Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this game really in trouble?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is this game really in trouble?

Astron_
02.26.2012 , 08:30 AM | #201
Considering different people from different servers are posting every single day about population in areas declining and guildmembers not logging in anymore, I would say they have some trouble.

Of course, Biodrones will come in here and tell you "no, they raised servercaps, HATER!!1"
Because in some weird universe they think that's the reason guilds and servers are loosing people....sigh.

Carillion
02.26.2012 , 08:36 AM | #202
I think the game is awesome. Sure there's bugs and things that need polish but that really comes with the genre and is to be expected.

The only thing that's currently bothering me is the low pop server I happened to end up on. But I'm confident that we will get merges and/or transfers eventually. ^^

Vincire
02.26.2012 , 08:38 AM | #203
This game has far more good qualities than bad. My only complaint is that it follows the same old WoW raid-centric endgame.
Judan Dalratha -- 65 Jedi Guardian

Bazeleel
02.26.2012 , 08:39 AM | #204
Im giving this game till april to start really fixing things if nothing really changes or just gets worse Ill be out. Which is sad...I want to like this game...but......its soo boring.

Azumio
02.26.2012 , 08:40 AM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Loksoral View Post
I've been busy playing TOR, and enjoying it despite its flaws. It isn't perfect, but I enjoy it, so that is all that matters.

However, I keep seeing people insult, sometimes downright lie, about the game. It's getting to the point where its depressing, because I feel like this game I'm quickly falling in love with might disappear.

I mean, is there -anyone- out there that enjoys this game? It doesn't look like it from what I'm seeing... and that sucks.

I see the potential in this game, I remember countless other MMOs which had faults, and became something great. Right now, TOR's going to hold my interest for years as is, I don't want to think what it'll do my social life after some more patching and features.

Legacy system looks awesome, especially for role players like myself. I don't even know the point of this post, really. I guess its to say I've watched good games die because people these days are so full of hate and malice for anything they find the slightest fault in. It has gotten to the point where if someone likes the game on these boards, they get insulted, and verbally soul-punched for even mentioning the game is fun or they enjoy it.
People are more likely to voice their disappointments/negatives than they are the positives.

This is true for anything.

The job of people like yourself, is shifting through the obvious hate-mongering, and the actual real feedback.

For myself, I got a reputation around here for being a hater. I got this because people on this forum are far, far to sensitive/defensive on the subject. So, to them anything negative said about the game makes one a hater. (You'll notice who these people are if you read enough)

Is this game going to disappear? No. You have a long process before that happens, and the game isn't at the point where it is not salvageable yet. It needs a lot of tender loving care though, and that's kinda the issue. The amount of effort that would need to be pumped into this game to make it more than it currently is (A tide-me-over MMORPG that will have a small, but loyal fanbase) might not be worth it for EA.

Is the game in a down-trend? I'd say so. You can see this from populations dropping game-wide.

There are issues with big features not being in at launch (Legacy, LFG System), lifeless, dead atmosphere (not fixable) amazingly divided population which makes your average server very densely populated, which in turn fuels the fire that the game doesn't feel like an MMORPG, etc.

There are many, many more issues. The communication between Bioware and the Playerbase isn't great, and the community as a whole is fractured and at eachothers throats. There isn't much middle-ground, and that doesn't bode well for the game.

That said, if you enjoy the game, keep playing it. It won't disappear. You'll see the server list get less and less, but you might not feel the effects of the dwindling population as they take measures against it (Server merges, for instance).

Vespertilius
02.26.2012 , 08:43 AM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Carillion View Post
I think the game is awesome. Sure there's bugs and things that need polish but that really comes with the genre and is to be expected.

The only thing that's currently bothering me is the low pop server I happened to end up on. But I'm confident that we will get merges and/or transfers eventually. ^^
Have hope and same patience friend

IMHO all the "desinfo-agents, Curious guys that just came up here to see what SWTOR is, and many other type of trolls, will slowly go away, and back to they'r games!

And in time the new and fresh true players will start to fill up the game servers.
I know it's a very slow process, but it will happen more and more each day!
Terrible sorry for my bad English, not my natural language!

Azumio
02.26.2012 , 08:46 AM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by Vespertilius View Post
Have hope and same patience friend

IMHO all the "desinfo-agents, Curious guys that just came up here to see what SWTOR is, and many other type of trolls, will slowly go away, and back to they'r games!

And in time the new and fresh true players will start to fill up the game servers.
I know it's a very slow process, but it will happen more and more each day!
I doubt it.

It's far, far easier to lose players than it is to recruit them. For every 1 new player that joins, 3 probably quit (This might be true for all MMORPGS).

This is not even factoring in the possibly of a Private Server(s) popping up.

Infinite Aion, a private server had more population at one point, than the official NA Aion servers.

realID
02.26.2012 , 08:47 AM | #208
Think of the forums as the manager of a restaurant.

The game will be the waitress/waiter.

Now this will vary depending on your age, but how often have you, or someone in your party requested to speak to the manager due to good performance by the staff? Don't overthink it, the answer is most likely zero. It's human nature to expect to be treated like a king and when that objective is met, we rarely think nothing of it.

Now, how often have you requested to speak to the manager due to poor service? Plenty of times? Exactly....

When's the last time you called up your grocery store to speak to the manager to extend a special thanks to the cashier and bagger for being polite and properly bagging your groceries? Now how about when one tiny little egg got cracked? Exactly.

It's Customer Service Associates who have some of the most unsatisfying jobs in the world. Why? Because people rarely feel the need to congratulate them for doing their job well, but are very quick to complain as if they were dying for one little problem. Game forums, ESPECIALLY the official game forums, are essentially a customer service associate. Few people will come here to say "Wow, great game, I'm having a lot of fun." For one, they're expecting it and think nothing out of the ordinary occurred for them to have said fun, and secondly, it's because they're busy in the game having fun. But those that feel offended for whatever reason? Oh yes, they can surely complain.

ArtMonster
02.26.2012 , 08:53 AM | #209
my observation is a little different I suppose.

I dont think the servers are low population persay, I think the players are just so segregated on those servers that it feels like a ghost town.

The instancing is great for gameplay ( it feels great to be the heroic one setting off into danger by myself or with a few friends ), I wouldnt change that at all.

But, the social aspect or 'feeling' of lots of players is just not there when I am not actively fighting and am just doing mundane things for my character, or just crafting, whatever.

General chat is very very bland... (minus weekend peak times, there are admittedly more)...nothing like ANY other 'zone' style chat in MMO's...it's weird! a dead zone chat??? what's going on? where is the dissconnect of these millions and millions of players?

If there was at least one place where a 'lot' of players can congregate ( like fleet station and/or one major city or base on each planet ) and can have a feel of....'life', that would help alleviate the feeling of total isolation and solitude.

or if that's not possible, how about making general chat (or another name) span a vaster array of area or participants. I dont know.

so ya, I dont think the populations are going away. but the 'isolation' from everyone else in areas that are supposed to be 'social' areas is a bit unnearving..... to us who are used to the dynamic 'life' MMO's.

dunno if that made any sense... kind early.

Yozbick
02.26.2012 , 08:55 AM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by Loksoral View Post
I feel like this game I'm quickly falling in love with might disappear.
The game is awesome 1-49. It all stops about two weeks after you hit Level 50 though.

Unless Bioware makes some major changes to the endgame (and I really don't see them in what I've read of the 1.2 patch) then you will likely see a fairly large dropoff in March.

After that point, there will probably be some server mergers. Perhaps a smaller hit on overall population in response to mergers, then the very slow downward slope that most MMOs see.

So, no, it won't disappear... at least not for a year and probably not for at least two years. If you enjoy playing, keep playing.
"Only an irredeemable fanboi can fail to acknowledge irony in the fact that the two worst aspects of 'Star Wars: TOR' are the part with the 'stars' and the part with the 'war.""