Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The fastest way to gain Legacy is.....to not play alts?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The fastest way to gain Legacy is.....to not play alts?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vecke
03.07.2012 , 04:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Havokk View Post
I am pretty sure this is not the case. Legacy XP is scaled according to the level of the character. Lower level characters earn less XP so the legacy is scaled up. The idea is that an hour playing any character gets the same amount of legacy XP.

I'm sure I read it here on this forum but my Google-fu is weak today.
I think you're correct. I've now spoken to a few players that have tested this, and your explanation appears to be the case.

which kind of completely invalidates the point of the OP.
"I know."

Jamus_Divinus
03.07.2012 , 04:58 PM | #22
I am pretty sure this is not the case. Legacy XP is scaled according to the level of the character. Lower level characters earn less XP so the legacy is scaled up. The idea is that an hour playing any character gets the same amount of legacy XP.

Not true mate. It's a rumor you must have read somewhere but it isn't true.

My BH is lvl 23 right now. Today I spent 1 hour and finished 6 quests. Total Legacy Xp was 9950 for the quests, 1200 for the kills involved.

My SI spent 1hr doing dailies and got 33,500 legacy XP. Didn't even bother adding up the XP from the kills involved.

If you don't believe me simply check your own toons. Legacy XP is linked to XP. XP is linked to the level. The conversion stays roughly the same form lvl 1 to lvl 50. Try it out, I just did.

EDIT: Took out my calculator.../drumroll...

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 23 is 0.231
Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 50 is 0.229
Difference in Conversion rate between lvl 23 and 50 is 0.002

Conclusion: Conversion is very similar but lvl 50 quests give out more XP and so levelling up legacy levels via lvl 50 quests is much, much quicker than trying to do so with lvl 23 quests.

This was by comparing legacy xp rewards from quest completions (lvl 23 ones and dailies from lvl 50). Hope that helps.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
200,000,000+ Mounts:192/206 Pets:170/178
Achievement points:26700 Ships mastered: 21/24

Colyer
03.07.2012 , 05:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
I get that but it seems odd that the people that have the least interest in playing alts will have access to the most features for their alts.
Thus increasing the likelihood they'll cave and make alts.

Equally, a player with a garden of alts but no main (me) will feel the pressure to focus on a character and shelf their alts so as to be ready for the Legacy drop and have the bonuses for later.

And lastly, not all of the Legacy bonuses are alt related. Sure they unlock for your alts, but do you think a Main character only player would say no to a ship mailbox and GTN Terminal? Nope.

Vecke
03.07.2012 , 05:13 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Jamus_Divinus View Post
Not true mate. It's a rumor you must have read somewhere but it isn't true.

My BH is lvl 23 right now. Today I spent 1 hour and finished 6 quests. Total Legacy Xp was 9950 for the quests, 1200 for the kills involved.

My SI spent 1hr doing dailies and got 33,500 legacy XP. Didn't even bother adding up the XP from the kills involved.

If you don't believe me simply check your own toons. Legacy XP is linked to XP. XP is linked to the level. The conversion stays roughly the same form lvl 1 to lvl 50. Try it out, I just did.

EDIT: Took out my calculator.../drumroll...

Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 23 is 0.231
Legacy Conversion rate for a lvl 50 is 0.229
Difference in Conversion rate between lvl 23 and 50 is 0.002

Conclusion: Conversion is very similar but lvl 50 quests give out more XP and so levelling up legacy levels via lvl 50 quests is much, much quicker than trying to do so with lvl 23 quests.

This was by comparing legacy xp rewards from quest completions (lvl 23 ones and dailies from lvl 50). Hope that helps.
This is interesting, because I've spoken to two different people (one on the forums and one in-game) that have had very different results, but their results were in regards to actual Legacy levels, not xp gains.

According to these people (which, to be fair, I didn't test myself), they've tested with guildies and say that a player who levels two characters to 50 ends up 5 to 7 Legacy levels higher than someone that keeps one character at 50 who grinds legacy with that one character over the same amount of time.

Edit: could it be that the scaling isn't in regards to how much xp is gain, but instead in regards to how much xp is required to reach a new level? For example, it takes less xp to level Legacy using an alt than it does using a level 50...

Just thinkin' out loud here... dev clarification would be nice.
"I know."

Kabaal
03.07.2012 , 05:18 PM | #25
Currently at lvl 30 legacy xp and it comes in much much faster leveling alts than it does at 50 for me. No standing around waiting for queues to pop or other people to get organised. I'm sure if all i did was lvl 50 dailies all day long it would be the same or faster but that's not the reality for me.
Kabaal 50 Juggernaut | Scotsmania 50 Vanguard | Hurricane 50 Sorcerer
Furian 50 Sentinel | Furķan 50 Commando
Scotsmania 50 Shadow

Rafkin
03.07.2012 , 05:31 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by GeoLager View Post
Because as it turns out, doing 100 quests on a lowbie is far greater legacy experience than doing a handful of dalies on my main.
As it turns out..thats completly wrong.

I just did all the dailies, minus the bugged Defend the Shipment, and got 79,147 legacy xp points. Took almost 2 hours.

Then I went and did a Heroic 4 on my level 19 and he got 2385 Legacy XP. So you'd have to do almost 40 four man heroics on a level 20ish toon to get what a level 50 can do in 2 hours solo.

Kthx
03.07.2012 , 05:33 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
Biowares endgame seems to be rerolling alts for the story, it would give alot more incentive if you got more legacy points from rolling alts instead playing your 50 character.
Your premise is false. If you put away your biases and negate your premise, then it makes sense.

Rafkin
03.07.2012 , 05:35 PM | #28

I did notice that my lower levels get more Legacy XP from killing mobs than my level 50 does. A lot more actually.

But the Legacy xp from quest turn-ins is much, much higher on my level 50.

Holinyx
03.07.2012 , 05:56 PM | #29
imagine you do the Dailys with your main and 7 alts. imagine you have 8, lvl 50 characters.

example: rough estimate of Belsavis/Ilum dailys.

1 main character = 200,000 legacy xp in a day.

8 characters = 1,600,000 legacy xp in a day.

Now do you understand why playing alts gives you more legacy xp?

With alts, i am Legacy level 29 atm. where are you?
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

oMGitsree
03.07.2012 , 06:11 PM | #30
I thought legacy capped at 25...