Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

off tank?

droidfood
02.28.2012 , 07:42 PM | #1
ive heard many people say that you can pull alot of dps in a dps spec but have tank gear and still have the advantages of being able to pick up adds and pick up the boss for that little extra killing if the tank where to die has anyone tried this or not?

thorizdin
02.29.2012 , 08:35 AM | #2
Frankly anyone with a defensive CD and an AoE taunt can pick up the adds. This is one of the reasons why Operations are 1.5 or just 1 tank in lots of cases.

RydelFox
02.29.2012 , 01:04 PM | #3
The biggest thing that's going to kill a tank is the boss enraging/

If the boss is enraging, sacrificing DPS to be an off tank is going to make things worse.

The reason everyone is bringing only 1 tank to Ops and using a DPS to in the offtank role on the fights that need it is that the Enrage timers can be pretty close and sacrificing damage makes the biggest issue most ops have (that or EV bugging out) worse.
Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Guild
Help spread love and tolerance across the galaxy.
Guild HQ | Guild Thread | Forum

ImpressiveSir
03.01.2012 , 12:43 PM | #4
IMO the only real OP you need 2 tanks for is that one boss fight in Karragga's Palace. Can't remember the bosses names off the top of my head.

Everything else just needs more DPS to beat the enrage timers.

RydelFox
03.01.2012 , 02:23 PM | #5
With Jarg and Sorno, you can have a DPS go in to a tank stance for Jarg while the actual tank is on Sorno. Most of Jarg's damage is Elemental Tech attacks, so the Extra Armor, Defense, and Shielding don't help.

For the Heavy Fabricator, do that same strategy. They only need to hold the boss until the tank's debuff stacks drop off.

I haven't seen a fight in Hard Mode Ops that need a second tank with anything more than a DPS build and a tank stance, but I have seen a few HM bosses enrage, so it's not worth sacrificing the DPS for a second tank.
Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Guild
Help spread love and tolerance across the galaxy.
Guild HQ | Guild Thread | Forum

JLapp
03.01.2012 , 04:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RydelFox View Post
With Jarg and Sorno, you can have a DPS go in to a tank stance for Jarg while the actual tank is on Sorno. Most of Jarg's damage is Elemental Tech attacks, so the Extra Armor, Defense, and Shielding don't help.

For the Heavy Fabricator, do that same strategy. They only need to hold the boss until the tank's debuff stacks drop off.

I haven't seen a fight in Hard Mode Ops that need a second tank with anything more than a DPS build and a tank stance, but I have seen a few HM bosses enrage, so it's not worth sacrificing the DPS for a second tank.
Don't think you even need a tank stance. We have a commando tank Sorno...doesn't do too much damage as long as you interrupt his abilities.

Fabricator you just have two healers on the bottom healing the tank and you are fine. People up top should be able to kill/knock back the droids enough that you only need off-heals.

Korzald
03.01.2012 , 09:41 PM | #7
I run a shadow and I am the off tank.

I run with full tanking gear on and still do decent dps ( dps in dps gear is a lot better ).

My primary function is for those oh crap moments or when the tank gets a punt and knocked away. Or something goes really wrong.

During trash pulls we usually split the groups into two with the main tank on a few and myself tanking a few. This makes the packs easy to manage and allows both tanks to establish solid aggro before the dps let it rip.

But I do have a full set of dps gear and in some fights drop to dps stance and put on the dps gear and don't play back-up tank.

I have noticed that as our guild has progressed gear wise there are a lot less of the oh crap moments and more time with me just doing dps. So I have on occasions been switching a few tanking pieces out with dps pieces gear wise. I foresee not needing a secondary tank for 90% of the content and soon 100% of the normal raid content.

As we are just starting to hit the hard mode raid content I don't know how it will play out in the long run.

But so long as your getting to the enrage timers and your main tank is holding the aggro. Healers are keeping the MT up and no issues are scrubbing the fight then that says to me it is time for the secondary tank to DPS up.

So in brief a secondary tank is good to have for learning an encounter and any issues it might present. After it is solid then get rid of the backup and go with a solo main tank. Assuming the encounter is not easier with two tanks.

Prossy
03.03.2012 , 11:13 PM | #8
In my experience the only time you need an offtank is on 16man operations, for 8man you just need 1 tank, 2 healers and the rest dps

The only time you ever need an offtank in 8man is on Soa and thats because the main tank is in the mind trap or flying in the air (or died because someone can't handle their balls, no pun intended) and that's mainly the boss mechanic thing