Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What happens to Luke?

UltimateKrucible
03.02.2012 , 03:54 PM | #1
What happens to Luke between Empire and RotJ?

It's always bothered me that at the end of Empire he's still very much a boy, and he's just been told, by Yoda no less, that he has to complete his training.

Yet by the start of RotJ, he's pretty much Jedi'd up - to the extend that when he goes back to Dagoba, Yoda tells him that his training is complete.

Is there some part of the EU that explains all this? And I mean something that's established canon?

Or is it just another example of Lucas's elastic approach to story telling?
. Shine on, you crazy pixel.

Funny post! The nine circles of SW:TOR PvP hell

Toonimator
03.02.2012 , 04:01 PM | #2
Shadows of the Empire covers that period pretty thoroughly, but--as I recall--it's rather silly.

Enochx
03.02.2012 , 04:07 PM | #3
you're not a jedi until you create your first lightsaber. Vader in RotJ "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your training is now complete."

Thats what he was doing. He went back to obi wan's hut on tatooine and created new lightsaber. I always thought he found Qui-Gons old crystal, but everyone else seems to say that he created a synth crystal. I have read most of the novels, but not the comics so I am not entirely sure abou tthe crystal.

But thats what he was doing. Once you create your saber using only the force....your training is complete.
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Wolfninjajedi
03.02.2012 , 04:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Enochx View Post
you're not a jedi until you create your first lightsaber. Vader in RotJ "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your training is now complete."

Thats what he was doing. He went back to obi wan's hut on tatooine and created new lightsaber. I always thought he found Qui-Gons old crystal, but everyone else seems to say that he created a synth crystal. I have read most of the novels, but not the comics so I am not entirely sure abou tthe crystal.

But thats what he was doing. Once you create your saber using only the force....your training is complete.
Its actually "your skills are complete". :P But anyway between Empire and ROTJ, Luke trained and made a new lightsaber which was rather a big feat seeing what limited resources Luke had. So by ROTJ his training was complete. The movie novelizations go more in depth with Luke's training in being a jedi, as does the books between the movies.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

mdhtwo
03.02.2012 , 04:26 PM | #5
I've always thought that Luke's need for more training wasn't to learn how to access the Force, but how to control it. It was more the issue that Luke was still a reckless kid who was still largely driven by his emotions. And of course Yoda wanted to make sure Luke was emotionally ready before confronting Vader and learning that he was his father.

The fight with Vader ironically helped him develop that emotional maturity, he had the biggest shock and defeat of his life. As much as creating a Lightsaber was a sign that he'd learnt both the technical skills required to design a lightsaber and the control of the Force necessary to construct it. I think the time was mostly spent getting his head on straight, training the skills he'd learnt from Yoda and working his way through Ben's Journal. Shadows of the Empire implies he spent a lot of time working on his Lightsaber and getting his head right.

GarfieldJL
03.02.2012 , 08:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Enochx View Post

He created the crystal in a furnace using instructions he found in Obi Wan's hut, that Jawas and Sand People thought was haunted.

This is actually stated in Shadows of the Empire, Luke was also afraid his lightsaber would blow up in his face when he first turned it on.

TKMaster
03.02.2012 , 08:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
Shadows of the Empire covers that period pretty thoroughly, but--as I recall--it's rather silly.
It was and still is one of the most influential and best novels in the EU. And picked up the EU flame that Thrawn lit.

Liquidacid
03.03.2012 , 12:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
It was and still is one of the most influential and best novels in the EU. And picked up the EU flame that Thrawn lit.
that's because it wasn't just a novel it was a whole multi-media project... there was the novel, comic books, the N64 game (which was awesome), a Soundtrack, action figures, Trading cards and toys
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

TKMaster
03.03.2012 , 07:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
that's because it wasn't just a novel it was a whole multi-media project... there was the novel, comic books, the N64 game (which was awesome), a Soundtrack, action figures, Trading cards and toys
Thats right, it was Lucas' 1st multi-media attempt & sucess out side of the films.

Darth_Pernisc
03.03.2012 , 09:57 AM | #10
Luke had an entire year between ESB and ROTJ to hone his skills.