Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Extremely High GPU Temps

onesorryasspejo
12.15.2011 , 02:21 PM | #1
Hello,

I'm having extremely high GPU temps in the game, but only in this game. Sitting in Korriban, they are averaging between 85-93 degrees Celsius. Playing other games, such as Skyrim on Ultra, will top out at 72 degrees max. That's quite a discrepancy for a game that shouldn't demand as much.

Graphics Cards:
  • 2x ATI 5850's
Settings in Game:
  • All on High
  • Windowed Mode
  • 1920x1080
  • Vsync Enabled
  • Refresh Rate = 60
  • Bloom and Conversation Depth of Field Enabled

Is this a known issue? I'm currently using ATI drivers 11.11. Going to try new ones and see if any difference.

RuthlessKorrupt
12.15.2011 , 02:25 PM | #2
I've run into this issue myself with a lot of other games.

The problem is that your framerate is to high, which causes you GPU to work harder. I know that seems silly, but it does happen. I recommended this to someone who had the same issues as you, and it worked out great for him.

Take one of these and call me in the morning. http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html

FYI, Dxtory allows you to cap your framerate, mess with it and see what works for you.

RuthlessKorrupt
12.15.2011 , 02:38 PM | #3
Bumping this because I'm curious if it worked for you.

onesorryasspejo
12.15.2011 , 03:17 PM | #4
I appreciate the suggestion. Wanted to let it burn in for a bit just to make sure my findings. It has reduced my temperatures down to 82 which I am happy about, but still amazed that it is running hotter than Skyrim :/

I'll make sure to put Dxtory into autorun. Thanks!

Digitallyatomic
12.15.2011 , 03:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RuthlessKorrupt View Post
I've run into this issue myself with a lot of other games.

The problem is that your framerate is to high, which causes you GPU to work harder. I know that seems silly, but it does happen. I recommended this to someone who had the same issues as you, and it worked out great for him.

Take one of these and call me in the morning. http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html

FYI, Dxtory allows you to cap your framerate, mess with it and see what works for you.
He said he is running V-Sync active which would normalize his FPS to 60~. However he also said your fix lowered temps slightly so always a plus. Not sure this will end up being the root of the problem. In all honesty I'd say wait for a driver update. It's always been that way. CoD: Black-Ops, BF3, MW3, Skyrim, etc... My temps always went down after driver optimization.

RuthlessKorrupt
12.15.2011 , 03:37 PM | #6
It doesnt solve the issue, but it'll help you bring the temps down to a tolerable level. 82 is not bad. With Dxtory you probably don't need Vsync enabled if you don't want to deal with mouse lag.

Usually I cap at 30 FPS, highest settings and it holds there even in large group/fights/environments.

This is a cheap alternative until I can muster up the cash to buy a better card.

RuthlessKorrupt
12.15.2011 , 03:52 PM | #7
Also FYI, on Dxtory, I enable "Wait for Buffer" and "Force CPU Process" I don't actually know if they do anything, but I have those two checked for peace of mind. ;p

The idea is to take as much pressure off the GPU so it keeps the temps low.