Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardmode Flashpoints; No loot variance for premade groups

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Hardmode Flashpoints; No loot variance for premade groups

Madprophetus
03.13.2012 , 12:12 AM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by Maltuvion View Post
Random loot is not random; it is determined by a generator approximating something random defined from a set of parameters.
QFT. The parameters are based on something some suit and/or game theory/social psych nerd decided would be best to "keep people interested".

I've rebelled against the skinner box. I do not run flashpoints, and only raid two nights a week until I can find a new game to move my guild to.

CitizenFry
03.13.2012 , 10:57 AM | #292
I really want to roll a smuggler, because I swear that Smuggler gear is the only thing that ever drops from any HM I run. Tharan Cedrax is better equipped than I am :/

It seems like operations choose a player and then generate an item for that player...I wish HMs would do that.

Daltin
03.14.2012 , 10:02 AM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
This thread demonstrates why statisticians don't take samples of 10, 20 or even 50 and pretend they mean anything. If you flip a coin 20 times, it is perfectly within reason that it will come up heads or tails 15 times. If you flip it 10,000 times, 100,000 times or 1 million times, you are going to be much closer to 50 percent.

I'm sure some of you have had really bad luck on drops. I'm sure others are exaggerating their bad luck, conveniently forgetting when their piece dropped and they lost the roll or when their buddy got an upgrade. Instead that just becomes another "trooper drop when we had no trooper in the group" in their head.

For what it's worth, I have run dozens of HM flashpoints, about half with the same group. The drops are random. Sometimes that works out for us, sometimes it doesn't. One friend can't seem to get the knight chest piece from FE. We'll keep trying.

Random is random.
You're not even trying.

0/10.

IrishChu
03.15.2012 , 01:46 PM | #294
i'll try to dig up a screenshot, but last week we had people /roll 100 for an alien data cube and surprisingly the first four people all rolled 98 in a row. several seconds later different numbers were rolled by others.

FOUR different people /roll for a 98. The chances of that happening are 1 in 100,000,000

i guess this could mean that astronomical chances can happen or there could be a problem with the rng.

DaveMcG
03.17.2012 , 12:01 PM | #295
From the 1.2 patch notes:

Loot drops from endgame activities, such as Operations and Flashpoints, now take group composition into account.

Sweet jesus it only took 3 months to realize whatever was being used currently was flawed!

Auilt
03.17.2012 , 12:26 PM | #296
Quote: Originally Posted by DaveMcG View Post
From the 1.2 patch notes:

Loot drops from endgame activities, such as Operations and Flashpoints, now take group composition into account.

Sweet jesus it only took 3 months to realize whatever was being used currently was flawed!
OR. Just maybe. It takes time to code things. Especially when you are working on other things at the same time. You guys want miracles in a brand new game immediately. Take a breath, relax, and be patient.

NotDonnaReed
03.17.2012 , 12:35 PM | #297
I'm the only geared healer in our guild at the moment, so I've run with lots of different groups. Our progression group is the same as the OP's: guardian tank, sentinel dps, commando dps, sage healer. Our non-progression group is same except we swapped the sentinel dps for a gunslinger, and sometimes we swap the guardian for a shadow tank. I haven't noticed any significant loot imbalances. For Columni tokens, we've seen a great variety of classes in the four flashpoints that we clear on a regular basis (Kaon, Taral, False Emp, and Maelstrom). Just about everyone has gotten the two-set tier bonus within a week or two which seems more than reasonable to me.

I did run Kaon with another guild once, and they said the consular headgear drops for them 75% of the time. I find that hard to believe given the number of times I've run that place and the great variety of tokens I've seen, but I guess it's possible to just be unlucky. I did one run with my progression team, which doesn't include a smuggler, and every single piece of gear that dropped was for a smuggler. It happens, but it doesn't mean the loot table is broken.

(corrected for grammar)

NotDonnaReed
03.17.2012 , 12:44 PM | #298
Quote: Originally Posted by IrishChu View Post
i'll try to dig up a screenshot, but last week we had people /roll 100 for an alien data cube and surprisingly the first four people all rolled 98 in a row. several seconds later different numbers were rolled by others.

FOUR different people /roll for a 98. The chances of that happening are 1 in 100,000,000

i guess this could mean that astronomical chances can happen or there could be a problem with the rng.
Something similar happened in a convo last night at the end of Kaon Under Siege. Three out of the four participants rolled 116 for one of the choices. It was remarkable, but I doubt that it's evidence of a bug.