Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darth_Solrac
03.09.2012 , 01:40 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
Fact is, we don't know yet. All we have is speculation.
Thanks.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Sykomyke
03.09.2012 , 04:26 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Sirsri View Post
<Snip>
Just because you refuse to listen to audio cues, doesn't make it a bad system. But keep on thinking that because you dictate that audio cues are worthless that it obviates my argument.

*Hint*: It doesn't.

Many people, including myself use audio cues for many things; including timing and situational awareness. If you refuse to use them, that's your fault. Not mine.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Coldin
03.09.2012 , 04:29 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Just because you refuse to listen to audio cues, doesn't make it a bad system. But keep on thinking that because you dictate that audio cues are worthless that it obviates my argument.

*Hint*: It doesn't.

Many people, including myself use audio cues for many things; including timing and situational awareness. If you refuse to use them, that's your fault. Not mine.
The audio cues are nice....but it is true that if there's ever two or more scoundrel/operatives, they don't do much good. Buff icons are also so small that it's not really that feasible to look down and tell what they are at a glance.

Some kind of visual effect on the avatar would help a lot to knowing when certain buffs and procs are up.

silky_soft_
03.09.2012 , 05:52 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Well no.

Any kind of structural change we do (e.g. a skill that had 3 points now has 2 points) or if a skill changes what it does or moves to a different tier will require us to give all players in that tree a free respec. Anything else would be unfair to the player. I'm not going to start changing your character without giving you that option.

Game Update 1.2. contains the result of several months of feedback and data gathered from real player interactions with our servers. We're quite deliberate in our pace of making adjustments to classes, taking our time to see where classes are developing as players get into the game, watching new specs coming and going as the community develops counter measures against them. Game Update 1.2 is an opportunity for us to roll out greater changes and big picture improvements or rebalances.

The changes made to most classes are more evolutionary adjustments or quality of life upgrades along with balance improvements (up and down). Still, we won't be the arbiter of whether a change makes a skill worthwhile or no longer worthwhile for your build, you can make that decision for yourself, hence the free respec.
so you are saying that sent/maur are getting focus/rage 'buff' (/nerf) and some lame skillpoint that gives more range or less cooldown? you know we take this spec that just for the alpha stirke. I don't want to go back to dot dot choke spec
wtb silence skill
wtb solo and 4 man ranked warzones
wtb cross server que
wtb 1 united server

dizzyMongoose
03.09.2012 , 06:18 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by silky_soft_ View Post
so you are saying that sent/maur are getting focus/rage 'buff' (/nerf) and some lame skillpoint that gives more range or less cooldown? you know we take this spec that just for the alpha stirke. I don't want to go back to dot dot choke spec
How in the world did you manage to take that offhand generic example and turn it into something specific to Sentinels? That's incredible, that you somehow interpreted that as an actual change and somehow thought up a specific skill for it. No, Georg is not saying that at all; in fact, he didn't say anything specific to a class, just that skill points being refunded if they change the structure of skill trees.

silky_soft_
03.09.2012 , 06:23 PM | #106
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1219843p1.html
Quote:
Class changes in 1.2 include new abilities for the Warrior and the Knight, a nerf for the Bounty Hunter, and more. Every class will receive changes, and all skill tree points refunded so you can look over the trees again before deciding how to rebuild your class. "Some players will be excited, some might not. That's always the case when there's tweaks to classes."
wtb silence skill
wtb solo and 4 man ranked warzones
wtb cross server que
wtb 1 united server

GeorgZoeller
03.09.2012 , 07:08 PM | #107 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Uh, well, no. How do I explain this?

I am saying exactly what I am saying in my post. Some skills in the game had structural changes. I am not mentioning any specific class. I'm giving a generic example of something that could be considered a structural change.

How you can turn this into something that references Marauders, Sentinels, focus and alpha strikes or DOTs is completely beyond me.

Onager
03.09.2012 , 07:27 PM | #108
Yes, we're totally aware of that IGN article that misconstrues and decontextualizes the facts.

https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/statu...36594037465090

Quote:
@demonicking08 We're not entirely sure why IGN reported on that; BH is not getting 'singled out' for changes in 1.2.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

GeorgZoeller
03.09.2012 , 07:30 PM | #109 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
One thing that I was really hoping would come out of the Guild Summit was more information on what class balances would be taking place in 1.2. There's been some hints here and there that changes are coming. IGN even reported that Jedi Knights will be receiving some new skills, while Bounty Hunters will be receiving a nerf. In fact, entire skill trees are changing so greatly they're actually refunding our skill points for free.

However we have yet to see any details about this. With 1.2 being pushed out to early April, it's becoming more difficult for me to remain patient. In particular with the reduction to damage to Scoundrel Scrapper damage, and the relative silence of Bioware to concerns about the classes effectiveness in Operations and PVP. I'm not eager to have to wait another month to find out how classes will be changing to become more balanced, and I'm sure many others are becoming impatient as well.

All of the other 1.2 changes and additions sound great so far, but they won't mean much to me if certain classes are still inherently better than others. Let's hear some information about what 1.2 will be doing to classes in particular, and don't skimp on the details.
Nobody outside the building has seen the patch notes for 1.2 yet. So whoever is reporting anything regarding the class changes in 1.2 is likely doing so based on second or third hand commentary from someone who might - or might not - have seen the patch notes.

I got asked some questions regarding individual classes by people at the Guild Summit and have answered all of them. When / if these people decide to divulge those answers is up to them.

In regards to comments about 'relative silence about class X': We generally do not comment on balance related plans or findings on the Forums, for any class, until we have made a firm decision to change something and the patch that does so is on the Public Test Server. Doing anything else would limit options and create unreasonable expectations.

We do, at rare occasions, hint at upcoming changes (e.g. in a Q&A), but these cases are exceptions.

Yes, you may say 'Georg, then give us the real information'. That's fair, we totally appreciate that you guys are impatient. However, giving you that information requires it to be final, and it is not. It will be final enough for initial public consumption when patch 1.2 is on PTS.

It's tempting to give snippets and hints about these changes here, now, to calm people down - but all that will accomplish is everyone who isn't getting their information will cry foul. It's happening already based on the article you are referencing ("Why are you nerfing X but not Y"), which is completely void of any details. On the internet, saying X means that everyone else hears 'Not Y'.

So:

Yes, I want you to have that information, but I want everyone to get it at the same time, when it is ready, and I want you to get the full picture. Thus, you will all get it with the full patch notes on PTS. Once that information is there, you can test the changes on the server and voice your feedback as usual and yes, some people will be happy, some won't.

If we ever reach the point where every class thinks they are completely balanced and everything is great, I'll take the red pill and unplug from the matrix.

TheNinjaboy
03.09.2012 , 07:48 PM | #110
I cancelled with 1.2 patch as the reason.

Didn't like what I saw to be honest and it's going to be getting warm outside soon.

I have about 2 weeks and might resub depending on what everyone says about 1.2.

Right now it doesn't look good though and neither does the current state of the game.