I still like playing. The subject of this post is:

Please discuss how you feel about the story and your personal reactions to the story. Intersted to know how you feel from your "main character's" perspective and from your "alt characters'" perspectives.

For me. I started with an Imperial Agent. Right from the git go it just didn't feel like "my story" and that has been the prevailing feeling thru all the alts I have played since.

There have been many times I have just wanted to scream because "I" wouldn't have reacted "that way" or "made that decision". This esepcially comes into play with LS and DS choices and "companion faction" choices.

Anyway how do you feel? Is SWTOR "Your Story"?

Discuss!

BenjaminminU
03.22.2012 , 01:13 PM | #2
My jedi sentinel story does feel like my story, i enjoy every moment of it. Especially since starting corellia where i meet old friends from earlier in the story Just that moment of "holy crap i saved you at level 3" or "i remember redeeming you much earlier on in the story" Things like this just give huge replay value.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

Bluerodian
03.22.2012 , 01:14 PM | #3
I'm enjoying it thus far, but it doesn't feel like my story any more than any other singe-player RPG does with the exception of Skyrim. That does feel like my story due to the level of freedom the game offers.
Sarcasm is just one of my services.

Long time SWG player from Cradle to Grave. First Kettemoor, then Starsider.

AAmedeo
03.22.2012 , 01:15 PM | #4
First off, you overestimate the control any of us have over events that happen in our real lives. It did not strike me as odd that the twists and turns in the story were happening without my being able to control them.

Most of the time, the responses I gave to options were close to what I would have done "in that position". Working for corporations my hold life trains you to react with 'the right" answer and not some emotional kneejerk, so it felt "real" to me.

Kubernetic
03.22.2012 , 01:16 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
I like playing SWTOR. I do. Sure I have my complaints (we all do), but I still like playing. The subject of this post is:

Please discuss how you feel about the story and your personal reactions to the story. Intersted to know how you feel from your "main character's" perspective and from your "alt characters'" perspectives.

For me. I started with an Imperial Agent. Right from the git go it just didn't feel like "my story" and that has been the prevailing feeling thru all the alts I have played since.

There have been many times I have just wanted to scream because "I" wouldn't have reacted "that way" or "made that decision". This esepcially comes into play with LS and DS choices and "companion faction" choices.

Anyway how do you feel? Is SWTOR "Your Story"?

Discuss!
They all have felt like my story. I guess I don't understand why all of the sudden it's so important to have some kind of completely unique story line. This has never been what video games are.

Almost every video game ever made has been some kind of story that every player goes through. Sure there might be some opportunities here and there to make a choice or something, but for the most part, branching (and numerously branched) stories are very few and far between.

When I played GTA4, I didn't care that everyone else was playing Niko Bellic. When I played Deus Ex, I didn't care that everyone else was playing Adam Jenson.

Yes, every so often in SWTOR I run into a player that has the same outfit or parts of it that I have on. But this is no different than normal life. I've run into people before who were wearing the same shirt I was, or the same pants.

I can immerse myself in the story without worrying about what other players are doing.

And while I might agree that it would be great to have a completely unique story line with so many branches and options that we really could create a custom story all our own... the logistics and planning and writing of such a thing would be enormous, and probably prohibitive to even being produced at all.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Jenovan
03.22.2012 , 01:25 PM | #6
It does feel like my story, in the same way that Dragon Age: Origins* felt like my story. I wouldn't say that I feel like I'm living it, but I do feel like I'm writing it, if that distinction makes sense. And while there are going to be times where none of the choices I'm offered seem right to me, or when I feel shoehorned into doing something, those are outshined (for me) by the times I get to do something completely awesome and in-character.

This feeling is what quickly hooked me in the big beta weekend, and is why I think I'll be here for a while.

*I didn't get this experience from Dragon Age II. I wonder if it's because Hawke is, to a large extent, already defined for you before you start to play. And then, once your "personality" is established, further control is taken away from you. That's an interesting system, but it definitely removed some of the sense that I was creating a character.
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Urael
03.22.2012 , 01:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AAmedeo View Post
First off, you overestimate the control any of us have over events that happen in our real lives. It did not strike me as odd that the twists and turns in the story were happening without my being able to control them.

Most of the time, the responses I gave to options were close to what I would have done "in that position". Working for corporations my hold life trains you to react with 'the right" answer and not some emotional kneejerk, so it felt "real" to me.
Interesting view. In my opinion, I feel we all have a free will to do as we choose. I agree with you that what we "feel" may not always be the correct option. However, I don't condone a "going along to get along" method as one may have to do in a corporate situation if it contradicts the truth. The truth is the truth even if noone believes it. A lie is a lie even if everyone belives it.

There are times in many of the storylines where you may have someone you think is close to you betray you. And you don't always have the option to deal with the betrayal as you may react to it as it happens. There are times in the story where you choose an LS option that doesn't seem to be very "good" and an DS option that doesn't seem to be very "bad". There are many times where LS and DS options are basically a bit of grey moral relativism.

In the end for me, the story doesn't feel like mine and to be honest both sides of the conflict in this war are pretty reprehensable. The empire is machiavellian on steroids and the Republic is just out and out right corrupt. I don't feel for either side.

Urael
03.22.2012 , 01:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
... I guess I don't understand why all of the sudden it's so important to have some kind of completely unique story line. This has never been what video games are.
For me, in other MMOs where there is no story, I basically constructed my story as events unfolded and it was personal to me. I filled in the details or if I was RPing I was getting reactions in the moment from other participants and I used that to fill in my story. There were no "canned" responses.

For me, it's not "all of a sudden". For me it just doesn't feel like well me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
... I wouldn't say that I feel like I'm living it, but I do feel like I'm writing it, if that distinction makes sense.
For me, it doesn't feel like I am writing it. Thats what bugs me. I am given choices many of which I don't like, agree with, or wouldn't write for myself.

GalacticKegger
03.22.2012 , 01:35 PM | #9
No more or less than a book does. Just because the same story has been experienced by a million other readers doesn't lessen its visceral impact on me as a reader. The stories in TOR are engaging and immersive, which is plenty close enough to feeling like they are mine. Though I'm smart enough to understand that they actually aren't.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Captain_Zone
03.22.2012 , 01:39 PM | #10
The one that felt most like my story so far was the Sith Warrior. Just the fact that you can punch Sith tradition in the face and backtalk, heckle, and just plain troll Baras is a blast! Not to mention you can actively affect the story by deciding what alignment Jaesa will be, as well as numerous other decisions. I did it all. Killed corrupt Sith. Even befriended a Jedi Master on Belsavis. Light V by the end of the story, and loved every second of it. It's actually EASIER to play a completely LS Sith Warrior than a completely LS Jedi Knight, and much more rewarding.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.