Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Character cannot shoot

mgraeme
03.15.2012 , 11:01 PM | #1
Hi everyone, I'm a complete newbie to MMOs . . and frankly, I am stuck here. My level 6 Trooper has gotten to a state that it doesn't fire in combat situations anymore. I can't figure out whats wrong. There is a gun in the character's hand but for some reason, it just won't shoot anymore.

Has it run out of charge ? It doesn't matter what gun, it just will not shoot anymore and I can't find any indication why.

How can I fix this problem ?

The Greenload icon in the bar below has now disappeared as well. How does this happen ?

Apologies for the utter newbie questions but I have been looking around for answers and I just can't find any.

Also, is there a way to print the screen so that I can show the status of the bar ?

Eternalnight
03.15.2012 , 11:10 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by mgraeme View Post

The Greenload icon in the bar below has now disappeared as well. How does this happen ?
Because you mousedrag and move things out of there.

Now open your abilities (press P or click that thing on top of screen) and choose your class abilities tab and mouse drag them back.

Now once you have all them in proper place, LOCK YOUR ABILITY BAR by clicking the lock on the left side of it.

Now here comes the most important part:

You can place all other abilities can be placed to whichever slot you feel like, but your Hammer shot should ALWAYS be in the SLOT 1 of your upper middle quick slot bar

http://www.torhead.com/ability/cEdZjin/hammer-shot

(or for any other class whatever ability was in the slot 1 should be kept there without moving it or replacing it with something)

Bedrayne
03.15.2012 , 11:12 PM | #3
For the Print screen, if you ahvea standard US keyboard hitting the "Print Screen" button will save a copy of your current screen in a folder in the "My Documents/Star Wars: The Old Republic" folder (note this is NOT the folder your SW is installed in but is in your doc folder.
For the rest it sounds like you might just have to reload the UI (Ctrl-U two times). If that doesn't work completely shut down SW:TOR and reload. There is no normal (non-bug) reason for you to be unable to shoot anything that is in your range and in front of you.

Eternalnight
03.15.2012 , 11:20 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bedrayne View Post
For the rest it sounds like you might just have to reload the UI (Ctrl-U two times). If that doesn't work completely shut down SW:TOR and reload. There is no normal (non-bug) reason for you to be unable to shoot anything that is in your range and in front of you.
There is, and none of that will help at all.

One more time, do what I said above.

Open your abilities window and drag your HAMMER SHOT into quickslot number 1 of your ability bar and other missing abilities to whatever.

Bammur
03.15.2012 , 11:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by mgraeme View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a complete newbie to MMOs . . and frankly, I am stuck here. My level 6 Trooper has gotten to a state that it doesn't fire in combat situations anymore. I can't figure out whats wrong. There is a gun in the character's hand but for some reason, it just won't shoot anymore.

Has it run out of charge ? It doesn't matter what gun, it just will not shoot anymore and I can't find any indication why.

How can I fix this problem ?

Apologies for the utter newbie questions but I have been looking around for answers and I just can't find any.

Also, is there a way to print the screen so that I can show the status of the bar ?
I'm having a hard time coming up with possiblities for your issues. Unlike some other classes you don't have to build up focus or anything to shoot, all you do is use up ammunition. Not sure you can run out of ammunition at level 6.

How are you shooting? By default, right clicking the mouse fires whatever is in ability slot 1, so if you are using that method and have put something that needs certain conditions in there, that might be a problem. At level 6 there just aren't that many things that can go wrong.

Also not sure what you mean by green load icon. If you are refering to an ablity that has disappeared, you may have accidentally dragged it off the bar. Press P to bring up the ability window and drag it back. You may not know this yet but you can change your preferences (hit esc for the menu) so that you have 4 ability bars.

Alt-print screen will send a screenshot to your default directory, usually under your windows user directory.

Eternalnight
03.15.2012 , 11:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bammur View Post
By default, right clicking the mouse fires whatever is in ability slot 1, so
And for the third time, what should always be kept in the slot 1 is Hammer shot
http://www.torhead.com/ability/cEdZjin/hammer-shot

Quote:
Press P to bring up the ability window and drag it back. You may not know this yet but you can change your preferences (hit esc for the menu) so that you have 4 ability bars.
And this

shama
03.16.2012 , 04:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Bammur View Post
I'm having a hard time coming up with possiblities for your issues.
As eternalnight has diagnosed, the number 1 cause for people in the new player forum reporting that they "can't attack" is because they are right-click attackers and have moved things from their action bars.
They also often demonstrate a confusion between equipment and abilities, so see they have a gun equipped but not realise that abilities are how you actually use your weapon.

So yeah, OP, follow eternalnight's advice and post back a 'thank you' when you've got it working so others know what to do when they have a similar problem.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision