Scoundrel + Blink

Xallionn

First let me preface this by saying that I do not play a scoundrel\operative. This is not meant to address any damage\healing issues that may exist.

Give scoundrels\operatives an ability similar to mage's blink from wow.

This would be unique to the class.

This would be a great defensive move.

This would be a great gap closer.

This could have cool talents associated with it such as:

Scapegoat: Whenever you "blink", you create a holographic copy of yourself with 10% of your max health. Lasts 5 seconds. Enemies targeting you now target the copy.

Escape: Whenever you "blink", remove all damage and movement impairing effects.

Displacement: Whenever you "blink", you displace enemies around your arrival point slowing their movement speed by 50% for 5 seconds.

Hasten: Whenever you "blink", increase energy regeneration by 50% for 5 seconds.

-- Xallion

They need to give Scondrels/Operatives a teleport move that works while in stealth that places them behind the target. That way, they're not wasting the first few seconds of a fight trying to sneak up behind a mob while the rest of the group is fighting, plus it would be a good gap closer in PVP. Edited by Galbatorrix

there is no tech for a blink move so it wouldn't make sense for smugglers.

For force users i can see it happening but not really applies to smugs

It wouldnt have to be, just a quick dash roll similar to rolling into cover, that puts you behind the target, and maybe scatters a caltrop type effect behind them, slowing all who could catch up with the scrapper.

That would totally be in line with a smuggler storyline/lore, and would effectively allow us 1. More Survivability, and 2. a reliable Gap closer that sets us up for a nice finishing move that they could implement (stares at Bioware for denying us not only a gap closer, survivability, and our good burst damage to make up for such things, but also a finishing move that knights/warriors have.)

Edited by Dejected

maybe a speed boost called but teleporting....they dont have the technology.

Uh, doesn't Belsavis use teleportation? Why would a "Personal Teleporter" be any different?

Eitherway, a 10-15M dive/roll would probably work just the same as long as they allowed the move without it breaking stealth. It would set openers like Shoot First up nicely.

Edited by Galbatorrix

Uh, doesn't Belsavis use teleportation? Why would a "Personal Teleporter" be any different?

Eitherway, a 10-15M dive/roll would probably work just the same as long as they allowed the move without it breaking stealth. It would set openers like Shoot First up nicely.

cause the beslsavis teleportaion is rakata tech which they are still trying to figure out how to use and make them. They have no idea what they are and the teleport pads are fitted to dna for the use of one person (your character) the empire and republic are nowhere near the kind of tech to do that, even less as a gap closer.

For force users i can see this happening tho seeing as in my Agent storyline the last boss in chapter 1 did it.

sorry but im a lore freak. if they have something in the game with a class it needs to stick with lore. A speed boost would be fine tho. Since they do having healing skills they cause have a adrenaline shot to increase movment for x amount of time. spec it and it could remove mobility snares and what not. (like force speed but for smugs)

Bullwhip for Scoundrels, Grappling hook for Operatives.

Placable using the HUD blue/red circle overlay (ala huttball pass).

Swings to target area (regardless of terrain, as long as in los). Breaks stealth (downside), but gives a buff allowing use of shoot first (hidden strike) within 3 seconds of landing (upside, alongside closing a darned gap). Range 10-30m. 45-60s cooldown? Talent someplace to give it cc immunity for 2 seconds on use.

Good for PVE when all the other dps classes whizz by. Good for PVP because stealth IS NOT a gap closer.

With this added my Indiana Solo fantasy is complete. So long as it makes a cracking noise.

"woo-pah" (Chandler's awful impression)

sorry but im a lore freak. if they have something in the game with a class it needs to stick with lore. A speed boost would be fine tho. Since they do having healing skills they cause have a adrenaline shot to increase movment for x amount of time. spec it and it could remove mobility snares and what not. (like force speed but for smugs)

Your a *lore freak* and your still subbed? LoL.

Sounds like you are just selective to what you turn a blind eye to ...

there is no tech for a blink move so it wouldn't make sense for smugglers.

For force users i can see it happening but not really applies to smugs

Heard of holocalling? I think it's been around for the past like 1000 years

I hear they can take a small disc and render a 3d image in 3rd person...

So yeah I don't think it's hard to make one in color... after all it only took Humans like 20 years or something to get colored televisions, why not colored holograms....?

Hmm... No.

With "blink", you can't know whether you'll catch a fleeing enemy from behind or you'll teleport far ahead of him and won't be able to use backblast.

Here's what i'm thinking:

"Shadowstep (the name can be changed): Lobs a flash grenade, gets you behind your target in stealth. You may remain in stealth up to 2 seconds and when it ends, you get 70% resistance to all knockback and movement impairing effects for 3 seconds.

Cooldown: 3 Minutes

Range: 30m"

Reasons:

-Looks cool

-This way we can use Shoot First

-So we can make sure the bleeding enemy won't get away.

The cooldown can be reduced by 30/60 seconds with "Flee the Scene" talent.

Also we need to put a cooldown to shoot first to prevent exploits like "Stealth-> Shoot First, Disappearing Act -> Shoot First, Shadowstep -> Shootfirst"

6-9 seconds might be good. More would make it worse i think.

Edited by Mangetsu

I saw someone in the agent forums a few days ago make a post about something similar, and honestly, I feel it was a great idea. Give both smuggler and agent classes an ability to create temporary cover that in a location (huttball pass mechanic) that can be rolled into.

Say, max range of 20-30 meters away.

For this, a 2 minute CD sounds about right

Then give the operative/scoundrel a skill point addon that puts you into stealth afterwords.

1. - Effective

2. - Fits class mechanics that are already in place

3. - Benefits both classes which are in need of some kind of movement ability.

4. - Fits very well with the lore of the game.

Edit: The smuggler can then use their 'bull whip to move to said cover" and the agent can use some secret tech awesomeness to move to said cover.

Edited by Sir_Toothless

sorry but im a lore freak. if they have something in the game with a class it needs to stick with lore.

What? Like scatterguns? The lore says Slug throwers are ineffective against armour that can stop a Blaster. The military don't make significant use of shotguns now because there are better slug thrower techs for applying energy and momentum to the destruction of people.

You gotta pretty much ignore lore for the whole game environment to work. We're Smugglers: why can't we land pretty much wherever we want on-planet, especially somewhere as wild and uncontrolled as Tatooine or Hoth? How does a "shuttle" get us out of an underground bunker, back to a bind point when we're not even able to mount our speeder? Why do we have to launch every time we pop back to our ship for a chat with a Companion? If you're really a lore freak, I can't see how you can stand the game from its environment alone, leaving aside all the inconsistencies in story as you move through the game. "Oh noes! Impies with Stealth generators! Who knew?!" - Hoth, the most recent facepalm I've encountered.

You're playing a game of pixel stirring. Don't expect or look for consistency in lore, or even in a single storyline (Maelstrom Prison FP pair, I'm looking at you). Don't get me started on how many times you're placed in the position where the optimum start to a fight is "Disappearing Act", when if it were down to the character, it'd start with the enemies' weapons holstered and someone getting opener> dirty kick> backblast 'ed while another mob snoozed. There are so many "dramatic devices" used, in the fashion of Star Trek, that lore is frankly completely out the window.

I saw someone in the agent forums a few days ago make a post about something similar, and honestly, I feel it was a great idea. Give both smuggler and agent classes an ability to create temporary cover that in a location (huttball pass mechanic) that can be rolled into.

Say, max range of 20-30 meters away.

For this, a 2 minute CD sounds about right

Then give the operative/scoundrel a skill point addon that puts you into stealth afterwords.

1. - Effective

2. - Fits class mechanics that are already in place

3. - Benefits both classes which are in need of some kind of movement ability.

4. - Fits very well with the lore of the game.

Edit: The smuggler can then use their 'bull whip to move to said cover" and the agent can use some secret tech awesomeness to move to said cover.

After putting more thought into this ability, I honestly think it would be very sensible to give this mechanic to smugglers/agents between levels 10 and 15 for a few reasons.

1 - This would change the 'cover' mechanic in a way that would have it make sense to use. I mean, honestly, we can already 'roll' to a cover location that is 20+ meters away, so why not give us an ability that lets us chose a distant location to 'roll' to. Also, the actual animation for this ability is already in the game, so it would be easy to set up.

2 - It would be effective, it gives scoundrels/ops a good gap closer, or distance maker for healers. It would also give gunslingers/snipers an effective way to 'kite' a mob without backpedaling, while at the same time keeping the cover mechanic intact.

3 - Honestly, it is a logical decision that just fits the class. In all possible lore aspects as well as the mechanical aspects.

4 - In no way would this make our class overpowered. As I stated earlier, we can already technically do this, but only in a very gimmicky/buggy manner with the ability "take cover."

As far as the specifics, I would say a base recast of around 3 minutes would be logical.

A base range of 20 meters would be fine, and have the scoundrel/op version give 5 seconds of invisibility that breaks upon ability usage. Furthermore the gunslinger/sniper version could have an increased range of about 10 meters, for a total of 30 meters.

Edited by Sir_Toothless

After putting more thought into this ability, I honestly think it would be very sensible to give this mechanic to smugglers/agents between levels 10 and 15 for a few reasons.

1 - This would change the 'cover' mechanic in a way that would have it make sense to use. I mean, honestly, we can already 'roll' to a cover location that is 20+ meters away, so why not give us an ability that lets us chose a distant location to 'roll' to. Also, the actual animation for this ability is already in the game, so it would be easy to set up.

2 - It would be effective, it gives scoundrels/ops a good gap closer, or distance maker for healers. It would also give gunslingers/snipers an effective way to 'kite' a mob without backpedaling, while at the same time keeping the cover mechanic intact.

3 - Honestly, it is a logical decision that just fits the class. In all possible lore aspects as well as the mechanical aspects.

4 - In no way would this make our class overpowered. As I stated earlier, we can already technically do this, but only in a very gimmicky/buggy manner with the ability "take cover."

As far as the specifics, I would say a base recast of around 3 minutes would be logical.

A base range of 20 meters would be fine, and have the scoundrel/op version give 5 seconds of invisibility that breaks upon ability usage. Furthermore the gunslinger/sniper version could have an increased range of about 10 meters, for a total of 30 meters.

I do like this version of the ability. It would be better than a shadowstep ability. The main thing I'm looking for here is both a gap closer and a gap opener (for healers and perhaps ranged). This does seem to achieve both. However, based on other similar gap closers in the game, I would put this on a 45 second cooldown. 3 minutes would be too long.

Edited by Xallionn

I do like this version of the ability. It would be better than a shadowstep ability. The main thing I'm looking for here is both a gap closer and a gap opener (for healers and perhaps ranged). This does seem to achieve both. However, based on other similar gap closers in the game, I would put this on a 45 second cooldown. 3 minutes would be too long.

My only problem with a short cooldown, would be that some sneaky gunslinger/sniper would be able to 'climb' to the top of some obstacle that they aren't supposed to be on in the warzones. And since they are in cover, they can't be pulled to/ jumped to.

This, in my opinion would fit how a sniperish class would be played, and just meants that they would have to be killed by a sorc/sage or BH, or another sniper. But I know there would be a long lost of QQers in the pvp forums saying how their jugg wasnt able to jump to a sniper and knock them out of their hiding place etc.

Honestly I'd just like to see a greater use for roll to cover to gain distance. We could have roll to cover and roll to stand. Sure it's only 10m but if we had a directional option (simply facing) it would allow some very nice tactics.

Elevation wouldn't be something it would allow but it would allow us to roll through fire and acid in Huttball without taking damage and make up nicely for our lack of mobility. Allow it's use when snared or rooted but not naturally break the root or snare. It may seem subtle to many but I could put it to incredible use myself.

Edited by Tamanous

Honestly I'd just like to see a greater use for roll to cover to gain distance. We could have roll to cover and roll to stand. Sure it's only 10m but if we had a directional option (simply facing) it would allow some very nice tactics.

Elevation wouldn't be something it would allow but it would allow us to roll through fire and acid in Huttball without taking damage and make up nicely for our lack of mobility. Allow it's use when snared or rooted but not naturally break the root or snare. It may seem subtle to many but I could put it to incredible use myself.

Agreed