Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rng?

uramu
03.12.2012 , 09:33 AM | #1
With the changes ahead for Armormech, I decided to revisit it on my Trooper. In short, I'm questioning whether it's really all about RNG, or if there's some sort of cap on how often you are permitted to have RE successes. I've spent the bulk of the last 5-6 days crafting and REing armor pieces and managed only two epic REs. That in itself doesn't sound wholly unreasonable, but what has been unreasonable is the complete lack of RE success I've had over the past 3 days. I've crafted and REd roughly 100 pieces of gear without success over this time. I realize the common response to this complaint is anything between "Just bad luck" and "LOL I get all mine on the first try cuz I'm awsum!". That aside, I'm just curious if anyone has speculated about or noticed any increased level of success REing after the weekly resets.

Just one of many thoughts I've had regarding the present system while praying for future improvements. Thanks for any insights.
I find your lack of faith ... Impressive. Most impressive.
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernow View Post
The Dark Side script seems to be mostly aimed at giving adolescent players a power trip and letting them be a jerk without any real consequences beyond developing a bad skin condition with optional on-off switch.

Marlaine
03.12.2012 , 09:43 AM | #2
No one could really give insight without more details. For example, did you try to RE one specific item 100 times without luck? Or did you try to RE multiple items 5-10x each? That makes a huge difference in how your situation can be analyzed.

From my experience there is no cap to how many items you can RE. I've done days where I RE'd and got 10+ purple schematics. Others that I've only got a few. It all depends on the quality and quantity of the items you are trying to RE, particularly consider your crafting time is so much longer at the higher levels.

uramu
03.12.2012 , 09:57 AM | #3
I'm REing the same item repeatedly until I get a blue success that suits me (i.e. not redoubt), then I cease producing greens and RE the blue repeatedly until I get to purple. I've yet to bother trying to be picky about what purple I get due to how expensive it is to just get one.

Today, for example, I've REd 25 (Edit: 35) level 41 bracers and have yet to get a blue. This is after spending over $250k buying titanium and REing the same set of blue boots in excess of 50 times over the past couple of days without success.

I've heard the speculation before about chances being lower if I RE one at a time versus one after another in bulk. I've experienced no differences either way and question the theory's validity. (For example, the first purple success I had was the second blue chest piece I ever crafted. I crafted these one at a time.) Is the REing in bulk idea just a theory, or something the devs have shed light on being true?
The Dark Side script seems to be mostly aimed at giving adolescent players a power trip and letting them be a jerk without any real consequences beyond developing a bad skin condition with optional on-off switch.

Marlaine
03.12.2012 , 11:05 AM | #4
35 wrists, ouch. You'd think you'd find a blue by then, but it is a higher level item which I've discovered generally have a much lower chance of procing a RE, so 35 times may not be all that much in the grand scheme of things.

I vary between re'ing as items come out versus bulk, and haven't seen much of a difference. But I have no idea if the devs have stated anything about this. Personally, I think it's all just rumors and wishful thinking. No rng is perfect, but the fact still remains that for each RE you're simply rolling a number. If that number lies within the numbers eligible for a new schematic, you get it, if not, you don't. However many you make doesn't affect at all the roll you'll get for each attempt at RE.

Darzil
03.12.2012 , 11:19 AM | #5
I've found items above 40 to successfully RE a lot less than earlier items. I've seen it specifically for Artiface, as I levelled over 2-3 days from 1 to 400, on orange difficulty items for most of the way. Whilst at low levels I frequently had several successful RE's (indeed have most Hilts/Mods/Crystals at blue quality at lower levels), I found them vanishingly rare at high levels. I found the same in Armormech and Synthweaving.

I believe changes to high level RE was mentioned in the Crew Skills panel of the Guild Summit.

uramu
03.12.2012 , 12:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Marlaine View Post
35 wrists, ouch...
55 as of this post, and I'm almost out of mats. My patience was exhausted a while ago.

JoyProtocol
03.12.2012 , 12:33 PM | #7
Now this is RNG indeed, so take it with a grain of salt.

But I find that skill level really matters (not player level). At my current skill level of 343, I have very little trouble RE'ing lower level items into blue and purple.

As an example, somebody asked me for a level 33 Techblade, which was green-difficulty at the time. I RE'd about 15 of those to get the blue, and I noticed that by the time I received the schematic the recipe had gone grey.

I also *feel* that higher level items are harder to RE. I have been RE'ing autocannons for my future commando alt, and had no trouble with level 9, 13 and 19. I have not yet been able to RE the higher level ones... but that's in part due to the fact that I don't have those mats readily available anymore.

Generally, I find that RE'ing grey quality items nets me a blue in 1-10 attempts, and a purple in 1-20 attempts.

I have had literally no luck getting a purple of orange/yellow difficulty (well... barrels, once or twice at really low levels) and only had 2 blues pop.

Logically, if you are level 50 and 400 in your crafting skill, you will not have grey recipes for the desired gear. Good luck until 1.2.