Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Darth title in french? (Ref. 1.1.5 general/classes)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Darth title in french? (Ref. 1.1.5 general/classes)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

flyersfan
03.15.2012 , 03:20 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Audoucet View Post
Yeah, but we don't give a crap. We can not, pronounce "Darth", we just can't. Like you can't pronounce "Français" so you say "french".
This isn't actually true. I can pronounce "français." Maybe not as well as a native speaker, but we're not looking for perfection here. It's the same thing as whenever I go to a café, use a baguette for a sandwich, eat a croissant (which I do actually pronounce it correctly when spoken), or use other French words. The one that tickles me the most is the phrase "in lieu" because it sounds so drastically different in French that I often get funny looks. People find it to be a bit pretentious, but I would hope that non-English speakers would give our language the same respect that I give theirs.

Cilionelle
03.15.2012 , 04:04 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by bleedo View Post
Did they go with the Rakatan meaning of the word, thereby translating "Triump over Death", or what?

Triomphesurlamort Vader
Vaincrelamort Vader

Vadermort? The Sith who must not be named?

LeLink
03.16.2012 , 08:21 AM | #23
Back in the beta, the last title for Sith Warriors was "Emperor's Wrath". Close to the release it was changed to "Darth", probably after lots of feedback from players wanting both Sith classes to end up "Darth".

The problem was that the french translation team kept the old translation. French Sith Warriors had the "Furie de l'Empereur" title, which is the french "Emperor's Wrath".

The patch replaced "Furie de l'Empereur" with "Dark", as it should have been from day 1.

Frenchs translated "Darth" in "Dark" back in '77 because they aren't used to pronounce "th". Ask a french to say "the" and he'll come up with "ze" if he's not very used to talking english.
Our cultures makes us used to pronounciations, try to make a Japanese say "Excalibur", or an English say "crème fraiche" properly.