Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Consistent crashing to desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tirvaak
01.11.2012 , 11:02 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi guys,

For those of you that have encountered consistent crashing to desktop during your game play, please reply to this thread with the following information:
  1. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
  2. Your DXDiag in Spoiler tags
  3. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
  4. Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.

In an effort to keep your data organized and easy to read, please respond to the questions above in the same format!
Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Yvin
03.07.2012 , 09:11 PM | #2
Hey everyone!

At the request of Customer Service, we have rerolled this thread, since the previous version exceeded 1,000 posts.

If you are still having issues with crashing to desktop, please post your dxdiag and then wrap it in spoiler tags. You may do this by putting
[spoiler] at the beginning of your text and [/spoiler] at the end! Your result will look like this:

Spoiler

Thank you everyone for continuing to work together as an outstanding community while we narrow down this issue!

dquenell
03.07.2012 , 09:26 PM | #3
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? After 10-15 minutes in game.

Spoiler

Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Crash occurs while in war zones and while standing in the Imperial Fleet.

Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select. This is a crash to desktop.

Tautha
03.08.2012 , 08:43 AM | #4
I don't see any point in posting my directX report - you have 3 from me already

As before, the screen freezes, a few seconds later it crashes to desktop showing a windows error window to submit a report (displayed in 8 bit colour 640x480 pixels, and then the signal to the monitor stops completely. The only way to continue is to force a reboot or the computer.

There is no consistency in the event happening. It happens in combat, it happens in cities, it happens in jungles, it happens in temples. It happens when grouped, it happens when solo. It happens at vendors, it happens changing zones, it happens standing still, it happens running.

Since I have to force a reboot every time this occurs (and it occurs a lot) my registry has errors. As I don't seem to be able to repair them, It will probably result in a system restore. At the moment, SWTOR acts more like a virus than entertainment. If I DO have to do a full restore, how dumb would I have to be to install a program that corrupted my operating system in the first place?

I really want to play this game, but like many others I am coming to the conclusion that it simply isn't worth the stress. You have given no indication that you are even looking for a solution, let alone some reassurance or an apology. For a company that has been around as long as you have, you don't seem to learned much about customer service.

WILL YOU PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE US SOME FEEDBACK?
Life isn't complicated - people complicate life!

Fayzer
03.08.2012 , 02:25 PM | #5
ctd during random times in game,has happened to me during game playfor example
1. while attacking npc's in hutta
2. After speaking with a quest
3. during a cut scene for bounty hunter

gpu temps not exceeding 60* C

Spoiler

renegadeimp
03.08.2012 , 02:29 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Fayzer View Post
ctd during random times in game, gpu temps not exceeding 60* C

Spoiler
Try updating your sound drivers.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Scary
03.08.2012 , 03:02 PM | #7
I just built a new system and i'm getting this CTD issue. I feel like it might be the video drivers or my memory, just not sure, Skyrim and Fable 3 seem to crash out too. I can play about 5-10 minutes then it crashes out to desktop with no errors:

System spec:
Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard
AMD FX-8120 8 core Proc
16 gigs Patriot ram, DDR3 1600
EVGA 560TI 1024 card
Dual Corsiar force 3 180 gig SSD drives
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Latest windows updates done.

According to the thermal sensors the system still runs cool at under 45C. I will try rolling back the video drivers since im running the 295.73 version posted on 2-21-12.

The old system it runs just fine, just takes 8-12 minutes to load.

Shamoth-
03.08.2012 , 04:23 PM | #8
For me ctd started after patch/install launcher and "Main Assets 32" few days ago.
Since that time i cant play longer than 10min because game just freezes and closes or generates aprcrash error. It happens in all situations except while standing still... even walking can cause crash.
I have no idea what have You guys messed up but surelly You did, since i havent changed anything in my PC for a month or so since last GPU drivers update...
I just wonder, does affected acounts get time expansion?

Urbanator
03.08.2012 , 09:57 PM | #9
CTD anywhere from a couple minutes in to the game, to a couple hours.
Very intermittent.
Nothing is running overclocked, all drivers are updated.
Have tried running older drivers, but no change.

Issue seems to have started happening sometime in early February or late Januarty after a patch. Before then I'd never CTD.

Have reinstalled OS.
Reinstalled game on different HDDs.
Changed out RAM.
Changed out CPU.
Changed out GPU (ATI 4850 1GB to ATI 6970 2GB)

Sometimes get BSOD with dxdiag error, other times it's a memory error (but this happens with both sets of RAM and both CPUs)

Possible it could be the Motherboard, though miniscule.

As for when the CTDs occur, it can be just about any time, even when not moving my character.

Spoiler

nerfling
03.09.2012 , 04:29 PM | #10
Frequency of crashing: anywhere from every 20 minutes to once in four hours.

Crash triggers: often happens when zoning or entering an area with many more objects (eg: running down the trail from the Gnarls to the Jedi Temple on Tython). Also happens when standing around doing nothing.

Confirm CTD: these are crashes to desktop without errors.

DXdiag
Spoiler

Crash.json
Spoiler

See additional posts for additional logs. They're too large to fit in one post.