Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR vs SWG

Henu
03.20.2012 , 09:41 PM | #491
People saying SWG failed could not be more wrong, 8 years of active subs is an amazing effort.
I played only for 4 -5 years and i would be still there today if they didnt close. Dont get me wrong i really enjoy ToR but SWG had so much more in it than people think. I was an active Beast master in a guild that enjoyed my interests of Bm and crafting.
IF i was to right up a list of things to do in SWG and compare that to Tor you would be shocked.

I will admit SWG lacked in a few areas and really needed a graphics update but numbers were strong up untill they shut down the servers.

RIP SWG and if SOE ever did make SWG 2 id be there in a flash.
Kript - SNX - Harby, Yes its a PVE server but honestly there isn't a lot of open world PVP on the other servers anyway.

Yager
03.20.2012 , 09:51 PM | #492
Quote: Originally Posted by Saxx View Post
I wouldn't say never coming out and would never say it didn't work. SWG was a cobbled together game that miraculously worked. Before the CURB and certainly before the NGE there were TONS of players on the Radiant server.

Sandbox games do work and I think Minecraft and Second Life are prime examples. The problem is maintaining a sandbox style MMO is extremely labor intensive. SWG had the most robust crafting system and that in and of itself probably took some time to maintain.

Personally I think SWG fell flat because developers felt the game wasn't going where they wanted it. As a result they pushed the CURB which mucked things up, but it was still playable to some degree. It was the NGE that delivered the final killing blow removing the complexity of it to give way to casual gameplay.

If they were to release a SWG 2 with revamped mechanics, but keeping the 24 distinct class advancement + crafting system from the first one I would go to it in a heartbeat. The problem is as you stated Kheal most casual gamers are used to WoW. They want that solo campaign and moderate grouping experience with little raiding.

I've played WoW and in the short 5 months I played it I became disgusted with it. The only thing the game had going for it was exploration and once that was done it became stale. Made 1 main and 6 to 7 different alts leveling 3 characters to 80, and the rest to 20. It required little to no challenge to level up those characters which is depressing.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote. On the solo'ing aspect of SWG, It was possible to solo in SWG, and I did it about 33% of the time. I divided my game play into 3 groups: solo questing, group (PvP or PvE), and non-combat activities (crafting, resource gathering, etc).

In SWTOR my time is mostly spent fighting. Sometimes I take time to do companion crafting/hunting/etc while I chat with guild mates or anyone in general chat, but that just isn't as fun as those aspects of SWG.

Unless I either just get bored or life limits how much free time I have I expect I'll probably play SWTOR till I have one of each class leveled to max and most content completed at least once, then I'll un-sub. And even with casual game play give how quickly I'll have one of each class leveled I would be surprised if this time next year I have an active subscription.
In SW:ToR one learns to fly a space ship before one can drive a speeder.

Yager
03.20.2012 , 10:05 PM | #493
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Roll a new toon, experience a new story. Easy endgame boredom cure.
Do that 6 times in SWTOR and you are done (unless you like repeating daily quests or costant PvP). At laeast SWG had more "classes" to do that with, and even for power levelers it took a while to run through all the possible variations.

Yager
03.20.2012 , 10:13 PM | #494
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
You grossly miss the point. There was no compelling story, thus no game.

Star Wars is about going on a grand adventure and going through life and death situations that all have a star wars feel to them, on some grand advanture, where what you do MATTERS in the Star Wars universe.

People got bored because nothing they did MATTERED in SWG. There was no lasting impact. All you can really point to is Restuss, which was a desperate attempt to change the landscape, but they didn't follow up on that.

What story are you trying to tell in SWG? the story of how long it took to decorate your house with varactyl feathers? The story of how you went to a spaceport and spammed 'LFG!" for 3 hours before logging off? The story of how long it took you to check all your harvesters for material?

Like it or not, STORY is a crucial piece to the Star Wars saga, and Bioware got this right. SWG horribly dropped the ball.
In SWG you made your own story (for the most part), and that was the best part.

As for no impact: Do you not remember planetary control or busting the bases of the other faction that they put up (to get that planetary control)? Sure they could have made that control show itself in better ways, and many of us advocated for such improvements but instead they did things like the NGE and after that constantly tried making the NGE work in a system not designed for it.

ODTONE
03.20.2012 , 10:19 PM | #495
I loved swg and like swtor also,
i was going to have an swtor account and keep my swg one also,
not many mmos even came close to the variety of galaxies.

Yager
03.20.2012 , 10:52 PM | #496
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Something I am noticing is that people are comparing SWG "well after launch" (talking years here) to SWTOR "at launch" (it's only been online for tree months). It's apples and oranges. If anyone can actually remember, think about what SWG was like at launch and compare that SWG to SWTOR. Then and ONLY then will you convince me that SWG was better.

Fact of the matter is that this is the first MMO I have ever bought at launch, so I cannot do this.
I'll give you a more fair compairison.

I was in SWG Beta, and SWTOR Beta. I was in both on launch day, and on from there.

This game is 3 months old and at that age in each game:

SWG, I had one character and played it 6 to 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. (and that was after a full 8 to 10 hour work day)
SWTOR, I have multiple characters and play 3 to 4 hours a day, but not every day.

SWG, I had dozens of friends I logged in and played with every day, no matter what time of day I played.
SWTOR, I am lucky to have 3 to 4 guild mates on at any given time, and each planet I am on is lucky to have 20 players on it. And this is at "peak" play times, get on after peak ours and the game worlds are ghost towns. I have to go to the fleet to see more than 4 other players in the same place I'm at.

SWG, I have stories I repeat to this day of the early gorup adventures (multiple groups of 7 each hunting Ewoks on Endor to make them an endagerd species) and I still have contact to this day with friends I made in those early days.
SWTOR, I may as well be playing this on a console with my 13 year old son occasionally grabbing controller 2 and tag teaming some content with me.

SWG, I was telling myself "I will play this game till the day they shut the servers down."
SWTOR, I am telling myself "I'll play this game till I get one complete charater of each class, then I will un-sub and re-visit if/when new content is worth checking out.....or till a better SW game comes along".

Is SWTOR bad? No, it is what it was designed to be. And I hope that going forawrd they expand it enough to keep me interested in playing. I just happen to like what SWG was (at 3 months old) more than what SWTOR is today. I play it because I like Star Wars games, and even if SWG was still up and running I may play SWTOR just because it is set in the Old Republic era and offers some things that are different, but I would still be playing SWG (especially if it was pre-NGE SWG).

AMKSED
03.20.2012 , 11:00 PM | #497
Quote: Originally Posted by Henu View Post
People saying SWG failed could not be more wrong, 8 years of active subs is an amazing effort.
I played only for 4 -5 years and i would be still there today if they didnt close. Dont get me wrong i really enjoy ToR but SWG had so much more in it than people think. I was an active Beast master in a guild that enjoyed my interests of Bm and crafting.
IF i was to right up a list of things to do in SWG and compare that to Tor you would be shocked.

I will admit SWG lacked in a few areas and really needed a graphics update but numbers were strong up untill they shut down the servers.

RIP SWG and if SOE ever did make SWG 2 id be there in a flash.
The game was licensed to run. That's the only reason why it stayed live it's last few years.

TalkingDinosaur
03.20.2012 , 11:01 PM | #498
Quote: Originally Posted by Moaky View Post
I dont pay a sub to MMOs so I can work a job as a virtual Uncle Owen. +1 for TOR.
If I could add more to my signature I would plaque this in Gold.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

Henu
03.20.2012 , 11:03 PM | #499
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
The game was licensed to run. That's the only reason why it stayed live it's last few years.
Its stayed alive because people played it.
Kript - SNX - Harby, Yes its a PVE server but honestly there isn't a lot of open world PVP on the other servers anyway.

TalkingDinosaur
03.20.2012 , 11:03 PM | #500
Quote: Originally Posted by Yager View Post
Do that 6 times in SWTOR and you are done (unless you like repeating daily quests or costant PvP). At laeast SWG had more "classes" to do that with, and even for power levelers it took a while to run through all the possible variations.
Last I checked all 9 professions experienced the same "Helping grandma across the street" story.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11