Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranged kiting classes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Ranged kiting classes.

ludakot
12.14.2011 , 09:26 PM | #1
Are there are kiting classes in this game? I know people don't like to compare to wow but I always loved mages and hunters in PVP, lots of instant casts and kiting potential. I haven't been able to find anything similar so far. Inq Sorcerer and IA Sniper interest me but both seem to have to stand still a majority of the time, maybe that's just the style of the game? BH mercenary's would interest me too if it wasn't for that terrible bend over tracer animation!

Murdertrane
12.14.2011 , 09:39 PM | #2
8 year WoW hunter vet here (beta included).

I can say that so far the Smuggler (gunslinger) plays closest to my WoW hunter.

No, you can't compare them 1 for 1, but the whole concept of shooting from ranged, kiting, jumpshooting (to an extent) and getting the f outta melee is not lost on a Smuggler. If you played high end PvP as a hunter, you'll do great as a Smuggler imho. One thing to remember, though, Smugglers have a MUCH wider range of skills to help keep people out of our face--so much more than Hunters. Some specs will allow greater escapability, while other specs (dirty fighting, perhaps, didn't play it) actually seems to encourage being in melee range--their range is 10m.

I played gunslinger and found that my years of kiting/jumping/evading helped out a lot as a Smuggler.

There's my 2cents.

Aaoogaa
12.14.2011 , 09:43 PM | #3
The best class I found for kiting was actually shield spec Vanguard...I think assault would be similar for this. The combination of stuns/roots/snares kept anyone at range...the issue was the lower DPS for a tank build. I have been able to kite melee classes from 100-0 when I was at 10% life using the tools of the AC.

Did not try gunslinger but I wanted to save it for live and am happy to hear they kite well.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

ludakot
12.15.2011 , 09:51 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Murdertrane View Post
8 year WoW hunter vet here (beta included).

I can say that so far the Smuggler (gunslinger) plays closest to my WoW hunter.

No, you can't compare them 1 for 1, but the whole concept of shooting from ranged, kiting, jumpshooting (to an extent) and getting the f outta melee is not lost on a Smuggler. If you played high end PvP as a hunter, you'll do great as a Smuggler imho. One thing to remember, though, Smugglers have a MUCH wider range of skills to help keep people out of our face--so much more than Hunters. Some specs will allow greater escapability, while other specs (dirty fighting, perhaps, didn't play it) actually seems to encourage being in melee range--their range is 10m.

I played gunslinger and found that my years of kiting/jumping/evading helped out a lot as a Smuggler.

There's my 2cents.
Sounds good! Gunslinger is the mirror of sniper right? If so then I'm happy.

JornFalm
12.16.2011 , 01:40 AM | #5
Hey guys, I just ran out of Pringles.
Ju'cee Force-kin - Sith Inquisitor
Darth Stormbrazer - Sith Juggernaut - Defense
Cipher Agent Shaw Force-kin - Imperial Operative - Lethality
J'mann - Bolunty Hunter Powertech - Advanced Prototype

ludakot
12.16.2011 , 03:36 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JornFalm View Post
Hey guys, I just ran out of Pringles.
Terrible news.

Chomag
12.16.2011 , 05:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaoogaa View Post
The best class I found for kiting was actually shield spec Vanguard...I think assault would be similar for this. The combination of stuns/roots/snares kept anyone at range...the issue was the lower DPS for a tank build. I have been able to kite melee classes from 100-0 when I was at 10% life using the tools of the AC.

Did not try gunslinger but I wanted to save it for live and am happy to hear they kite well.
Yep, I thought about playing commando but I didn't wanna be deadmeat when glowsticks got in my face, or daggers from stealth, as commandos don't wear heavy armor nor have any good damage in melee to speak of. Commandos play like living turrets, resembling elem shamans from wow: insane if left alone, deadmeat when getting attention.

So tanky > pure dps class for solo pvp.
Hard mode: Play Republic
Nightmare mode: Play Republic on a pvp server
Are you man enough for the challenge ? Aunt Satele wants YOU.
Republic. No kids allowed.

Kalluss
12.16.2011 , 05:48 AM | #8
Either of the BH ACs has great kiting potential. I played a Mercenary up to 18 in the beta and I am leveling a Powertech tank now. You can run and gun with every spell without a cast time or channel and have ample snares and knock backs through both skills and talents once you start hitting the mid to high teens.

I had planned to play a Juggernaut main since classes were really confirmed but chose to roll a BH after beta. I play primarily melee/close range classes in MMOs and generally tank exclusively on my main, besides having a Warlock main (that I really loved) for a stretch in Vanilla WoW I just don't dig ranged and casters. I like leveling them but not at endgame really so they sit on the shelf after a short bit. The BH really drew me in though and I think it is a beautifully designed class so far.

The class is a lot fun, it has all the tanking mechanics you could want and the utility of range for grabbing stray mobs or mid-range tanking. Throw in that has the potential to be as good a kiting class as I have ever seen in an MMO and I was sold on it. Getting arguably the best companion set is just a bonus.