Is this game really in trouble?

Loksoral

Considering different people from different servers are posting every single day about population in areas declining and guildmembers not logging in anymore, I would say they have some trouble.

Of course, Biodrones will come in here and tell you "no, they raised servercaps, HATER!!1"

Because in some weird universe they think that's the reason guilds and servers are loosing people....sigh.

Edited by Astron_

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the game is awesome. Sure there's bugs and things that need polish but that really comes with the genre and is to be expected.

The only thing that's currently bothering me is the low pop server I happened to end up on. But I'm confident that we will get merges and/or transfers eventually. ^^

I've been busy playing TOR, and enjoying it despite its flaws. It isn't perfect, but I enjoy it, so that is all that matters.

However, I keep seeing people insult, sometimes downright lie, about the game. It's getting to the point where its depressing, because I feel like this game I'm quickly falling in love with might disappear.

I mean, is there -anyone- out there that enjoys this game? It doesn't look like it from what I'm seeing... and that sucks.

I see the potential in this game, I remember countless other MMOs which had faults, and became something great. Right now, TOR's going to hold my interest for years as is, I don't want to think what it'll do my social life after some more patching and features.

Legacy system looks awesome, especially for role players like myself. I don't even know the point of this post, really. I guess its to say I've watched good games die because people these days are so full of hate and malice for anything they find the slightest fault in. It has gotten to the point where if someone likes the game on these boards, they get insulted, and verbally soul-punched for even mentioning the game is fun or they enjoy it.

People are more likely to voice their disappointments/negatives than they are the positives.

This is true for anything.

The job of people like yourself, is shifting through the obvious hate-mongering, and the actual real feedback.

For myself, I got a reputation around here for being a hater. I got this because people on this forum are far, far to sensitive/defensive on the subject. So, to them anything negative said about the game makes one a hater. (You'll notice who these people are if you read enough)

Is this game going to disappear? No. You have a long process before that happens, and the game isn't at the point where it is not salvageable yet. It needs a lot of tender loving care though, and that's kinda the issue. The amount of effort that would need to be pumped into this game to make it more than it currently is (A tide-me-over MMORPG that will have a small, but loyal fanbase) might not be worth it for EA.

Is the game in a down-trend? I'd say so. You can see this from populations dropping game-wide.

There are issues with big features not being in at launch (Legacy, LFG System), lifeless, dead atmosphere (not fixable) amazingly divided population which makes your average server very densely populated, which in turn fuels the fire that the game doesn't feel like an MMORPG, etc.

There are many, many more issues. The communication between Bioware and the Playerbase isn't great, and the community as a whole is fractured and at eachothers throats. There isn't much middle-ground, and that doesn't bode well for the game.

That said, if you enjoy the game, keep playing it. It won't disappear. You'll see the server list get less and less, but you might not feel the effects of the dwindling population as they take measures against it (Server merges, for instance).

I think the game is awesome. Sure there's bugs and things that need polish but that really comes with the genre and is to be expected.

The only thing that's currently bothering me is the low pop server I happened to end up on. But I'm confident that we will get merges and/or transfers eventually. ^^

Have hope and same patience friend:)

IMHO all the "desinfo-agents, Curious guys that just came up here to see what SWTOR is, and many other type of trolls, will slowly go away, and back to they'r games!

And in time the new and fresh true players will start to fill up the game servers.

I know it's a very slow process, but it will happen more and more each day!:cool:

Edited by Vespertilius

Have hope and same patience friend:)

IMHO all the "desinfo-agents, Curious guys that just came up here to see what SWTOR is, and many other type of trolls, will slowly go away, and back to they'r games!

And in time the new and fresh true players will start to fill up the game servers.

I know it's a very slow process, but it will happen more and more each day!:cool:

I doubt it.

It's far, far easier to lose players than it is to recruit them. For every 1 new player that joins, 3 probably quit (This might be true for all MMORPGS).

This is not even factoring in the possibly of a Private Server(s) popping up.

Infinite Aion, a private server had more population at one point, than the official NA Aion servers.

Edited by Azumio

Think of the forums as the manager of a restaurant.

The game will be the waitress/waiter.

Now this will vary depending on your age, but how often have you, or someone in your party requested to speak to the manager due to good performance by the staff? Don't overthink it, the answer is most likely zero. It's human nature to expect to be treated like a king and when that objective is met, we rarely think nothing of it.

Now, how often have you requested to speak to the manager due to poor service? Plenty of times? Exactly....

When's the last time you called up your grocery store to speak to the manager to extend a special thanks to the cashier and bagger for being polite and properly bagging your groceries? Now how about when one tiny little egg got cracked? Exactly.

It's Customer Service Associates who have some of the most unsatisfying jobs in the world. Why? Because people rarely feel the need to congratulate them for doing their job well, but are very quick to complain as if they were dying for one little problem. Game forums, ESPECIALLY the official game forums, are essentially a customer service associate. Few people will come here to say "Wow, great game, I'm having a lot of fun." For one, they're expecting it and think nothing out of the ordinary occurred for them to have said fun, and secondly, it's because they're busy in the game having fun. But those that feel offended for whatever reason? Oh yes, they can surely complain.

my observation is a little different I suppose.

I dont think the servers are low population persay, I think the players are just so segregated on those servers that it feels like a ghost town.

The instancing is great for gameplay ( it feels great to be the heroic one setting off into danger by myself or with a few friends ), I wouldnt change that at all.

But, the social aspect or 'feeling' of lots of players is just not there when I am not actively fighting and am just doing mundane things for my character, or just crafting, whatever.

General chat is very very bland... (minus weekend peak times, there are admittedly more)...nothing like ANY other 'zone' style chat in MMO's...it's weird! a dead zone chat??? what's going on? where is the dissconnect of these millions and millions of players?

If there was at least one place where a 'lot' of players can congregate ( like fleet station and/or one major city or base on each planet ) and can have a feel of....'life', that would help alleviate the feeling of total isolation and solitude.

or if that's not possible, how about making general chat (or another name) span a vaster array of area or participants. I dont know.

so ya, I dont think the populations are going away. but the 'isolation' from everyone else in areas that are supposed to be 'social' areas is a bit unnearving..... to us who are used to the dynamic 'life' MMO's.

dunno if that made any sense... kind early.

I feel like this game I'm quickly falling in love with might disappear.

The game is awesome 1-49. It all stops about two weeks after you hit Level 50 though.

Unless Bioware makes some major changes to the endgame (and I really don't see them in what I've read of the 1.2 patch) then you will likely see a fairly large dropoff in March.

After that point, there will probably be some server mergers. Perhaps a smaller hit on overall population in response to mergers, then the very slow downward slope that most MMOs see.

So, no, it won't disappear... at least not for a year and probably not for at least two years. If you enjoy playing, keep playing.

Edited by Yozbick

That seems odd to me. I've never talked to anybody that didn't enjoy the game; it's only around game forums and the like I've heard this sort of thing.

I believe the naysayers are just the usual chicken littles. Those who aren't are expecting too much from a game in its infancy. I think if you give it some time and read into the numbers rather than the forums like others have, you'll see a game ready to blossom into greatness.

So, in a more concise way: I love this game. Never met anybody that didn't. Give it time.

completely agree, one has to visit a place like MMORPG.com to really see how hateful people can be. It's even worse when the MODS allow the hate to flow. That being said, this forum is down right honorable compared to other hate bait sites. I still love the game and have no plans on leaving anytime soon.

These forums are blighted by semi-professional trolls who want the game to fail. BW mods have done a bad deal by not stamping out the hate campaigns here.

Certainly there are dissatisfied, honest players and to some of them this just isn't a right game - but then many people just seem to expect too much, so much that no game can satisfy them and for all likelihood they will find only disappointment also in the future MMOs they will play.

BW has been accused of hype, but it seems to me that these people "hype" their own expectations (and demands) for a game so high, that in the future they might be better just passing by all MMOs.

Edited by Rouge

These forums are blighted by semi-professional trolls who want the game to fail. BW mods have done a bad deal by not stamping out the hate campaigns here.

Certainly there are dissatisfied, honest players and to some of them this just isn't a right game - but then many people just seem to expect too much, so much that no game can satisfy them and for all likelihood they will find only disappointment also in the future MMOs they will play.

BW has been accused of hype, but it seems to me that these people "hype" their own expectations (and demands) for a game so high, that in the future they might be better just passing by all MMOs.

So your answer to negative feedback is to silence them?

Yikes..

If the game "disappearing" is your worry, you needn't worry. Despite what people might say, it takes a tremendous amount to outright end an MMO. There are many many many so called failed MMO's that are still not only active, but get frequent content updates.

Now, if your outlook is "WoW like subscribers or its a failure" then you should probably worry about the entire genre.

For 7 years people had access to WoW, due to how much WoW and SWTOR share, that pretty much mean these people have had 7 years to build up burn-out on SWTOR before it's even released.

This group of burn-out gamers is large and they are desperately looking for the drug that feeds the high they used to get from some old game.

SWTOR is never going to give them that in the long run, it's simply to much like WoW for a burn-out to enjoy it, not to mention it's an early game and they are most likely comparing it to the polished state of WoW.

So personally I pitty them and I'm wondering if a large group of them isn't so far off that they should seek real world help.

It also drown out LEGITIMATE suggestions for game improvement, since a group will spend to much time hating anyone suggesting anything completely drowning out topics. Sometimes you have to sit back and take a breath, before automatically hating everyone that suggest a change.

I was really sad to see a thread about people that FPS lag having a horrible time jumping being hated to death, for some reason the haters thought it was okay some people can't datacron jump, because they could do it fine.

I paid for six months the first time, I've yet to regret doing that, but I do feel the burn after having played WoW since release and now moving into a little to similar game + I can't PvP as well as I'm used to here due to FPS issues, only difference is I'm not in drug withdrawal, so I can deal with the current state of SWTOR and see it's a fairly good game, with huge potential for the future. (Same thing I thought when starting playing WoW, both games at release had amazing potential for the future)

I know its not a big deal, but 3 of my friends have already quit, and the guild of that one person that sticks together for each mmrpg has quit, and as of yesterday Im letting my subsription run out. I got a 50 and a 21. The big thing that bugs me is lack of people. To me the planets should have at least 100 plus players, not 18 and below. I'm a 50 now with some champ gear and want to go kill people, problem is can't find them except warzone

I'm tired of people who go out of their way to post criticisms and suggestions for a game they otherwise enjoy being labeled as haters, whiners, trolls, armchair developers, and the like.

We know you love the game. That's great.

If you don't like the tone of the forum, don't visit it?

playing the game i.e. leveling was great, nice storyline good ideas, hitting 50 and seeing the endconent tough is outright boring ... pve solo, not much to do, groups, far too easy flashpoints, raids .. too easy as well and the typicall wow itemgrind which is in itself not much of a motivation

pvp ... besides huttball which is a gorgeouos idea, it sucks, openwolrd pvp is non existing, and ilum is a bad joke, so regarding motivating content in the endgame, the game as it is now is a fail. launched too early, and yes i know lots of you will say, give them time, well if they update the content to a motivating level especially pvp content with the speed they did fixing bugs, then it can take some time,

so canceled my subscription and looking into the game maybe in a year again.