Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ikinai
03.08.2012 , 03:18 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
When will it be on the PTS?
I'm guessing in about 2 weeks. I believe it is being pre-tested at the moment by invite.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

GeorgZoeller
03.08.2012 , 04:21 PM | #52 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
There were two separate quotes actually. The one in this thread and then this one here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...13#edit3274813

So if they are changing "all class" to the point where they are "granting everyone a free respec" just a few months into the game it makes some of us a little nervous given our experience with SWG and previous MMO's.
Well no.

Any kind of structural change we do (e.g. a skill that had 3 points now has 2 points) or if a skill changes what it does or moves to a different tier will require us to give all players in that tree a free respec. Anything else would be unfair to the player. I'm not going to start changing your character without giving you that option.

Game Update 1.2. contains the result of several months of feedback and data gathered from real player interactions with our servers. We're quite deliberate in our pace of making adjustments to classes, taking our time to see where classes are developing as players get into the game, watching new specs coming and going as the community develops counter measures against them. Game Update 1.2 is an opportunity for us to roll out greater changes and big picture improvements or rebalances.

The changes made to most classes are more evolutionary adjustments or quality of life upgrades along with balance improvements (up and down). Still, we won't be the arbiter of whether a change makes a skill worthwhile or no longer worthwhile for your build, you can make that decision for yourself, hence the free respec.

Duncker
03.08.2012 , 06:33 PM | #53
I'll believe it when I see it.

Unsubbed.

Wardoomed
03.08.2012 , 07:40 PM | #54
Change is so scary...

hargrave
03.08.2012 , 11:03 PM | #55
you mean thier might be a time where there isnt 98% of players are cons/inq ? say it aint so lol. Guess well be seeing the new fotm come patch haha

deags
03.08.2012 , 11:15 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by hargrave View Post
you mean thier might be a time where there isnt 98% of players are cons/inq ? say it aint so lol. Guess well be seeing the new fotm come patch haha
To be fair the cons/inqs break down into healer, ranged dps, mele dps and tank so with offering 4 different play styles under the 1 class start point was always going to mean there would be a lot of them.

It doesn't really have to with any balancing issues.
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

Coldin
03.08.2012 , 11:18 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Well no.

Any kind of structural change we do (e.g. a skill that had 3 points now has 2 points) or if a skill changes what it does or moves to a different tier will require us to give all players in that tree a free respec. Anything else would be unfair to the player. I'm not going to start changing your character without giving you that option.

Game Update 1.2. contains the result of several months of feedback and data gathered from real player interactions with our servers. We're quite deliberate in our pace of making adjustments to classes, taking our time to see where classes are developing as players get into the game, watching new specs coming and going as the community develops counter measures against them. Game Update 1.2 is an opportunity for us to roll out greater changes and big picture improvements or rebalances.

The changes made to most classes are more evolutionary adjustments or quality of life upgrades along with balance improvements (up and down). Still, we won't be the arbiter of whether a change makes a skill worthwhile or no longer worthwhile for your build, you can make that decision for yourself, hence the free respec.
Some example of what these change might entail would go a long way to knowing exactly how "evolutionary" these changes are. Especially after the 1.1 nerf to Scoundrel/Operative DPS, some of us are concerned our feedback isn't/wasn't being heard. Those changes felt very much reactionary, rather than carefully planned.

Edit: What's with Dev Posts showing up much later than when they actually get posted?

Coldin
03.08.2012 , 11:25 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by deags View Post
To be fair the cons/inqs break down into healer, ranged dps, mele dps and tank so with offering 4 different play styles under the 1 class start point was always going to mean there would be a lot of them.

It doesn't really have to with any balancing issues.
Well...it does and it doesn't. Can't look at one part and say "Oh it's fine", nor can we look at one part and say "There's a problem." However, we can look at the skill sets of all the classes, and make some comparisons. We can also compare one DPS to another DPS, like Assassin to Operative.

Smugglers break down into Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer. That's only one less role, but yet instead of seeing a 3:4 ratio between Smugglers and Consular, we're seeing nearly 2:1. You can blame Iconic Status for this, but if you ask me, Han Solo is just as iconic as....was there any notable Consulars in the movies?

I wonder if I should cross my fingers for 1.2 on the PTS tomorrow.

Bbizzle
03.08.2012 , 11:52 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
Well...it does and it doesn't. Can't look at one part and say "Oh it's fine", nor can we look at one part and say "There's a problem." However, we can look at the skill sets of all the classes, and make some comparisons. We can also compare one DPS to another DPS, like Assassin to Operative.

Smugglers break down into Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Healer. That's only one less role, but yet instead of seeing a 3:4 ratio between Smugglers and Consular, we're seeing nearly 2:1. You can blame Iconic Status for this, but if you ask me, Han Solo is just as iconic as....was there any notable Consulars in the movies?

I wonder if I should cross my fingers for 1.2 on the PTS tomorrow.
han solo can be as iconic as you want him to be, people want to use a lightsaber, and its really that simple for some people.

Plus, I understand some people are having issues with the scoundrel and op DPS specs, But I group with some legit ones daily and they absolutely wreck people. Every class has shortcomings. Hell My assualt specced troopers ammo management is horrid compared to other classes AP management. But you have to look at your classes good points and weigh with the bad. Scoundrel and ops are still extremely strong classes. At least in pvp they are. They were absolutely rediculous before. Everyone knows it. Some people were just having success on them, those people were bad. The good ones were popping out of stealth and killing 2 people in 15 seconds. One of them could have been a tank, didnt matter. I saw people opening for 9k.

If people are having to spec to counter your class, your class is a problem. On my sage I put 2 points into the bubble bursting mezzes for 3 seconds for one reason, Stealth pops. Because I know if I dont have that. Your class is specifically designed to kill me. Rock to Scissors.

I know people go into a rogue thinking, I can just run around by myself and kill people with my burst. My class is designed to do that. Wrong. This games PVP is very team oriented. Before none of you had to focus fire to have success in pvp. Now youre like every other class who has to jump on same targets and be opportunist in order to kill organized people in pvp.

hargrave
03.09.2012 , 12:04 AM | #60
i tell you one thing cons/inq both need a serious nerf or they need to have to choose between dps/heals i have a 50 inq and its for pve i brought it one time into a wz and i will never pvp with that toon again i got an insane amount of kills and it was impossible me for to die lol. I was gonna delete but kin said no to keep and trait for pve which i was doing but after playing that thing in a wz lolz no one can be serious about thinking thier good playing a con/inq both sides of that class are HUGELY op. I wish the ladder system or board was up to see what classes are played the most seeing as 98% of the players are inq/con lolz.

No class on either side should be able to heal and dps at the same time like both sides do. Lighting/rocks need a 5% or so dmg reduction tbh the lighting needs more then 5% reduction