Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWG and WoW crafting were BAD BAD BAD!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
SWG and WoW crafting were BAD BAD BAD!

Aluo
02.22.2012 , 04:43 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
I see lots of people referencing SWG crafting on here and the majority of people that are actually outside this particular forum found SWG crafting to be way overly complex and time consuming and I agree with them.

Even a Co-worker who was a hardcore crafter in SWG thought that SWG's crafting was just too much!

Crafting in WoW was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum and was too simplistic. All you had was the pattern and needing the mats for the pattern and that was it.

I absolutely love SWTOR's crafting and find it very refreshing, yes it could use some small tweeks, but in all, it is one of the best crafting systems I've had the pleasure to play.
....are you trolling.....

Your friend was a ***** fyi if he was "Hardcore" and thought SWG Crafting was too much.
I played SWG for 4 years, and have yet to find an MMO that can even come CLOSE to the detail of crafting in that game,... ( ok i just though of one.....EVE ).

SWTOR Crafting is EXACTLY THE SAME AS WoW. All they did was add in time sinks during the process and instead of you manually going out and looting ALL your resources, you can just click,... click.... send them out and ignore crafting.

All SWTOR has done here is turned crafting into a bone headed cell phone game. I honestly hate this crafting system, if you even want to call it that.

GrantyJPS
02.22.2012 , 05:44 PM | #342
I loved SWGs crafting system, even though I didnt actually craft anything. My toon was a loot-hunter that spent all day soloing Krayts, NS, the ****** Tuskans etc. I had enough trader points to have my little shop. I had agreements with the top experimental weaponsmiths/armorsmiths where I would trade components for the best stuff.

I was so disappointed with this WoW-esque system.

TBH I am disappointed that weapons dont break, that the best stuff comes from vendors and ******* raid bosses and lasts forever. I loved the SWG economy (yeah I know they broke it with the 20-man rewards for soloable missions, but that was yet another result of the creature nerf debacle). In SWG you could buy almost NOTHING from NPCs.

As people have said before, in SWG, crafting was complex and interesting. I enjoyed crafting on SWTOR until my first toon got to 50 and I realised that it was pointless, because for less time, effort and money you could get better stuff from token rewards. Gearing up your lvling alts is handy-ish I spose, but not remotely necessary.....not like quest content is hard in any way.

Deewe
02.25.2012 , 10:57 AM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
I see lots of people referencing SWG crafting on here and the majority of people that are actually outside this particular forum found SWG crafting to be way overly complex and time consuming and I agree with them.

Even a Co-worker who was a hardcore crafter in SWG thought that SWG's crafting was just too much!

Crafting in WoW was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum and was too simplistic. All you had was the pattern and needing the mats for the pattern and that was it.

I absolutely love SWTOR's crafting and find it very refreshing, yes it could use some small tweeks, but in all, it is one of the best crafting systems I've had the pleasure to play.
SWG Pre-CU crafting syatem had its flaws:
  1. Sorting and sorting all the required components
  2. Click fest to level up
  3. Low level items becoming useless junk
  4. Maintaining harversters.
  5. Selling mats

All that could have easily been mitigated:
#1: A warehouse (was requested) with a good sorting UI and very large stockpiles limits.
#2: Less clicks, here TOR is doing well
#3: Needing lower levels items to craft higher end items (was requested)
#4: Remotely managing dropped harvesters with droids (was requested) and redo the UI (was requested)
#5: Being able to drop any quantities on the AH/Vendor, setting a per unit price and allowing players to decide the amount they want to buy (was requested)
Funny thing is they removed the item naming colorization system which was IMHO a great tool to differentiate the crafters from each others.

And at the time not only players liked the crafting system but they also requested a miner and a farmer profession.

It was also suggested to add an end tier crafting profession that would be able to combine mats to either make better ones, refining their stats or merge them to be able to store less different stacks of the same mats.

Your coworker was right pre-CU SWG crafting system was a bit too much, but it was still the best MMO crafting system ever created topped with player vendors. Do you remember players also requested to Image Design their vendors?

Also guess you know gatherers and hunters would browse the AH to find the good crafters and contact them to offer their gathering services to them?

Since SWG do you ever had any tell hell at all? Personally I never had any. You would made a name out of yourself so much that you wish you could log anonymously in the game, that was crazy!

Reminds me when I played a doc at some point. We accepted a guy in our group on Dathomir and he started telling me how he was going to die if I did not heal him fast. I didn't react immediately (I was Tanking the main mob as TKA) and a bit later I landed a nice, personally made enhanced stim on him healing him from close to zero to full health in a single pop. The guy was wow never thought that was possible dude, apologies /bow. Yeah crafting was that good in SWG. Maybe it was a bit of a pain to level and gather the mats but it made a difference, a big one.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle