Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightsaber Design Problems

Kanharn
03.07.2012 , 06:23 AM | #11
Hence the reason its called Sci-fi, its not real lol.
Leader of The Alliance Union, Pre-launch Guild, Bloodworthy EU.

wrong_turn
03.07.2012 , 10:52 AM | #12
Thats not a flaw in the design. Swordsman and gunman have worn their weapons on the opposite hip for nearly as long as these weapons have existed. The only thing I can see to make it more accessible is if the saber hilt was turned at an angle and more a little more toward the center of their belt. That way the handle might be better oriented and the user might not have to reach so far across their body. Besides not all saber users carry their weapons the same way. Ventress for example wears hers behind her back, which I am surprised more Jedi/Sith don't do.
ịị◚◚◚◚ịịịị7▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀) A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. -Master Yoda CE

ReaperBow
03.07.2012 , 03:36 PM | #13
Adding to this lovely discussion: Aren't lightsabers powered by the force? which would explain why whenever you see a jedi/sith defeated his/her lightsaber always sheaths. So really there is no chance of it going off while on you belt.

(someone may have said this, didn't read all the posts)

Wolfninjajedi
03.07.2012 , 03:41 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ReaperBow View Post
Adding to this lovely discussion: Aren't lightsabers powered by the force? which would explain why whenever you see a jedi/sith defeated his/her lightsaber always sheaths. So really there is no chance of it going off while on you belt.

No, some are though but most have buttons. Otherwise Han wouldn't have been able to use Luke's saber to cut open the tauntaun on hoth.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Bejarid
03.07.2012 , 04:02 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ReaperBow View Post

Incorrect. Virtually all lightsabers have a button, switch, or activation stud; however, they are almost always hung from the belt in such a way that the activator is less likely to be bumped to the "on" position. As to the second point about deactivation on death of the wielder, my theory is that most lightsabers require constant pressure on their activator to maintain the blade, or have a mechanism to "lock" the blade - for example, when the weapon is to be thrown.
Aurrn (Commando DPS) Bejarid (Sentinel) Ordhen (Shadow Tank)
<Republic Honor Guard> of The Ebon Hawk

lokivoid
03.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TeH-DeVa View Post
Lightsabers are weightless on the blades and the hilts are basically weightless also.
The hilts are not weightless infact they have quite a bit of weight (the old Graflex flashgun's used for orginal lightsabers for example weighted a good bit, even more so after the extra cosmetics, The newer sabers weighed even more due to being machined from solid aluminum and steel.)

When active the blade it self is weightless but does have alot of inertia resistance due to the blades containment ie a gyroscopic effect (this was used to explain the weight of the metal rods used as the blade during filming, that was later retroscoped during production with the glowing blade)

Freshtech
03.07.2012 , 11:00 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MORTTUUM View Post
A right-handed Jedi (or Sith) using a single Sabre should carry it on the Right hip, but draw with the Left hand. REAL Swordsmen always wear their blade on the opposite hip, and draw across the body, but that's primarily for one-handed weapons. If you're going to use both hands, you'd draw with the off-hand, and leave the upper section of the hilt open to great your main hand as they come together, and you "ignite" it with your main hand. Also, note that the animations for the Marauder and Sentinel show them cross-drawing both blades.
I'm not totally sure I understand your post, but I have considered drawing with the off-hand and then placing the dominant hand on top. However, it would be hard to quickly attack or defend by doing this, whereas if you only used one hand to draw, you could attack/defend in the same motion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bejarid View Post
Incorrect. Virtually all lightsabers have a button, switch, or activation stud; however, they are almost always hung from the belt in such a way that the activator is less likely to be bumped to the "on" position. As to the second point about deactivation on death of the wielder, my theory is that most lightsabers require constant pressure on their activator to maintain the blade, or have a mechanism to "lock" the blade - for example, when the weapon is to be thrown.
I think having a locking mechanism would be useful, though it would mean one extra step when turning the lightsaber on/off. I personally wouldnt want to keep constant pressure on a button the whole time though. One idea I've had is to get rid of buttons altogether. Given the fact that Jedi are able to activate their lightsabers with the Force, they dont really need a physical external button to use them. Perhaps they could have an internal button that they could trigger with the Force when they need to, thus solving the problem of accessibility.
S'yrenity - Mandalore the Healer

Empress Teta Refugee on The Harbinger

deneric
03.07.2012 , 11:18 PM | #18
So ... your problem with the lightsaber isn't that it's some miraculous tube that creates a concentrated beam of light that only goes so far and requires practically NO power. Seriously, a couple double a batteries and you're set for like, a decade. No, instead, your problem with it is the belt.

Good sir, I mean this is in the friendliest, least cruel way I possibly can; That is *********** hilarious.
SWG (PRE-CU) Kettemoor Veteran!

Silthir
03.08.2012 , 12:01 AM | #19
I don't really understand the point of this discussion, being that Lightsabers don't even exist. You know Sci-Fi can make up whatever the hell rules they want to... sci-fi can defy gravity (god that made me want to sing Defying Gravity from Wicked...).

Russkiier
03.08.2012 , 12:04 AM | #20
this post is awesome and i look forward to the continued discussion

my 2 cents, just because it seems awkward or unweildly doesn't make it so. years of practice could make the most ludicrous motion seem fluid and simple