Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

Ohoni
12.16.2011 , 04:06 AM | #1
This is something that's been long requested, and long ignored by Bioware, but there have been murmurs of assent over the past couple months, so since the game is pretty much launched now, it's time to get some info on what's next, namely, when is the Appearance Tab going in?

To clarify for those that haven't been following along, I'm referring to a better way for allowing players to easily customize their appearance, retaining those that they like over those that they do not like, but that are attached to better stats.

The mod system, in theory, could provide a partial solution to this, but in practice it's far from efficient enough, as it involves discarding the existing loot/armor mechanics entirely and seeking out extremely rare "orange" versions of gear, which is far more hassle than is justifiable for a simple appearance modification system that other games offer automatically.

This would not be a system designed to "trick" people, it would not necessarily allow players any more appearance options than they currently have access to, it would just make it more convenient to change outfits while retaining optimal stats. For example, it would not necessarily allow you to have the appearance of light armor while also having the stats of heavy armor. They could do it that way, but wouldn't have to, as the appearance could be type-restricted (ie only heavy armor appearances while wearing heavy armor). It also wouldn't circumvent "gear progression", as the appearances available would be tied to what you've already accumulated, so at level 15 you'd be able to have any of the looks you've acquired from level 1-15, but wouldn't be able to choose the appearance of a level 20 armor until you'd actually earned it.

As for mechanics, there are two dominate models at play, the appearance tab and appearance slots. The tab would be similar to DCUO, a system in which there is a separate UI menu devoted to character appearance, from which you can pick the style of each gear slot from some sort of drop-down list, the contents of the list being unlocked as you equip each piece. In this system, if by level 15 you've picked up and worn Glove A, Glove B, Glove D, and Glove G, then you could open the menu and freely choose which of those you wanted to display at any given time, but could not display gloves C, E, F, or H+, since you had not yet acquired these.

This system would be the most convenient and easiest to use, but would require some significant UI work to make it function.

The slightly simpler system would be "appearance slots", a set of slots on the paper doll, parallel to the existing ones, in which you can physically place gear. The gear placed into these slots, if any, would override the appearance of the gear placed in the existing "stat" gear slots. This means that if you have Glove C in the stat slot, because it gives great stats, and you have Glove A in the appearance slot, then you get the best of both. The UI changes should be lighter for this one, just a slight modification to the paper doll screen that should take no more than a few man-hours of Photoshopping and a little bit of code to link them up.

Either system would work just fine, but they aren't the only options available. Any system they do come up with would need to meet the following condition though:

Players A and B are both level 15, and have identical level 13 armor. Players A and B both receive identical level 15 armor that is mechanically superior to their current armor. Player A either enjoys the appearance of the new armor, or does not care, and throws it on immediately. Player B prefers the appearance of the old armor, but wants to gain the new mechanical stats of the new armor.

Any system that proposes to be a solution to the lack of an appearance tab needs to be one that solves that scenario in such a way that Player B is not significantly put out relative to Player A. It would need to mean that he would be able to have the appearance of the old armor with the stats of the new armor, and not have had to spend a significant amount of time, credits, or other losses to achieve that effect.

Amamort
12.16.2011 , 04:08 AM | #2
Imho, I find the way I look very important, but I actually like the fact that if you want a specific appearance, you need to work for it, rather than a drag and drop approach.

Just my 2 cents

GawdoOo
12.16.2011 , 04:09 AM | #3
Don't need an appearance tab, the way the crafting system works.

Vlaid
12.16.2011 , 04:46 AM | #4
I actually like the way the crafting system will let you make any appearance pretty much, but you might need to work incredibly hard to create that "perfect" look. It's a lot better than the mess that transmogrify is.

coldsolace
12.16.2011 , 04:47 AM | #5
Agree with OP 100%

Ohoni
12.16.2011 , 04:56 AM | #6
I get that some people are fine with the way the system currently works, and that's ok. If they implement a superior appearance system then you can continue to do things exactly as you can now, nobody's talking about removing anything, just adding on top of whatever's there.

This is just for people that aren't satisfied with the current system, those that have had to put away appearances that they liked in favor of ones with better stats that they haven't liked as much, and do not feel that they should be put at a mechanical disadvantage behind players that do not care about their appearance.

GawdoOo
12.16.2011 , 05:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
I get that some people are fine with the way the system currently works, and that's ok. If they implement a superior appearance system then you can continue to do things exactly as you can now, nobody's talking about removing anything, just adding on top of whatever's there.

This is just for people that aren't satisfied with the current system, those that have had to put away appearances that they liked in favor of ones with better stats that they haven't liked as much, and do not feel that they should be put at a mechanical disadvantage behind players that do not care about their appearance.
Implementing an appearance tab, hurts the crafting community. You will be able to get any look you want, and keep stats in line.
Every style of armor is available as Orange, customizable gear.

Yes 4 days before launch you may not get your look, but a few months in once the patterns become readily available the crafters will be kicking out the items people want.

This current system is the best of both worlds, it makes crafting useful, there will be demand for the things they make and it lets people pick how their characters gear looks.

Yes, you'll have to wait a bit for the economy in the game to get into swing. But in the end, I think this will be a great system for all involved.

Ruskyandrei
12.16.2011 , 05:05 AM | #8
A lot of people throw the "I'm not proposing removing anything, you don't have to use it if you don't want to" argument around.

The problem with that reasoning is that this is not a single player game and any change you add will affect all players regardless of whether they are interested in the new feature or not.

Personally I do not want anything like the WoW/DCUO appearance tab functionality. The current crafting implementation achieves the same results but also has a feeling of acomplishment to it.

Sorenia
12.16.2011 , 05:22 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
What are you talking about? Every appearance in the game has a corresponding orange item. Just mod it with raid mods and you can wear it forever. The game doesn't need an appearance tab as it basically has one already.

IvamAkorahil
12.16.2011 , 05:53 AM | #10
there is no need for an appearance tab due to mod items
Rule through the fear of force rather than through force itself.