Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

AMD 12.2 Driver Update ruins graphics?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
AMD 12.2 Driver Update ruins graphics?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nyhm
03.17.2012 , 10:51 AM | #1
Anyone else experience this? I have my graphics settings all set to "HIGH" but with this new update to the drivers, i have to set my Anti-Aliasing to "MEDIUM" or "LOW."

Anyone know why this happens? Is this an AMD issue or do I need to wait for BW support?

I'm going to roll back to the previous version in the meantime.

Thanks,
Nyhm

Axolipher
03.17.2012 , 10:56 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Nyhm,

We have had many reports from users recently about the latest AMD drivers causing issues. Other users have found turning off AA or rolling back their drivers to the previous version is required to fix this issue until a new set of drivers is released by AMD.

Thank You.

Axolipher | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Nyhm
03.17.2012 , 11:02 AM | #3
thanks for the response! System restore to my previous drivers fixed the issue.

netslayer
03.17.2012 , 11:37 AM | #4
forcing AA through the catalyst alleviates the issue also.
I7 3960x (4.6 ghz) Asus Rampage IV ExtremeCorsair Vengeance 16gb quad channel 1333Ocz Vertex 3AMD Gigabyte 7970Corsair AX1200w PSU

Drakinor
03.19.2012 , 09:14 PM | #5
I had to roll back, I was running fine on medium until update when suddenly I was getting apparently 22fps that looked as choppy as 1-5fps. I just rolled back so hopefully thatll help:P
"The commander stands for virtues of wisdom, sincerity, benevolence, courage, and strictness" Sun Tzu

Drakinor
03.19.2012 , 09:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakinor View Post
I had to roll back, I was running fine on medium until update when suddenly I was getting apparently 22fps that looked as choppy as 1-5fps. I just rolled back so hopefully thatll help:P
yeah....that didnt work. Apparently AMD doesnt like it when you try to rollback drivers lol
"The commander stands for virtues of wisdom, sincerity, benevolence, courage, and strictness" Sun Tzu

Cerimon
03.19.2012 , 10:39 PM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Drakinor,

It may be worthwhile doing the following: Uninstall video driver, clean boot and then clean driver install.

ATI recommend removing drivers via their own catalyst:
1) Click on Start
2) Open the Control Panel
3) Select Programs and Features
4) Select ATI Catalyst Install Manager
5) Click on Change

AMD link:http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

Instructions on performing a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Then just perform the installation of the previous driver after the clean boot.

Thank You for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Drakinor
03.19.2012 , 10:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings Drakinor,

It may be worthwhile doing the following: Uninstall video driver, clean boot and then clean driver install.

ATI recommend removing drivers via their own catalyst:
1) Click on Start
2) Open the Control Panel
3) Select Programs and Features
4) Select ATI Catalyst Install Manager
5) Click on Change

AMD link:http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

Instructions on performing a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Then just perform the installation of the previous driver after the clean boot.

Ill give that a try. I did it the old fashioned way going through device manage and rolling it back from there:P

Drakinor
03.19.2012 , 11:17 PM | #9
That worked, mostly. The extreme choppiness is gone but for some reason my cybernetics are still drawing on my characters face looking like something out of mario lol.

(I am starting to age myself a bit here with my windows 3.x/95/98 solutions and references to old games haha)

Cerimon
03.19.2012 , 11:38 PM | #10 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Drakinor,

If your in-game textures are not what you expect please set the Graphics Quality Preset in your Graphics Preferences to High and click apply. Then set each graphics setting to your personal preference and click apply again. If at this point your textures still seem amiss then you could try running the repair utility from the launcher. Please post again if you have a persistent issue.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support