Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

★★★[ARENA] - benefits of adding ARENA to SWTOR★★★

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
★★★[ARENA] - benefits of adding ARENA to SWTOR★★★

Arkerus
03.15.2012 , 06:51 PM | #11
Arenas put a huge microscope on PvP and force a ton of class balance issues that never really work out. One month there is a super combo and they balance it...the next month there is a new synergy combo and the cycle continues.

Arenas add a microscope we don't need.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Niaoru
03.15.2012 , 06:51 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Masterdeathh View Post
I would have to pass on arena in this also. I spent 4 years playing WoW and after noticing that 70% of all class nerfs were made for arena balance without even looking at pve balance i could really care less about seeing it in another mmo.
Cause the PvE in this game isn't a joke or anything, lol. I'm sure they could nerf all off the classes, and we would still be able to complete the Nightmare OPs.
Niaoru - V65+ Scoundrel/Scrapper
ePeen - Republic PvP/PvE Guild

Mirialol
03.15.2012 , 06:52 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Masterdeathh View Post
I would have to pass on arena in this also. I spent 4 years playing WoW and after noticing that 70% of all class nerfs were made for arena balance without even looking at pve balance i could really care less about seeing it in another mmo.
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Arenas put a huge microscope on PvP and force a ton of class balance issues that never really work out. One month there is a super combo and they balance it...the next month there is a new synergy combo and the cycle continues.

that is because blizzard managed pvp side of game very poorly, made none of the data i mentioned publically available, and had no rationale behind nerfs / buffs (developers themselves never pvp'ed i bet)

if they follow all of the steps i illustrated on 2nd post to balance the ladder and classes, we can pretty much ignore every negative side-effect arena had on wow's balance

plus if they add 1v1 ladder with the 'matchup weighting system' i mentioned, there is no possible way it can be unbalanced ladder-wise

Mirialol
03.15.2012 , 07:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by FINALBOSS View Post
Pass on Arenas. NO thank you.

Objective based WZ maps and maybe 1-2 TDM maps > Arenas.

Arenas are breeding grounds for skilled players...but they are also breeding grounds for a terrible community with a dash of class OP outcry.
ironically 99% of players that post OP outcries in wow forums are casuals who mostly play BG's and never step a foot into arena. (example: blood DKs are so overpowered please nerf!)

top rank1 players usually never post that kind of garbage

Cial
03.15.2012 , 07:05 PM | #15
+1

we want arenas
Cialy - Mara
Cial - Sorc
The Bastion

Anbokr
03.15.2012 , 07:06 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Niaoru View Post
Truth. Arena's are pretty much the only reason I played WoW for a very long time. I honestly haven't even logged into SWTOR in over a week, and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing, like I would if I took a week break from WoW.(Keep in mind, for the time period in which I am talking about, the only thing I did in WoW was arenas)
this x10

Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
But they add a fun factor that players like me need.
Keller's Void
<The GAF Empire>
Priapus (Empire) - 50 Marauder
Harck (Empire) - 50 Agent

iceperson
03.15.2012 , 07:09 PM | #17
oh look, another thread about comprena

Beermefatty
03.15.2012 , 07:09 PM | #18
Well written OP.

I have played many MMOS's, including WoW from release. I love PvP, and participated in Arenas in TBC and hovered around 1900 ratings on multiple classes, but I did not like the direction of them towards WotLK an onward. I am actually against Arenas for reasons others have posted above.

Some may say Im a noob, never broke 2K, blah blah...whatever. I enjoyed the competition and playing with my friends regardless if we were not the fotm or even had great synergy as classes together...like I said, I just LOVE pvp.

The way you have it spelled out.... I think I would enjoy arenas in SWTOR. I am just skepticle of the potential changes that could be brought about because of the cries of the people that cant stand to lose because the class they play cannot 1 shot everything.

Anyways... great post. It got me thinking about it. You may have turned an arena hater into an arena advocate.

Anbokr
03.15.2012 , 07:12 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by iceperson View Post
oh look, another thread about comprena
You can't throw three 5'10" basketball players on one team and expect to do well. Arena is about skill, comp, and strategy--like nearly every other sport. RMP in WoW would be the triangle in basketball, yes it's been strong and effective for years; however, there are alternatives and many other comps can be successful.
Keller's Void
<The GAF Empire>
Priapus (Empire) - 50 Marauder
Harck (Empire) - 50 Agent

caultonpos
03.15.2012 , 07:13 PM | #20
Right now just about anything would be nice since i've already done thousands of warzones.