Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware: A question for the devs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware: A question for the devs
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

karnyboy
03.07.2012 , 06:15 PM | #1
Is there any plan to implement a 64-bit client for SWTOR?

additionally is there any plan to implement a client that takes advantage of 4-8 core cpu's?

Any info would be nice, I'm not looking for promises, a simple it's something we may look into for the future is better than no answer at all.

GeorgZoeller
03.07.2012 , 06:57 PM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by karnyboy View Post
Is there any plan to implement a 64-bit client for SWTOR?

additionally is there any plan to implement a client that takes advantage of 4-8 core cpu's?

Any info would be nice, I'm not looking for promises, a simple it's something we may look into for the future is better than no answer at all.
The game client already takes advantage of any cores you throw at it.

We currently don't have plans for a 64 bit client. There are few advantages to that and a lot of disadvantages (like having to test the entire game with multiple client builds and having to chase down 64 bit versions for any middleware used in the game). Very few games offer native 64 bit clients for that reason.

microbolt
03.08.2012 , 12:04 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
The game already client takes advantage of any cores you throw at it.
What about on the planet loading screens? SWTOR only uses one core (SWTOR is pegged out at 25% during load screen which is only 1 of the 4 cores in my machine) when its stuck at 30%ish on the loading screen. I'm assuming that its extracting out the resources for that zone. Is there anyway to have SWTOR extract all that out ahead of time (I don't mind the extra used disk space) Or make it multi-threaded? I always dread going to another planet because of the load time.

Not a huge deal but it makes it where you almost have to be on Fleet if you want to PvP because the fleet loads MUCH quicker than any other planet.

ArmoredJuneBug
03.08.2012 , 01:41 PM | #4
[color=#f9d648]We currently don't have plans for a 64 bit client. There are few advantages to that and a lot of disadvantages (like having to test the entire game with multiple client builds and having to chase down 64 bit versions for any middleware used in the game).
Do you have any statistics regarding how large a percentage of the player population are using machines incapable of running 64-bit software?

It'd be interesting to know, since I consider the lack of a 64-bit client a serious drawback in this time and age.

I absolutely understand the reasoning for not putting out such a client though, and I put the blame squarely on Microsoft for allowing 32-bit software to remain unchanged within the modern ecosystem.

On another note, have you you made any performance projections for what moving to a 64-bit architecture would do?

At the least it'd mean moving from 3GB to 4GB of addressable memory, though 8GB or more is certainly the norm for fairly new rigs. More importantly, it'd double both the width and number of general registers available to the compiler.

I could see potentially massive performance gains there, especially where there are current bottlenecks, but it'd be nice to know if you have any real numbers to cite?

On a similar note, any plans regarding DX 11?

My understanding is that native DX 11 client would allow for better performance using the same hardware, assuming the latter is compatible of course.

I do believe a lesser number of players have computers that are DX 11-enabled than they have ones which support 64-bit software at this point though. It's just a fairly obvious migration path.

MPagano
03.08.2012 , 01:43 PM | #5

We currently don't have plans for a 64 bit client. There are few advantages to that and a lot of disadvantages (like having to test the entire game with multiple client builds and having to chase down 64 bit versions for any middleware used in the game). Very few games offer native 64 bit clients for that reason.
"We can't get it right with 32-bit, so we can't justify a 64-bit version"

Fatbaldandalone
03.08.2012 , 02:03 PM | #6
No,

I spent since launch running the game on an 8 core 2.8 xeon (heaps of ram, ssd, 560ti, win 7 x64, aero off, xp3 compatibility checked, etc, etc, etc). Always with cpu and gpu usage meters up on an extra screen. The game never utilized all 8 cores.

Typically in large illum fights my fps would be 4-8 fps with the utilization meters sitting <25% for both cpu and gpu. Never in those instances would one individual core be maxed.

I just put together an i5 with the 560ti and with barely a bump in clock speed and 4 less cores it runs the game much better.

The game mutithreads sure, but it certainly wasn't effectively utilizing more than a couple cores.
Iron citadel
Hans- Bad sage
Windbag- Worse vanguard
Sizequeen- orphaned, abandoned and molested.

OmegaMayhem
03.08.2012 , 02:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MPagano View Post
"We can't get it right with 32-bit, so we can't justify a 64-bit version"

Oh, please explain why you said this. Please enlighten them on how to overcome the problems.

porpisehork
03.08.2012 , 02:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Fatbaldandalone View Post
No,

I spent since launch running the game on an 8 core 2.8 xeon (heaps of ram, ssd, 560ti, win 7 x64, aero off, xp3 compatibility checked, etc, etc, etc). Always with cpu and gpu usage meters up on an extra screen. The game never utilized all 8 cores.
The same thing happens on the 1st gen i7's. I'm running a 960 @ 4.2GHz and the game regularly runs at most 25% cpu usage even when in heavy pvp situations. my gtx 580 will hit 65-80% gpu but rarely gets any higer than that.

Fatbaldandalone
03.08.2012 , 02:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by porpisehork View Post
The same thing happens on the 1st gen i7's. I'm running a 960 @ 4.2GHz and the game regularly runs at most 25% cpu usage even when in heavy pvp situations. my gtx 580 will hit 65-80% gpu but rarely gets any higer than that.

Try setting the affinity in task manager to one individual core for each of the two game processes.

I saw no noticeable loss in performance when doing so. >2 thread lol.
Iron citadel
Hans- Bad sage
Windbag- Worse vanguard
Sizequeen- orphaned, abandoned and molested.

OldBenSmokin
03.08.2012 , 02:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaMayhem View Post
Oh, please explain why you said this. Please enlighten them on how to overcome the problems.
Like I said, nothing but Pom Poms.