Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Darth title in french? (Ref. 1.1.5 general/classes)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Darth title in french? (Ref. 1.1.5 general/classes)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bleedo
03.06.2012 , 07:12 AM | #1
I'm very curious about this part of the 1.1.5 patch:

Sith Warrior
•The French version of the "Darth" title is now correct.

According to Wookiepedia, the Darth title has no definite meaning:

Quote:
But the origins of the word are uncertain. It is often thought that "Darth" is merely a contraction of the title "Dark Lord of the Sith", but there are theories that suggest a deeper interpretation.

Possible Origins

Some historians suggest that "Darth" is actually a corruption of the Rakatan word Daritha, meaning "emperor". Others note another Rakatan connection: the words for "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is darr, and the word for "death" is tah, leading to the theory that "Darth" is derived from darr tah and therefore means "triumph over death" or "immortal".
Did they go with the Rakatan meaning of the word, thereby translating "Triump over Death", or what?

Triomphesurlamort Vader
Vaincrelamort Vader

etc..

I must say I'd like Darth Vader and Darth Maul better even if I was french.

Seb_Sb
03.06.2012 , 12:03 PM | #2
In the original saga, Darth was translated to Dark in French. I grew up with Dark Vador, not Darth Vader. Back then, the cannon was nowhere as developped as it is today, and, especially for pronounciation purposes, the name of the character was slightly modified.

So yea... in French, Darth = Dark because they are Dark lords of the Sith... which seems to be the most logical cannon-wise answer to give regarding that issue. And even in the prequels, the title "Dark" was used (Dark Maul, Dark Sidious).

But I do not own the French version of the game, but that's what I believe it is based on my own childhood!
# books in personal library: 800+
# Star Wars books in personal library: 400+
Don't you just love pointless stats?

bleedo
03.07.2012 , 12:06 PM | #3
Wow, facts and all.
Actually nice to possess that piece of trivia.

Thanks!

(even though I was trying to do some satire - and speaking of - I don't suppose Dark is pronounced Dork in french? )

SnapWolf
03.07.2012 , 01:17 PM | #4
No, it's pronounced Dark.

Don't worry, we keep english pronounciation intact.

But I was always ticked at the french translation anyway...

You know how the droids get some literal pronunciations how their names? Like Artoo or Forex...

I remember reading some version of the Return of the Jedi in french... the literal pronunciation of Artoo was horrible. It sounded like "Hairdeu". "Hairtwo"? Two hairs? Da hell?
As Gandhi would say :

"Everyone is entitled to his own viewpoint, but it is not impossible that everyone might be wrong."

bleedo
03.07.2012 , 04:54 PM | #5
I think R2 in norwegian is named the same as a demon in The Legend of Drizzt, so we're square there. "Errto". (Demon is Errtu to be fair I think)

adogwood
03.07.2012 , 05:43 PM | #6
Spoiler

Jamus_Divinus
03.07.2012 , 05:47 PM | #7
In italian back in '77 Darth Vader was known as 'Dart Fener'.

...and still is today!

/cry
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
200,000,000+ Mounts:192/206 Pets:170/178
Achievement points:26700 Ships mastered: 21/24

efylinx
03.07.2012 , 05:49 PM | #8
Having read a Star Wars novel in French, Darth is normally translated to "Dark" (i.e. Darth Vader in French is "Dark Vador"). As funny as it may seem, the French title is even more English

ChrisCollins
03.07.2012 , 05:57 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by adogwood View Post
Spoiler
Adogwood is correct. The title was changed to "Dark", the traditionally used translation of "Darth". I say translation, you're right, there is no direct meaning, but the word "Dark" has been used traditionally since the original trilogy was put out in French speaking countries.

bo-zo
03.08.2012 , 01:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post
Adogwood is correct. The title was changed to "Dark", the traditionally used translation of "Darth". I say translation, you're right, there is no direct meaning, but the word "Dark" has been used traditionally since the original trilogy was put out in French speaking countries.
Unfortunately, yes, that's one of the most ridiculous translations we have to live with. Vader to Vador, I can understand, as this change actually brings the French pronunciation closest to the original name. But "Dark" ... ah, well, at least I get to play the game in English