Palpatine forgot about the rule of 2

MajinEddie

He had count duku. Duku had both ventris and grevis. When palp had vader vader had starkiller. not sure if duku and his 2 sith followers were under palp at the same time as Mual. Ifso then thats 5 sith at 1 time. The Darkside only wanted 2. Do you think this is why good old palpatine failed?

the rule of two ceased to exist the day plagueis killed his master and decleared he would create a new sith order.

Edited by undeadsithdread

well theres so many parts in the later lore since tpm about the rule of 2 , first of the rule of two is explained in hte bane series ofc and explains it quite well, its mentioned in the tpm and through the prequals.

reading some of new jedi order and stand alone books there are vague references to it there, one book explaines how vergere was tested by sidious to become a sith apprentice but failed and she ran away to escape the assassins and then met up with the vong, so the lore about it is all over the eu.

im pretty certain in the bane books it says there can be minions of the sith but only 2 dark lords, so im guessing that means just 2 full lords of the sith but they can train and use as many acolytes or dark side users limited in power to help them out numbers wise to carry out the donkey work.

basically with the cloning technology the emporer had available and the essense transfer skill or whatever its called theres no reason to have the rule anyway, when body is oldish simply transfer over ot new cloned body, its a bit of a mess but i look that the saber wielders popping up in newer lore and just servents rather than sith lords

Ya but Old, Maul wasn't really a dark lord of the sith...I mean he was just there to be there. If he really was a Sith Lord, then he really should have wiped the floor with Obi-Wan(plot armor aside) and killed him. Sith Lords don't dick around with their opponents, unless needing to.

Where to start...

First, Sidious calls Maul his "apprentice" to the Neimodians... wasn't that pretty indicative of being part of the Rule of Two. I don't the Dark Lords of the Sith threw that term around haphazardly.

Second, he did "clean the floor" with Obi-Wan... he beat him, but then Obi-Wan pulled out a "miracle."

Third, why would that matter? Sith Lords are not inherently more powerful than Jedi... so, not sure why that even matters.

My biggest issues with the Ventris nonsense and the like are how it really is a massive retcon of the Rule of Two, which are actual canon in the movies! And then Lucas wants everyone to accept TCW as canon as well. Please. There's only so much nonsense I can accept before I start ignoring the series as a whole.

But, you know, I'd even be OK with the Rule of Two being disbanded by Sidious, and the Jedi simply not knowing that... but that still doesn't wipe away the abomination of a story line of Anakin having an apprentice. Ugh.

Edited by Yarcamos

No he never declared that... Plageuis admired the Ro2 AND so did Palps. It was a proficcient way for the Sith. They even discuss it.

then what heck about plagueis told his master about replacing the rule of two before killing him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXZrojfugDE&feature=channel_video_title

27:00

Edited by undeadsithdread

Ventress wasn't Dooku's Apprentice. Yes, she called him Master but so did Grevious and Grevious wasn't a dark Lord.

In the Dark Rendzevous novel, She begs to Dooku to make her an apprentice and he refuses multiple times.

She was just an assassin similar to Mara Jade for Sidious.

Ventress wasn't Dooku's Apprentice. Yes, she called him Master but so did Grevious and Grevious wasn't a dark Lord.

In the Dark Rendzevous novel, She begs to Dooku to make her an apprentice and he refuses multiple times.

She was just an assassin similar to Mara Jade for Sidious.

In the novel, that may be true, but doesn't Dooku actually call her "apprentice" during the episodic Clone Wars?

Edited by Yarcamos

the rule of two was still valid throughout the series. plaguis had darth maul first, then maul died to obi-wan. remember you don't see dooku until anakin is like 10 years older. he could have switched sides in the middle of that. as for dooku's apprentice. she gets cast aside in season 3 anyway, so temporary plot device. then when plaguis gets vader, vader finds starkiller. starkiller was trained in secret to help vader topple the emperor. so seeing as how the emperor only knew of himself and vader, then the rule wasn't needing to be enforced.

the rule of two was still valid throughout the series. plaguis had darth maul first, then maul died to obi-wan. remember you don't see dooku until anakin is like 10 years older. he could have switched sides in the middle of that. as for dooku's apprentice. she gets cast aside in season 3 anyway, so temporary plot device. then when plaguis gets vader, vader finds starkiller. starkiller was trained in secret to help vader topple the emperor. so seeing as how the emperor only knew of himself and vader, then the rule wasn't needing to be enforced.

Sidious.

Plagueis was Sidious' Master, whom he killed and recounted the "legend" to Anakin in the Opera House.

He had count duku. Duku had both ventris and grevis. When palp had vader vader had starkiller. not sure if duku and his 2 sith followers were under palp at the same time as Mual. Ifso then thats 5 sith at 1 time. The Darkside only wanted 2. Do you think this is why good old palpatine failed?

Ventress was kept hidden for a reason you know? She recieved Sith Training, she was a Dark Jedi but in all intents and purposes she was a Sith, Palpatine knew she existed, but he thought she was only a Assassin

After you slaughter a room full of kiddies because they might be a threat someday, following a rule or any rule for that matter is probably secondary to the burning hole you've just punched in your soul.

Do you think this is why good old palpatine failed?
He didn't fail. He took the Galactic Republic and transformed it into the Galactic Empire, and thus ruled as Emperor for over 2 decades.

Have to remember Sith lords trained others as acolytes, agents, and assassins. Doesn't mean they are Sith (those that receive further training in Sith ideology, skill, and secrets).

Even with the rule of two, Darth Plagueis allowed his apprentice Darth Sidious to train the Zabrak Maul as an assassin. But unknown to Plagueis, Sidious dubbed him Darth Maul, and even Maul didn't know his Master Darth Sidious has a master. Anyway, with Maul's demise, and Darth Sidious's eventual slaying of his master Darth Plagueis, he apprentice's Count Dooku as Darth Tyranus, and teaches him the ways of the Sith.

However, somewhere along the line, Darth Sidious realizes that the anger and strong force sensitivity Jedi Anakin has would be more beneficial to his schemes to unravel the Republic. However, even though Darth Tyranus had served his purpose up to that time, Sidious would allow his apprentice one last test, thus the fight between Count Dooku and Anakin was "set up" so the survivor would become Darth Sidious's future Imperial Enforcer, even at the cost of maybe even not winning Anakin over to the dark side.

Anyway, if anything, even if the rule of two was "bent" a little, in the case of Maul, Palpatine/Sidious I believe adhered to it pretty well.

Edited by knightrune

Like the others have been saying, I think the Sith would break these rules as seen fit. If they saw that they could advance their power by having another apprentice they would probably take the opportunity.

true. there would always be only 2 official sith lords, a master and an apprentice.

the master may train another if he sees potential to replace his apprentice. the apprentice, also may take his own apprentice to overpower the master, and then he shall be the new lord of the sith...

I didn't read anyone elses post, but if you read Darth Plaguies this makes a lot more sense. The rule of 2 died out with Darth Tenebrous.

I didn't read anyone elses post, but if you read Darth Plaguies this makes a lot more sense. The rule of 2 died out with Darth Tenebrous.

I'd say it died when Sidious started his plan of taking over the galaxy and purging the jedi. The Rule of 2 was pretty much a means to take over the galaxy, was it's ultimate goal.

Edited by _Zorth_