Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

some guidance if possible...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
some guidance if possible...

evilharb
12.13.2011 , 06:19 PM | #1
Heya folks

well, I'm having a blast with the Consular and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to go with the Shadow AC. One thing I'm having a hard time decing on is a viable build, and I hope some of the more experienced types (those that tried the Consular/Shadow anyway) might be able to advise.

What I would like to do is find a build that I can level up with, not just tank, but the ability to level solo some what and maybe have a bit of fun with pvp aswell (not tried that but am looking forward to it). Is there any kind person that please point me in the right direction? I have checked out the darth hater db site but I'm really not sure which build to go for.

Here's hoping, and thanks in advance for any help I receive
JESUS SAVES!!!...and takes half damage...

Squadron 840 forever!

Alikain
12.13.2011 , 06:45 PM | #2
if you want the build for shadow then i suggest to go to the shadow forum and have a look at the shadow's hand book.
Fear is a disease; hope is its only cure.
Compromise is a virtue to be cultivated, not a weakness to be despised.
Belief is not a matter of choice, but of conviction.
Trust in your friends, and they’ll have reason to trust in you.

Andrage
12.13.2011 , 06:55 PM | #3
Pick the right companion, and there is no reason you couldn't level as a tank.

Also with taunt and guard, a tank even has a place in PvP.

TiVOs
12.13.2011 , 10:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Alikain View Post
if you want the build for shadow then i suggest to go to the shadow forum and have a look at the shadow's hand book.
^ This. I've not played Shadow, but I can tell you AstralFire has a great guide.
<><
"Don't feed the trolls!" ~Proverbs 9:7-9
The Alcyon Legacy

MithrilSoul
12.15.2011 , 11:41 AM | #5
Another vote here, telling you to read the Shadow's Handbook sticky post in the Shadow subforum. Incredible amount of information, comparisons of multiple builds based on each of the three trees, both for PvE and PvP.

Great, great resource.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect

Neodeity
12.15.2011 , 06:57 PM | #6
FYI - Guide suggests you do NOT level as a tank. I'm pretty sure most people would agree that there is no viable reason you should "level" as a tank. With as many tank classes there are, go for a dps build until at least level 20.

evilharb
12.15.2011 , 07:12 PM | #7
Ok - excellent advice so far - thanks. I'm now level 24 and have been using the guides pvp build and it really seems pretty good (5/33/3) and I'm having fun with it. You mentioned nor trying a tanking build till 20 - do you think I should change to something else other than the listed pvp build or just stick with that? (note* I do plan on trying some pvp this weekend just to check it all out).
JESUS SAVES!!!...and takes half damage...

Squadron 840 forever!

Neodeity
12.15.2011 , 08:20 PM | #8
If you are going to PvP before 20, which most do, stick with the PvP build. I was speaking on a mere "leveling" point of view, by PvE standards. It isn't a mystery that any "tank" class is the 2nd worse to level, next to a healer class in most MMO's these days. Tanks and Healers are built for group dynamics, not solo leveling. The faster you can get a quest done, the faster you will level, and generally speaking, the higher your dps is, the faster you can get a quest done. (without diminishing your survivability of course).

Dreggzender
12.16.2011 , 05:41 AM | #9
Just about to hit 20 tank spec, I've had no trouble leveling quickly. Is it slower than a dps spec? Probably a little. But I really don't think I'd want to tear through the game any faster than I already am.

With the companion system this is not like normal mmos where soloing tanks and healers take forEVER to level. With a companion you're never really solo, and tank/healer dps isn't nearly as anemic as it is in most other mmos. I've heard nothing but great things about sage/sorcerer healing leveling and my experience tanking up to 20 has been a lot of fun and well-paced.
(███████████████████}|█[Ξ()SNARK[]Ξ█|{████████████████████)