Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make playing melee less punishing, give incentive to use them!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Make playing melee less punishing, give incentive to use them!

Twuntage
03.14.2012 , 10:07 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Atthasit View Post
Make ranged damage decrease with distance, with full damage dealt only at melee range. Ranged DPS will still have their ranged utility for fights like Fabricator, but from a pure DPS point of view leaders won't have to tell melee DPS to feck off anymore.
Thats just so wrong
Twuntage Rakata hoe
Bloodtworthy PVP EU
16 man Nightmare EV/KP mode farmer
Not failing since 2005

vandana_
03.18.2012 , 06:38 AM | #22
I'm gonna bring this back - I can't count how many people I know left the game cause they rolled melee and the game was not fun for them.

Any thoughts on class changes in 1.2?
V'ox

Deviantsoul
03.18.2012 , 07:11 AM | #23
I'd just like to take a moment and say, Welcome to MMOs 101! Ranged vs melee has been and will always be a problem in MMOs. Melee generally have the hardest time staying on a boss, have more mechanics to dodge, and, when brought, only add to the difficulty of fights as the more people you stack up next to a boss, the more people are at risk for a boss's "dont stand near me" damage.

Now that said, good or great melee are generally some of the best players in the game and (aside from having an over abundance of melee in a potential raider pool) are viewed as an asset by raid leaders and do not have issues getting into raids. I would honestly say the bigger problem is that any MMO veteran knows (or should know) this melee unfriendliness issue and still we find hordes of people rolling melee characters and then complaining. Or the other problem is if you run a raiding guild, why are you allowing so many melee in the first place? Sidelining in favor of a ranged class is purely a lack of forsight on the raid leaders part as one should be restricting the allowable raid slots to slant in favor of ranged out the gate. Though in the case of 8 man operations in this game, I can tell you all the content can be easily defeated by having a balanced mix of ranged and melee dps (2 and 2). Should melee get a free handout for having it tougher? Nope. Personally, I (who plays a sentinel) prefer the added challenge placed upon me. Should BW alter fights to be more favorable to melee? Nope. Part of the reason for the status being this way (other than enforcing class balanced raids) is to allow them more diversity in fight design.

The OP mentioned Fabricator being almost impossible with all melee. This is true. And it is by design. You would not be able to have fights like this if raid comp allowed for all melee. However, melee are also the work horse dps for the fight as they are always on the boss or clearing the stun droids for the tanks.

UnimatrixSteel
03.18.2012 , 06:35 PM | #24
I play a healer and dont mind melee. I actually prefer melee that is stacked due to me being able to use aoe heals . Ranged classes like to spread them selves out all over the place and make it hard on the healer. It's worse when I have to run to get close enough to a tank or to the ranged dps, because that ranged dps likes to position himself so far away, but that's a matter of communicating to him that he needs to be closer.

It's a bit rediculous that some people here are calling for ranged dps classes to be nerfed based on distance. How about the melee classes become better buffed offensively or defensively when in proximity to other melee ops members, rather than calling for a nerf of another class because of perceived desireability.

Boogzila
03.18.2012 , 06:41 PM | #25
Sadly I agree with you, but you have to also look at all the major MMO's out there. Where does melee get the advantage in any game? I am sure it will be addressed just like it was in WOW and just like it was in Rift. Give them time and hopefully someday us melee will get the benefit.

NessusFett
03.18.2012 , 06:46 PM | #26
it could be interesting to make a bubble shield for some bosses that extends to a range of 10-15 meters...

thus making ranged run in closer to be able to hit them...
Random Acts Of Violence

PVE & PVP :|: CASUAL FUN ENVIRONMENT :|: MATURE SW FANS
"You can only run... but you'll only die tired." -
RECRUITING DDeluxe Owner

Frezzyisfuzzy
03.18.2012 , 06:54 PM | #27
Just give some bosses aoes that only hit people that are more than x meters away. All you need are an equal number of reasons to converge on the mob as there are to stay back. It's not difficult to figure out.