Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthKhaos's Avatar


DarthKhaos
03.07.2012 , 05:44 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by Snoodmaster View Post
I would like to point out that the game CURRENTLY has a system basically identical to this. You flag yourself LFG and type your role in the comment and the list itself shows ur class and level. Heck you can even kinda say what u want to group for. But nobody uses it.

The problem is that once you look into lfg and see the 8 dps and no healer or tank, people tend to get very discouraged about it. And unless you sit there and refresh it constantly (essentially manually updating the queue) you are likely to miss someone who just logs on, flags himself for a few minutes, then logs off.
This is not a problem with the system but people. Just as they would be in queue waiting for a healer they could invite the people and wait for a healer to join but they don't want to do that do they?
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
03.07.2012 , 05:44 PM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by malangus View Post
My experience leveling a couple of both ally and horde on both pve/pvp servers. World is dead, the amount of people you found, you can really count them on one hand.
I was leveling an alt when they added it... The world was just as dead before as after; in fact, I ran into significantly more people in the world right after they added lfd while leveling (and continued to see more people at the level cap at the daily hubs)

Quote:
What... what.... have you played any of them at all?????
Yes. It's not actually possible to ninja loot in either game.

it's possible to roll need on things that other people think you shouldn't, but that's not ninjalooting.

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
03.07.2012 , 05:46 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Snoodmaster View Post
I would like to point out that the game CURRENTLY has a system basically identical to this. You flag yourself LFG and type your role in the comment and the list itself shows ur class and level. Heck you can even kinda say what u want to group for. But nobody uses it.
yeah, wow had it before lfd. It was useless.

EQ had it before wow existed: it was useless there too. If you wanted to pug a group you went to the zone you wanted a group in and spammed ooc for it, or spammed in the game hubs like PoK.

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
03.07.2012 , 05:47 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthKhaos View Post
This is not a problem with the system but people. Just as they would be in queue waiting for a healer they could invite the people and wait for a healer to join but they don't want to do that do they?
they do that. and then sit in fleet spamming for 2+ hours. I watch people do it on a regular basis.

Galjoss's Avatar


Galjoss
03.07.2012 , 06:09 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
The fact that the groups form faster also speeds up the wait times for dps as well; they just don't wind up with instant queues.
I havn't really got the time or inclination to prove it but intuitively it would seem to me that if you have a situation where a there is a shortage of one role then increasing the player pool would both increase the size of the queue and the rate that group's are formed by the same amount, meaning the average wait times wouldnt change. Also intuitively but not worked out I'd expect increased rate of groups forming would lower the variance in wait times which can only be a good thing

That would only apply when groups are ready to go as soon as the indemand class turns up, in situation's where you don't have that critical mass you would expect the averages to be higher for all roles as when there is no actual queue you could be waiting for anyone

I'm not against x-server lfg but some of the critisism's of it are justified, if the required critical mass cant be reached on a single server then its right to implement a x-server solution, I'd quiet like to see one that prioritises same server matches before looking out to other servers to fill the empty roles

GeorgZoeller's Avatar


GeorgZoeller
03.07.2012 , 06:40 PM | #196 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by MUFanatic View Post
I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.
The Group Finder feature we've discussed for the near future is definitely single-server only.

Suromir's Avatar


Suromir
03.07.2012 , 06:57 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Galjoss View Post
I havn't really got the time or inclination to prove it but intuitively it would seem to me that if you have a situation where a there is a shortage of one role then increasing the player pool would both increase the size of the queue and the rate that group's are formed by the same amount, meaning the average wait times wouldnt change. Also intuitively but not worked out I'd expect increased rate of groups forming would lower the variance in wait times which can only be a good thing

That would only apply when groups are ready to go as soon as the indemand class turns up, in situation's where you don't have that critical mass you would expect the averages to be higher for all roles as when there is no actual queue you could be waiting for anyone

I'm not against x-server lfg but some of the critisism's of it are justified, if the required critical mass cant be reached on a single server then its right to implement a x-server solution, I'd quiet like to see one that prioritises same server matches before looking out to other servers to fill the empty roles
Wrong. It drastically speeds it up because there are more people in queue than would be LFG without. A lot of people, msyelf included, do not want to sit and spam LFG while doing NOTHING.

hence groups form faster because people that otherwise wouldn't be sitting around doing NOTHING but waiting are now doing other things while queue'd up.

you're wrong. fact.

we need a cross-server LFG tool. not raid tool, raids should stay as they are. If I have to explain why than I can't help you.

kurruptor's Avatar


kurruptor
03.07.2012 , 07:10 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by Yakito View Post
Because almost every person giving an argument for LFG says he's a busy person with a family, he pays so he WANTS to have things handed to him, does it matter that it's an MMO and the nature of it is actually socializing?
I am a parent who wants LFG, you're right about that. But the rest of what you say is kind of pointless.

What in the world does this have to do with anything being "handed" to me?

I invite you to roll a character on the server Thana Vesh. Then go to the Republic Fleet for a night. I would like you to witness the general chat there.

[Oh and don't tell me to roll on another server]

It is near impossible to get a FP group going. I've never seen more than 60 something people on the fleet ever. It is rarely that high either.

I could sit there for hours trying to find a specific FP that I need to run. So, yes, I do think that I am a paying customer and I shouldn't have to sit and spam "LFG Directive 7" for hours on end to do things within the game.

DarthKhaos's Avatar


DarthKhaos
03.07.2012 , 07:23 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
they do that. and then sit in fleet spamming for 2+ hours. I watch people do it on a regular basis.
You clearly did not read what I said and clipping out what you need to TRY to prove a feeble point.
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

Antipathize's Avatar


Antipathize
03.07.2012 , 08:09 PM | #200
To those saying that the tool isn't responsible for player's actions need to study psychology a little.

Removing the sense of community will reduce perceived and real consequences for going against the norm. Go to 4chan and see how anonymity makes their community. While you wouldn't be anonymous, the odds of people remembering you, or your rudeness having an effect on your way of life is minimal to non existant, so it's nearly the same.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deindividuation

I do not support cross server lfg, but support same server.