Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Underworld Trading & the Light

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Underworld Trading & the Light

Trinkard
12.15.2011 , 03:46 PM | #1
How are Light Side players rationalizing Underworld Trading as a mission skill?

I'm playing a Jedi Guardian favoring Light side, and so am choosing Synthweaving to craft armor. The mission skill to get materials for Synthweaving is Underworld Trading, but the concept of Underworld Trading seems to go against Jedi principles... I'm curious to hear how RPers are dealing with this.

I've considered not training that skill and acquiring the mats through trade, but since they all sourced from there in the first place, it felt like the same thing.

SilentKitty
12.15.2011 , 06:38 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Trinkard View Post
How are Light Side players rationalizing Underworld Trading as a mission skill?

I'm playing a Jedi Guardian favoring Light side, and so am choosing Synthweaving to craft armor. The mission skill to get materials for Synthweaving is Underworld Trading, but the concept of Underworld Trading seems to go against Jedi principles... I'm curious to hear how RPers are dealing with this.

I've considered not training that skill and acquiring the mats through trade, but since they all sourced from there in the first place, it felt like the same thing.
It might perhaps be good to have contacts in different places of the world, the Jedi will not be able to do their work being isolated from everyone else. Perhaps, you might even be able to influence some of them for the better?

RC-Scorch
12.15.2011 , 08:18 PM | #3
And remember, it isnt YOU going into the dark seedy underworld to get stuff. It's your companion. Now, my Jedi is only level 10 and I don't know their companions, but I assume there's at LEAST one shady smuggler type. That makes plenty of sense. Like Obi-wan in episode II, when he asked Dex for information about that dart thing. Kinda.
Loweracca, -NA- Ahazi SWG
Sitherus, Mercs of Chaos, Draenor WoW

You live and you learn. Or you don't live long.

RoninTigera
12.15.2011 , 09:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RC-Scorch View Post
And remember, it isnt YOU going into the dark seedy underworld to get stuff. It's your companion. Now, my Jedi is only level 10 and I don't know their companions, but I assume there's at LEAST one shady smuggler type. That makes plenty of sense. Like Obi-wan in episode II, when he asked Dex for information about that dart thing. Kinda.
THIS, exactly. It's what I was thinking as soon as I read the OP.
ELDERIC PENDRAKE
иииииииииии Military [SHADOW COMPANY] Mercenary иииииииииии
Many Worlds | Established 2004 | No Drama
For Power and Profit!

JMCA
12.15.2011 , 10:47 PM | #5
The Jedi Code doesn't mention political affiliations and business decisions as to be adherent one way or another.

I propose that a Jedi who gets better equipment from the "black market" than the other Jedi who sticks with official suppliers out of principle is embracing knowledge over ignorance, as well as understanding that those who "break the law" are just as important and sometimes more valuable than those who adhere to it, demonstrating more mastery of "there is no chaos, there is harmony."

Nyysjan
12.16.2011 , 03:45 AM | #6
Other than the first letter and sounding a bit similar in english, the "Light" and the "Law" have only the most accidental contact with each other.

Just stay detached and don't give into your hate and peddle those spices all you want.
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudKiller View Post
Agent: "If you want a door smashed down call a Sith Warrior, if you want a door blow to pieces call a Bounty Hunter, if you want the key to the door and the knowledge of what lies beyond it then you call me."

DiabloWalker
12.16.2011 , 03:51 AM | #7
Obi Wan endorsed underworld activities with the hoodlums on Tatooine

Heimskringla
12.16.2011 , 06:38 AM | #8
Jedi aren't exactly saints, at least not in this time period.
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

BrianDavion
12.16.2011 , 08:33 AM | #9
keep in mind that just because it's black market doesn't mesan i't immoral.

I imagine trade between the empire and republic is pretty... shakey. there's proably a lot of smuggling being done to get around blockades, excessive tarrifs and embargos

Trinkard
12.16.2011 , 10:31 AM | #10
Awesome - thanks for the input guys!