Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Black screen freezes comp.

Valknor
12.14.2011 , 08:16 PM | #1
This happen in beta now in early access. I play for random amount of time then the screen goes black and my comp makes like the noise when your phone is off the hook.I have to restart my comp by holding the power button because nothing else works. I have a Nividia GForce GTS 240 which has 1g. All the other games I play have no prob. Can someone help me?

Master_Rayden
12.14.2011 , 08:19 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Valknor View Post
This happen in beta now in early access. I play for random amount of time then the screen goes black and my comp makes like the noise when your phone is off the hook.I have to restart my comp by holding the power button because nothing else works. I have a Nividia GForce GTS 240 which has 1g. All the other games I play have no prob. Can someone help me?
maybe something wrong with this graphics card cause I can't get any picture after hitting start!!!
Proud Member
Disciples of the Fallen
Sith Empire Hardcore PvP

khaoimon
12.14.2011 , 08:20 PM | #3
I have the same issue, but am not at home to try some of the fixes I came across today. Two similar threads for you:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=8765
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=19185

Its very random for me. Sometimes hours, sometimes 30 minutes. If I wait long enough I can crash out to windows but anything I try to run after crashes as well (firefox, windows media, etc) which leads to eventual restart.

It is probably important to note I've never seen this cause a blue screen.

From what I can gather it could be:
sound driver needs update
video driver needs update
Page file not large enough

In the two threads about everyone has win 7 64bit and nvidia graphics, but that could just be a coincidence. And of course, doesn't happen in any other game.

Without dx this probably isn't useful, but I get the same event error message I got in beta as well. This is however, a very generic error message that can point to many things. Might be worth checking your event viewer to see if it is the same:

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ee1478d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
Faulting process id: 0x14434
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccba37474cbda0
Faulting application path: D:\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c259f0ce-262f-11e1-93ac-0030679e7cc4

If I get a chance to try and fix it tonight I'll update you on what I did.

khaoimon
12.16.2011 , 04:21 AM | #4
After trying everything I can think of without success I turned off shadows (even though I get 40-100 fps with them on) and thus far no crashes. But as it is random for me (30min-4 hours) it may have just not shown itself yet.