Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Darth Maul is alive

Aitix
02.23.2012 , 07:43 PM | #1
A lot of you have asked: how the hell did Darth Maul survive his duel with Obi-Wan? Well, I've come to clear things up.

Yes, Darth Maul was cut in half and yes, he did fall down the reactor shaft. However, he never got to the bottom. He avoided his landing by going through some air vents, same way Luke did on Bespin.

Here's an excerpt from the new book titled The Wrath of Darth Maul, which goes into detail about how he survived:

Quote: Originally Posted by Wrath of Darth Maul
No.
And as he fell, the upper half of his body seperated from the lower.
No.
As his remains tumbled down the gnerator shaft, he kept his eyes open and fought to remain conscious. But then his head struck the shaft's wall, and everything went dark.
No!
His mind screamed. Despite everything he had learned about death and duty from his Master, Maul knew he was not yet ready to die. Not after so many years of training, and with so much more to accomplish. Not so long as he still has do much hatred within him.
Obi-Wan ruined me!
He willed himself to see. A moment later, his vision returned. The shaft's walls were a disorienting blur. Across the shaft he sighted his own black-clad legs, scisoring lifelessly at the air as they fell. He struggled to right his torso so he could see downward.
Can't die!
He fell past an oval shadow, and then a similar shadow raced by, along with a whooshing sound.
Air vents.
Maul hoped that there was at least one more vent below, that it would be large enough to accomodate his diminished body. he extended his arms, and his left hand's fingertips suddently burned with friction as they brushed against the cylindrical wall.
Must live!
Hoping, wishing, praying for one more air vent...
Must kill Obi-Wan!
...he reached out with the Force.
And that is how Maul survived. This is all according to The Wrath of Darth Maul novel by Ryder Windham. The novel also details what happens to Maul after that moment. Maul's duel with Obi-Wan has left him scared and not just physically. As you can see from this video here, he has gone insane and according to the book, has suffered from memory loss. Now, at around 2:00, you'll hear Sam Witwer say that the dark side of the Force has not only driven him mad but kept him alive as well, the same way Force users like Darth Simus and Darth Sion survived.

However, he does regain both his sanity and his memory when Savage Opress gives him the amulet Talzin gave him at the end of the Nightsisters trilogy of Season 3. Now some of you may be asking: what about Maul's legs? Well, according to the book, he is on this crude, six-legged apparatus. However, he may not use them forever. Here's another excerpt from The Wrath of Darth Maul :

Quote: Originally Posted by Wrath of Darth Maul
Because now he knew the identity of the person who had transformed him into a monster. He knew the man was a Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi. If Opress and Talzin could help Maul, they might help him find Kenobi. But Maul also knew he was in bad shape, that what he could really use was a new set of legs.
So Maul may not always be on his six-legged apparatus.

Now, I mentioned in this post that Maul "survived" his duel with Obi-Wan. However, I'm not certain if this is the case. Maul may have been alive long enough to avoid his landing using the air vents. But perhaps he had some help. In the Book of Sith, Talzin says that she can rejuvenate the near-dead.

Quote: Originally Posted by Book of Sith
When used in conjunction with crafters chanting incantations, I can channel the ichor to rejuvenate the near-dead by coaxing the injured spirit to emerge from hibernation.
So perhaps Talzin had a hand in making Maul stay alive?

It could be possible. Talzin was certainly interested in Maul during their first encounter in The Wrath of Darth Maul and in Star Wars: Darth Plagueis, Plagueis wonders if Talzin might try to find Maul.

So yes, Darth Maul is alive. Why? Probably because people were bummed out that Darth Maul died in the first place. Before Filoni confirmed that Darth Maul was indeed alive after his duel on Naboo, a lot of people made threads saying that Maul shouldn't have died. It was only a matter of time before LucasFilm picked up on this and decided to bring Maul back. So I guess we got what we asked for in the end.

Personally, I'm actually interested in seeing Maul again. In The Phantom Menace, Maul was mostly a blank slate the same way Boba Fett was a blank slate in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. He was loyal, serious, and that was it. So the CGI Clone Wars series could certainly delve into Maul more and the same way the EU novels did. And who knows, Maul might even fight Anakin or Dooku. So there is at least some potential to this.

And look at Simus, who survived being decapitated or Darth Sion, who can keep his decomposing body together through the Force. And everyone was sure Darth Sidious was dead after being thrown down the Death Star's core and blown up in the process, but Io and behold, he had clones of himself he could take control of. Let's not forget Maw, who was also cut in half and still survived through the dark side of the Force.

I think Palpatine sums it up best.

"The dark side of the Force is a path to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

Tuscad
02.23.2012 , 07:48 PM | #2
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

BrandonSM
02.24.2012 , 07:49 PM | #3
So what did he do when he was alive? He clearly didn't go back to Palps or Dooku.

And were about to see if this book(Wrath of DM) is canon or not. If the TCW doesn't retconn it(Meaning he gets resurrected and isn't already alive) then this book is proven to not be canon. Since TCW overrules it.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

xCyberpunkx
02.24.2012 , 08:21 PM | #4
Dumb. Honestly really dumb. Worse than Boba Fett, even.

Cegenaus
02.25.2012 , 01:59 AM | #5
retcons are bs. lets see you retcon me slicing you in half with a sword. too many chiefs and not enough warriors in EU
Cegenaus/Xyrin/Ixor/Domz
Merc/Sorc/Mara/Jugg

Vortex Reborn/Das Ubel- Terentatek

RixoFutu
02.25.2012 , 03:20 AM | #6
That's ridiculous, let him rest in peace ... if you can say anything like this about sith, lol

Forgon
03.03.2012 , 08:57 PM | #7
I like the op: concise, organized, direct. You provided evidence and gave an excellent explanation.

Personally, I find Maul's resurrection a positive note in Star Wars. Talzin makes an excellent villain and I have liked the recent EU novels released on topics like this. I think there is a lot of potential with this.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

GarfieldJL
03.03.2012 , 10:13 PM | #8
There is a comic, that has Maul actually show up on Tatooine sometime after episode III. I can't remember if it Obi Wan that nails him or Owen Lars ending up shooting him.

Vordy
03.04.2012 , 05:06 AM | #9
Dart Maul died in episode 1, RIP.

lordkains
03.10.2012 , 09:05 AM | #10
DARTH MAUL IS BACK He rocked last nght