Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did they make this game so elitist?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why did they make this game so elitist?

TheGreatNeechi
03.16.2012 , 01:32 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Darnu View Post
This game is so new-player (be it new to the game or MMO's in general) unfriendly it's not funny. Anything which makes the UI or community less daunting or working out the best playstyle for your class is non-existent.

No LFG so you can't really do anything let alone progress through runs in the particular order if you're not already geared except stand around spamming. Let the elitists not have to use it and only run with people they choose to, but for the rest of us, let us play with other players when we want to. Why force the players into PVP, or channel them in that direction at the expense of PVE?

No macros to make life easier so to be the best you need to be prepared to be constantly manually doing everything meaning going out and spending money on ridiculously expensive peripherals is required (however, given there is an official range of products to do this I don't see this being improved anytime soon) leaving others who don't play as often or play alts or have smaller hands essentially making the CTRL key useless as a modifier key easily accessible during combat. There is no easy way to set a player or enemy target as a focus, and there is no dual targeting. Don't make us have to have our entire keyboard bound with abilities and forcing players to learn them all and hoping against hope that people we play with have learnt each and every one of their keybinds inside and out off the top of their heads where it's all reflex.

There's no in-game combat log immediately visible with all information you need calculated and sorted so no-one actually knows how they're doing or if another player is someone they can see how they do it and learn from it, or if THAT person giving you crap and "teaching you how to play" is full of it or not, or even if - gasp - you're better than them. When someone's accusing you of not doing something there's no way you can link a piece of information that shows otherwise. With no defense mechanisms it all comes back to ego and how aggressive you are rather than how good, or even how not terrible you are. Let alone learn for sure that what you're thinking is the optimal way to play really is or how accurate the theorycrafters are. When someone's clearly doing something wrong and you're the one cleaning it up (yes, I play a healer) there's no definitive way to make them understand that there actually WERE consequences. And maybe, just maybe it could have been that contributing to a wipe.

No ingame learning tools. Like warnings for people who are tank-spec that they are losing aggro, which while probably not too useful in dungeons if only their target fires, but once a player has specc'd tank and a new warning comes up on screen it can get their attention. As it is, it clearly explains a tank is defensive and takes little damage. But there can be no way for them to have put two and two together and work out (and lets face it - people can come to wrong conclusions) that in a group situations that means THEY take the damage, and those abilities which mention "high threat" etc in the tooltip are important and something to ask about, and that it's their role to make everything hit them and the dps's kill things. Believe it or not, but I have met players new to MMO's and all of this is new. Healer? pretty self-explanatory. DPS? Pretty self-explanatory. But very little way of knowing if you're up to scratch.

No ingame way to learn about a fight and all the mechanics involved in the fight unless someone in the group has done it. No warnings much in combat, no hints, nothing. Not even enabled because it's your first time. No codex entry telling you the mechanics involved so you can form a strategy. Nope. It's ALL out-of-game or finish the run in some way and ask someone later.

OK I can deal with operation frames not changing color or flashing at me to show me who needs dispelling, but seriously, make the debuff bigger than the others or something. And could the buffs and debuffs be separated at all? And do I really need to see each and every buff every player has at all times in the first place? Please, when you implement these healing improvements in 1.2, please, never forget that almost every healer has a unique approach to how they heal and use their UI and peripherals etc. Very few healers have identical styles (although in SWTOR with so few healing spells this is far less of a concern as to be almost non-existent for now) and healing is more of an art.

This whole attitude coming from so many players "It's my way or the highway, if you don't like something about how you play this game apparently for fun go back to your other game" attitude. Of course. Make as many people as possible suffer in-game through bad attitude coupled with an absolute lack of any sort of checks and balances and anything which could bring balance and accountability into the game and leave them absolutely correct in the stance that "Bioware supports us". No wonder they are so against other MMO's. They're all more performance-based than ego-driven. And about having something to do when you log on, even if none of your guildies or friends are.
I don't experience any of the problems you just stated. I wasn't in beta. I picked this game up on release, logged in when I was allowed, and picked it up really easy.

You have problems knowing if you've lost aggro? Really? The mob you're hitting suddenly turns its back to you and goes after somebody else, and you're not quick enough to realize: "Hey! I lost aggro!" Come off it.

Checks and balances? Political Science 101 is that way >>

There is nothing elitist about learning the ropes, buddy.

You need to examine yourself closely and reconsider what you want out of life.
Azhal of the A'qell Legacy
Kath Hound role-player
The Proxima Initiative

Paralassa
03.16.2012 , 03:45 PM | #22
Hi there!

We appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. However, we do ask that that feedback is constructive. This post goes into more detail about what we're looking for in feedback and how to make sure your feedback is constructive and helpful.

With that in mind, we're going to go ahead and close the thread. If you have suggestions for the game, we have a forum for specific suggestions, the Suggestion Box. We encourage you to continue your discussion in one of these locations.

Thank you for understanding and helping us make sure that the forums are as constructive and helpful as possible!