Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

StephenReid's Avatar


StephenReid
03.09.2012 , 10:41 AM | #381
There are no current development efforts to create a Mac OS client for Star Wars: The Old Republic (or indeed, for any other operating system or platform).

No-one here hates Macs (in fact, many of us quite like them ) but development efforts are currently focused on expanding and improving the game for PC/Windows.

Rami__'s Avatar


Rami__
03.09.2012 , 10:43 AM | #382
Hmm, I don't know enough about their codebase to comment on that. Take in mind it generates another wing for CS to deal with too.

Still, if their internal investigations into these things come to the same conclusions I'd happily support it. If they get ROI it means overall more time and effort will be spent on the game, rather than taken away.

Still, it will mean testing on more dimensions, and will most likely mean more testing for releases.
Having problems with lag or other GFX issues in SWTOR? See this thread for some possibly helpful tips and tricks.

Lethality's Avatar


Lethality
03.09.2012 , 10:44 AM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
There are no current development efforts to create a Mac OS client for Star Wars: The Old Republic (or indeed, for any other operating system or platform).

No-one here hates Macs (in fact, many of us quite like them ) but development efforts are currently focused on expanding and improving the game for PC/Windows.
Hey Stephen

Could you clarify Greg's comments in this article a bit, possibly?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...-is-something/
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Lethality's Avatar


Lethality
03.09.2012 , 10:47 AM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by Rami__ View Post
Hmm, I don't know enough about their codebase to comment on that. Take in mind it generates another wing for CS to deal with too.

Still, if their internal investigations into these things come to the same conclusions I'd happily support it. If they get ROI it means overall more time and effort will be spent on the game, rather than taken away.

Still, it will mean testing on more dimensions, and will most likely mean more testing for releases.
Yes, each case is different, but I'm using first-hand experience from projects I've worked on. Perhaps the effort for an MMO is greater than 15%, but I know it's not 100%

I just know Blizzard handles it all without skipping a beat, and I want to believe that EA/BioWare is in the same position.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Rami__'s Avatar


Rami__
03.09.2012 , 10:49 AM | #385
Hmm don't think their comments are mutually exclusive. The interview states 'We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy.' which I take to be the same as the comment here. Finger in the wind estimate on any realistic turn around on a Mac client would be 6 months to get it to a PTS stage, full year for a deployment, if they started soon. Maybe that's pessimistic?

In the short to medium term the best is hoping that an avid fan takes it upon himself to find a good Wine work around.
Having problems with lag or other GFX issues in SWTOR? See this thread for some possibly helpful tips and tricks.

Lethality's Avatar


Lethality
03.09.2012 , 10:52 AM | #386
Quote: Originally Posted by Rami__ View Post
Hmm don't think their comments are mutually exclusive. The interview states 'We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy.' which I take to be the same as the comment here. Finger in the wind estimate on any realistic turn around on a Mac client would be 6 months to get it to a PTS stage, full year for a deployment, if they started soon. Maybe that's pessimistic?

In the short to medium term the best is hoping that an avid fan takes it upon himself to find a good Wine work around.
That's my point in all of this - by releasing it later (especially a year later) you can no longer bank off of the hype, buzz and marketing of an initial launch. You now have to re-market specifically to Mac players, making the recoup even steeper.

From the beginning, I never understood why it wasn't a cross-platform choice. I've been advocating for this since the day the forums went live on October 21, 2008... but the decision made back in 2006 or whenever didn't take into account the growth that would happen to the Mac market and the Apple brand in general.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
03.09.2012 , 11:01 AM | #387
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
That's my point in all of this - by releasing it later (especially a year later) you can no longer bank off of the hype, buzz and marketing of an initial launch. You now have to re-market specifically to Mac players, making the recoup even steeper.

From the beginning, I never understood why it wasn't a cross-platform choice. I've been advocating for this since the day the forums went live on October 21, 2008... but the decision made back in 2006 or whenever didn't take into account the growth that would happen to the Mac market and the Apple brand in general.
Here's why: Steam survey finds more than 8% of gamers use Mac OSX

OK so let's call that 9%. Now let's say that half of those will be happy using bootstrap so 4.5%.

Let's say the game has sold about 2 million copies so far. If that's the case, BioWare has lost revenue from 90,000 Mac-only players to date. Assume BioWare's portion of the box revenue is $25 per box. They've elected to forego $2,250,000 by not supporting Mac directly.

I assume they can do math and surveys and they know the real numbers better than these estimates. However, if these estimates are anywhere near close, when you consider everything they'd have to do to support a Mac client - hardware, ongoing engineering, testing, and support - it's probably not worth it.

Edit: Choosing to game on a Mac is like choosing to drive a diesel powered automobile. There are simply going to be some gas stations you can't fill up at.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

RTCBrad's Avatar


RTCBrad
03.09.2012 , 11:03 AM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaszamonde View Post
No, it's a waste of development time that could be better spent elsewhere.
This 100%.

Mineria's Avatar


Mineria
03.09.2012 , 11:08 AM | #389
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Here's why: Steam survey finds more than 8% of gamers use Mac OSX

OK so let's call that 9%. Now let's say that half of those will be happy using bootstrap so 4.5%.

Let's say the game has sold about 2 million copies so far. If that's the case, BioWare has lost revenue from 90,000 Mac-only players to date. Assume BioWare's portion of the box revenue is $25 per box. They've elected to forego $2,250,000 by not supporting Mac directly.

I assume they can do math and surveys and they know the real numbers better than these estimates. However, if these estimates are anywhere near close, when you consider everything they'd have to do to support a Mac client - hardware, ongoing engineering, testing, and support - it's probably not worth it.

Edit: Choosing to game on a Mac is like choosing to drive a diesel powered automobile. There are simply going to be some gas stations you can't fill up at.
On the other hand there isn't the same amount of variation in hardware to support as for the PC version.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
03.09.2012 , 11:12 AM | #390
Quote: Originally Posted by Mineria View Post
On the other hand there isn't the same amount of variation in hardware to support as for the PC version.
BioWare is a business that is owned by a greedy sumbatch of a business called EA. If they believed there was profit to be made by supporting Mac, they'd support Mac. It's really that simple.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer