Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Xalek as a tank?

kelistormoris
03.03.2012 , 10:17 AM | #21
I have used Xalek since lvl 34, had no reason to not do so mind you. He was equpped with lvl 45ish gear and so totally outgeared everything I fought whilst leveling. Just upgrading bits and pieces of his gear as I went along, some crafted armour and some handed down customisable armour that upgrade when not doing my own.

Even as a dps spec Sorc I could keep him alive with my heals and shielding between fighting. Pretty much was just a case of popping a shield, recklessness, 2 crit heals, back to fighting.

(note: I had Xalek at lvl 34, that is not a typo. I was a Darth by lvl 36 with entire class quest completed. Shame you have to be lvl 33 at one point to continue the class quest (Think it was voss, lvl 33 quest requirement to get on planet))

Kantoro
03.03.2012 , 06:29 PM | #22
Knowing how to use her, simple.

She is a single target dps machine. As such, you need to realize that she will not hold aggro on multiple targets well, so don't ask her to. Turn off her AoE ability. So you can effectively CC the mob you want taken out of the fight. Send her to attack the mob you want her to take out 1st. As you are attacking, when she is finished, micro manager her, send her to attack the next mob you want taken out. Next, perf stance is crap, exsang is better, use it.

As a sorc, I play as a healer/support. I know which mob i will be CC'ing ahead of time. I send her in so she gets initial aggro and then CC. Since she is only using single target attacks, I assist her and heal her as necessary. If I get aggro I fade (or whatever it is called for a sorc, I am not logged in, so I don't remember) or have her break off an attack the mob attacking me. She is my dps and I am the healer.

As a 'Sin, you have considerable AoE, but no real way to round them up. I CC one on the edge of a group and send her to the other. CC'ing a ranged mob and sending her at the other ranged mob allows me to round up the melee mobs and AoE them down. I didn't mean to sound like it was rocket science, but there is a tad of strategy involved. A lot of players think that companions suck becuz they are unwilling to utilize them as an extra seet of hands, they just attack and hope their companion will do something useful with the AI provided to them.
Stupid should be painful.
Thorns shall not bar my path, I am the Thornwalker.

scorions
03.03.2012 , 07:38 PM | #23
@Kantoro: OK. That's commonsense. I thought maybe there were things that I had to do so that she can hold aggro but I guess that's b/c you are a healer. As sorc. dps, I almost immediately get aggro when I start hitting mobs.

In fact, this is why I am using Xalek more now. He is as squishy as others but holds aggro for a bunch just fine and no matter how hard I dps I do not have mobs coming all over me. I guess I understand the point of Xalek better now. He is not Kem, but he is just fine if I need an OK tank (tank = holds aggro), with some dps (I will provide the rest).

It's kinda unfortunate that we cannot really measure who is doing how much dps... Game is too young for fine-grained tools WoW provided for min/maxing

Hraken
03.04.2012 , 01:43 PM | #24
@Scorions - also, to get the best use out of Ashara, make sure she's equipped with two lightsabers instead of just one. That makes her dps sky-rocket. I find most often, the people saying she's weak only have her equipped with a single blade. -M
Master Hraken Creel (Level 50 Jedi Sage)
Darth Aerand (Level 50 Sith Sorcerer)
Cassus Creel, Hired Gun (Level 16 Powertech)

Kantoro
03.05.2012 , 06:27 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by scorions View Post
@Kantoro: OK. That's commonsense. I thought maybe there were things that I had to do so that she can hold aggro but I guess that's b/c you are a healer. As sorc. dps, I almost immediately get aggro when I start hitting mobs.

In fact, this is why I am using Xalek more now. He is as squishy as others but holds aggro for a bunch just fine and no matter how hard I dps I do not have mobs coming all over me. I guess I understand the point of Xalek better now. He is not Kem, but he is just fine if I need an OK tank (tank = holds aggro), with some dps (I will provide the rest).

It's kinda unfortunate that we cannot really measure who is doing how much dps... Game is too young for fine-grained tools WoW provided for min/maxing
You can test dps actually. I have, by hand, using a mob with 130k health and a stopwatch.

Simple put on single target Ashara (Exsang) > Ashara (perf) > Revel > Khem in dps stance > Khem in tank stance/Xalek in tank stance (they are almost identical in tank stance).

If you need numbers look up my posts, I have the actual numbers in there somewhere. Ashara is easily the best single target dps companion you have, Revel is the best AoE dps.
Stupid should be painful.
Thorns shall not bar my path, I am the Thornwalker.

underpantsgnomes
03.05.2012 , 11:48 PM | #26
I have Ashara with two good light sabres and she solos 5 lvl 50 mobs. Good enough for me.
Truth lies within.

dacentabaal
02.28.2013 , 05:54 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnTGalt View Post
Kantoro:

Your recommendations are based on what class/spec? As an assasin tank, I haven't used anyone but Talos since I got him b/c being able to survive was way more important to me than DPS that didn't get the mobs dead before I was.
Me as an Assassin Tank, I never use Talos... I use a DPS companion or one that can at least inflict damage.. my reasoning.. Im a tank.. I can take a lot, so why would I need a healer when my DPS is crap.. ill use a DPS comp instead to output the damage I cant whilst absorbing what comes at me cause thats my role.

Has anyone here actually used Xalek soley for just DPS and not tanking? been thinking about it as Ashara even in decent Rakata/Columi gear is too squiggy and not putting out enough DPS
Tamworth - England (I don't like or drink Tea)
The Progenitor RP English Server
CE Owner
Friend Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

Kindran
02.28.2013 , 04:04 PM | #28
Holy necro! how many pages back did you have to go for nearly a year? lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

DAWUSS
03.03.2013 , 11:06 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindran View Post
Holy necro! how many pages back did you have to go for nearly a year? lol
The search function can do that to a thread.

Kebthack
03.05.2013 , 03:46 PM | #30
Hey anyone noticed that Xalek is not Charging into battle .. only time that he actually does is if I physically click on the ability.