Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 - New Rakata Itemization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
1.2 - New Rakata Itemization
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

StrykerOne
03.21.2012 , 10:06 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by antonmb View Post
Secondly, the Battlemaster Mods/Enhancements have the same stat budgets as Rakatas, but with +expertise. So, it feels like you can just grind WZ commendations, pull out the BM mods, and slot them in and get Rakata-level/equal stats +expertise. Is this intended? Or do the devs intend to reduce the secondary stat budgets on the BM gear because of the added expertise on the mods/enhancements?
Generally in MMOs the top end PvP gear is always best in slot, at least as far as amount of total bonuses / damage / armor goes. Other gear might fit your build better, but the PvP stuff traditionally has the highest bonuses. Those bonuses are generally the ones that matter most in PvP so PvE gear might be better for some PvE tasks, but in TOR the stat system is so simple that the best bonuses for PvE and PvP are likely the same... hence the PvP sets are just raid gear with expertise tacked on.

cashogy
03.21.2012 , 10:13 PM | #82
there is no reason to not change the stats for all mods, barrels, armorings, enhancements, etc and make them all retroactive. that is probably actually a lot easier than having the game figure out what pieces have what mods and the updating them from there.
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Raurok
03.21.2012 , 10:16 PM | #83
Georg,

Hopefully you will see this and respond, but will this update require the exact mods that were in the armor, or just the same type? Reason I am asking is because I have multiple copies of the same mod and enhancement, and I have no way of telling which exact mod/enhancement came from which exact piece of armor.

StrykerOne
03.21.2012 , 10:30 PM | #84
I seriously doubt the game can tell where a mod came from. Most likely when they update to 1.2 they will run a database script that will check every Rakata shell in the database and for each one it will check what mod is in each slot and update any that match what's supposed to be there while just keeping any changed mods as is. Tracking what specific item each mod came from would require a unique ID number on each mod in the game and that's a fair amount of extra data to store... I doubt they do so since larger databases = more expensive servers.

Raurok
03.21.2012 , 10:31 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Rischardo View Post
Given what the devs have told the community in the past regarding how we should handle the current itemization, it would be absolutely unfair if they did not give us a way to get the new Rakata mods/enhancements.

Taken from the March 2nd Q&A:

Georg Zoeller (Principal Lead Combat Designer): "Accuracy counters your target's ability to defend (dodge, deflect, etc.) against your attacks. You are correct about the accuracy budget on the current end game gear being too generous for most scenarios - unless you are a dedicated tank killer in PvP, you probably do not need as much as you get from Rakata gear at the moment and you should consider swapping out some mods to support your preferred playstyle.

For the upcoming tier of new gear, we have an improved distribution of stats for both PvP and PvE gear."

I'm sure there is no Rakata owner who is against updating these Rakata pieces. However, it is not fair to basically tell us that the original Rakata itemization is not ideal, suggest we use different enhancement/mods, then punish us for following your suggestion by failing to give us a way to "trade up" to the new 1.2 Rakata.

The reason the Mods/Enhancement system is great is because it allows flexibility in customizing our gear to our play style or our character's needs. Please don't punish the players who used the system as intended by excluding us from the updated Rakata mods/enhancements.
I'm glad you brought up this quote. Going to be disappointed if there's not an easier way to get updated Battlemaster and Rakata gear.

Kautious
03.21.2012 , 11:00 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hey, some answers.

1. Yes, we have updated the stat distribution on Rakata gear with 1.2.

2. If you have not modified your gear, it will seamlessly update the mods inside when you log into the game the first time after the patch has been applied.

3. If you have modified your gear, it will retain any changes you have made. Any mods you didn't change out will update.

4. Restoring the original mods into the item, before 1.2, will cause them to upgrade at the time of the patch.

The problem, of course, is that if you hand modified your gear, we ultimately have no way of knowing what your intention was. Maybe you wanted to use the mod you removed somewhere else, maybe you just wanted to replace it. We cannot make any assumption as to the intention of individual users when modding the item, preventing us from upgrading already modified items post fact.

TL;DR: Any 'original' mod in an updated item will upgrade with the patch. Any 'foreign' mod added to an item will be left untouched.

Hope that answers your questions.
At first glance, this looks ok..
But after some thought put into it, it starts to look something other than ok, in fact, it's kinda short-sighted. Like many ppl on this thread have suggested, change the stats on the mods/enhancements, from what I can tell by your response, you're ADDING new mods/enhancements into game instead of changing the stats on current mods, why would you do that? Coding failure? Or think tank failure?

Please, just change the stats on mods...

Oh and, is the columi set gonna be changed as well? Because as a tank, I seriously don't need so much accuracy... and yes, I had to swap out many of the accuracy-heavy mods/enhancements...

cashogy
03.21.2012 , 11:05 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by StrykerOne View Post
I seriously doubt the game can tell where a mod came from. Most likely when they update to 1.2 they will run a database script that will check every Rakata shell in the database and for each one it will check what mod is in each slot and update any that match what's supposed to be there while just keeping any changed mods as is. Tracking what specific item each mod came from would require a unique ID number on each mod in the game and that's a fair amount of extra data to store... I doubt they do so since larger databases = more expensive servers.
that is far more complicated than updating the individual mod/armoring/enhancment/etc throughout the entire game.

not only would that be simpler, it would make sure armor that had its mods changed pre 1.2 would actually be updated to the new stat itemizations
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

harkain
03.22.2012 , 12:19 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by StrykerOne View Post
Generally in MMOs the top end PvP gear is always best in slot, at least as far as amount of total bonuses / damage / armor goes. Other gear might fit your build better, but the PvP stuff traditionally has the highest bonuses. Those bonuses are generally the ones that matter most in PvP so PvE gear might be better for some PvE tasks, but in TOR the stat system is so simple that the best bonuses for PvE and PvP are likely the same... hence the PvP sets are just raid gear with expertise tacked on.
traditionaly ? what are you smoking ? pvp gear is a new concept to start with and from the day it came it always was except for some pieces never considered BiS for anything other than pvp (even without the pvp stat addition)

BM gear having equal stats+expertise is a change that will ruin the game for many, i know i wont pay a cent more if solo quing half asleep nublets who think just adding more time to the venture should earn them the best gear (aka bm gear now that its so uber easy to reach bm) yet i still have to raid to get worse gear ? seriously.

Worst change in this game, if rakata does not have a higher stat budget or that expertise is withdrawn from the stat budget the only sane way of gearing will be pvp, which is easier and can be done solo....way to listen to all the pvpers who are leaving for gw2 anyway and pissing the rest of us off.
Die you must
Intentional yodaing since 1980.

GeorgZoeller
03.22.2012 , 12:21 AM | #89 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Raurok View Post
Georg,

Hopefully you will see this and respond, but will this update require the exact mods that were in the armor, or just the same type? Reason I am asking is because I have multiple copies of the same mod and enhancement, and I have no way of telling which exact mod/enhancement came from which exact piece of armor.
Same type.

Sixthy
03.22.2012 , 12:44 AM | #90
Just adding another name to the list. I've swapped every mod/enhancement on every single piece of Rakata and BM gear that I have - now I feel like I'm being forced into the position of trying to save up 10 more BM tokens and get all 5 Rakata drops again before this patch drops. Doesn't seem right, should be able to retroactively swap out the original Rakata / BM gear with the new stuff through a vendor or something.