Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Questions about Guilds

haliy
03.05.2012 , 05:24 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Fercil View Post
It wasn't directed at you in any way, what you had in plans sounded very good all around. Now that you bring it up I do disagree with you on guild leader claiming ownership. Guild is what people in it make it, it's nothing without them. One or more is naturally leading it but it isn't his/theirs alone, it's everyones in the guild. Being proud of what one accomplishes and putting effort in the guild is great and needed for it to flourish but I still disagree with claiming ownership over it. This still doesn't make you sound like type I described at all, don't worry I meant seriously narcissistic people who only care of themselves and need others to boost their ego.
Ok, I see where your coming from and perhaps claiming ownership was over the top because I totally agree that a guild is nothing without the other members. Perhaps i could consider it head of household Now only if i could claim that on my taxes next year
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

Baeralas
03.05.2012 , 06:00 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Akumakazama View Post
Each day I play i become more and more upset.
This if from my point. I have not seen any different.

1. Why most guilds are "Vent/Teamspeak/etc or ****" ?
They might not say that but they act like that. I understand Vent and the like for Raids. But just for small things...or "I just don't like typing. That not my thing.
I personally have never seen a guild that has more than 50 spaces on a chat server and have found that those that do as you say ("Come chat on vent...") generally have 300+ members but only 25 spaces which are already filled up with their officers and hard core Raiders. Generally whenever I have been in a guild that says you have to come on vent to chat, I leave.

Now it's true that in our guild we do suggest that people come onto mumble or TS3 for Ops and FP's but really a person shouldn't be forced to go onto chat just to talk. If you want to good for you, but written chat should still be used.

2. Guilds that claim to be social....but are not actually social?
Some claim this one goes with #1. Ive been told that "no one read chat. That everyone's in vent. etc.
Can't agree more, it's true most guilds will advertise themselves as such but generally it's just to get attention amongst all the other spam in general. The only way to find out is to join a guild and see for yourself, generally those who don't chat in general (and I don't mean all the time, because in our guild there can be gaps of total silence as we do our things) can be pushed back into question 1, they are social amongst the top few.

When you see a guild chat that can be silent for awhile then when someone makes a comment and gets some good replies that is when you have hit the proper social guild.

3. Why did I join a guild to do things together when most want you geared already to the point you don't have to group with anyone only for raids? Ive been 50 for about 2 weeks and not once has my guild put a raid, or Hard Mode flash point run or anything together so i can join.
If it's a small guild you're in I would say give them time to get more people to 50, if it's a big guild with numerous 50's I would suggest you bye-bye and find a different guild.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fercil View Post
Guild is what people in it make it, it's nothing without them. One or more is naturally leading it but it isn't his/theirs alone, it's everyones in the guild. Being proud of what one accomplishes and putting effort in the guild is great and needed for it to flourish but I still disagree with claiming ownership over it. This still doesn't make you sound like type I described at all, don't worry I meant seriously narcissistic people who only care of themselves and need others to boost their ego.

This is a valid point, a good GM should surround himself with officers with the same outlook, and generally should consider the other members of the guild as his number 1 priority.

Of course everyone wants to finish those Nightmare mode Ops but if you don't support your guild members who exactly are you going to do nightmare modes with?

A guild is made up of more than 1 person and so as a GM you do need to consider that all the time.

It can be frustrating to put your own plans for the night on hold to help a guildmate out but in the long run it will actually benefit you.

Scorpienne
03.05.2012 , 07:27 AM | #13
In my opinion, the guild exists to enhance the experience of the players within that guild. The guild serves the players, not vice versa. My ideal guild should be asking itself, "what are we doing to make our players happy, and to improve their experience of playing this game?"

Therefore, if I was looking for a guild, I'd look for one with that attitude.

If *you're* looking for a guild, consider what you want from a guild. What it should do for you, and then see if you can find one with that same philosophy.

Paige

Cynomen
03.05.2012 , 11:47 AM | #14
Just another point, and one touched on by others, is that it should be the responsibility of the guild recruiting to be honest with those looking to come in.

Nothing worse than false advertisment. I am up front and honest about our guilds position and try to set proper expectations. This has helped us a lot in both getting people who undertsand our current state but prevents people from feeling they were lied to about this and that.

I also think that people looking to join guilds need to ask more questions to see if it really does fit them. Sure you could be lied to, but at least you did what you could to be sure it might work out or not. Should you choose to leave, you have valid reasons to do so.

One last thing, and it is not something that a lot of players put up with today, but patinece is a huge deal in MMO's. Things take some time to get started, be it a raid, some pvp, guild building. Be sure you are giving a good enough time to allow guilds to work these out before just up and leaving.

Aside from the most important key to any guild, communication, patinece and willingness to work with others make guilds great.
Empire: Jaelyx, Voxcyn, Ouiija Republic: Myya Rae, Micca Rae

Server: Harbinger Guild: Blood Bath & Beyond

nrevox
03.05.2012 , 01:56 PM | #15
this has probably already been addressed somewhere in the forums, but I haven't seen it. do you guys know of any other ways to find what guilds are on which servers, etc? besides waiting to just meet one by chance in a cave or a trail? is there a "guild search"?

Baeralas
03.05.2012 , 02:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by nrevox View Post
this has probably already been addressed somewhere in the forums, but I haven't seen it. do you guys know of any other ways to find what guilds are on which servers, etc? besides waiting to just meet one by chance in a cave or a trail? is there a "guild search"?
Only "guild search" is by searching for it through the LFG page, initially it will show players on that planet, but you can search for specific names, guild etc (even the last tab can be changed to show which guild people are in).

I hope that makes sense.

Mithros
03.05.2012 , 02:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by nrevox View Post
You can try the server group boards.

Find the board for your server of choice and see if any guilds are advertising there.

Still trial and error, though.
Someone might tell you what you want to hear, but once you join up and get in-game you might find that they are not at all what they said they were and not at all what you are looking for.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

ScarletBlaze
03.05.2012 , 02:23 PM | #18
Quote:
1. Why most guilds are "Vent/Teamspeak/etc or ****" ?
They might not say that but they act like that. I understand Vent and the like for Raids. But just for small things...or "I just don't like typing. That not my thing

Some guilds like voice some don't. If you don't then make sure the guild knows it upfront or ask them if it is a requirement to use . Using voice is usually a preferance. If it not somethng you like and they make it a requirement than politely say thank you but no thank you.

Quote:
2. Guilds that claim to be social....but are not actually social?
Some claim this one goes with #1. Ive been told that "no one read chat. That everyone's in vent. etc.
This depends on how you define social. Some guilds will talk in guild chat constantly unless they are involved in a fight or something, and that is expected. Some guilds also use guild chat for roleplay (if they are a roleplaying guild) so make sure of your interests in the social aspect and find out if they talk/roleplay in guild chat if that is something you like to do. If they don't again say no thank you.

Quote:
3. Why did I join a guild to do things together when most want you geared already to the point you don't have to group with anyone only for raids? Ive been 50 for about 2 weeks and not once has my guild put a raid, or Hard Mode flash point run or anything together so i can join.
Check and see how many are level 50 and what their schedule is. If you have very few level 50 then that's one reason for not doing hard mode flash points.

Also if there is enough level 50 to do one, then suggest one. Don't put it all on the guild leader/officers to always suggest a flashpoint. The people in the guild can also suggest one if there is not one schedule. Take a little initative and say something. Sometimes they may not know you want to do them if you don't say anything.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR