Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Permission error but path is wrong

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Permission error but path is wrong
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Star_of_Mithal
02.22.2012 , 07:24 PM | #1
Ok, can anyone help me figure this out? I have tried just about darn near everything short of re-installing the game (which I had to do two weeks ago; patch last week went fine).

2012-02-22 20:17:16 ERROR File Error:Access denied in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor/retailclient/swtor.exe

This is the error that I'm getting when I look in the logs as to why patching fails. First, I am running this as admin, so there should be no "permission" errors; save for the fact that this file path is wrong. I do not believe there should be a / in the path. Why would it be trying to patch in a directory that doesn't exist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gatzoh
02.22.2012 , 08:17 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Star_of_Mithal,

would you please confirm that the subfolders(s) "\swtor\retailclient\" are still located at your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\" gamefolder? If that's not the case, please use the repair function. Start the launcher and click on the cog icon in the bottom left hand corner and then click on 'Repair' - optional additional times and corrupted files will be repaired.
Gatzoh | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Star_of_Mithal
02.22.2012 , 09:24 PM | #3
Yes, I can confirm that the folder(s) do exist (though I don't have the x86 in the path). Here is what my path is:

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient

Gatzoh
02.22.2012 , 09:34 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Would you please run the "FixLauncher.exe" (located in the main gamefolder) and afterwards run the mentioned repair function. Keep me noted if this fixes your issue.

Star_of_Mithal
02.22.2012 , 10:17 PM | #5
I had done that earlier, to no avail: I have to restart my machine every time I run the fixlauncher.exe program, as I receive a "Failed to update host" message after the launcher attempts to patch. Usually this is fixed after reboot however.

I ran repair a few times, then did as you asked. Received the "Failed to update host" message after the launcher "updated", did my reboot, logged in for the download to begin, and voila, it worked this time.

Thank you for the assist, this is not something I'd been seeing in the other launcher issue threads. Hopefully I do not have this issue in the future, but if I do I will follow the steps that appear to have fixed the issue.

Gatzoh
02.22.2012 , 10:33 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
It was a pleasure to be of help.

Star_of_Mithal
04.17.2012 , 07:28 PM | #7
Problem is back, has been persistent all night, and other days as well. Run repair, no luck, run fix patcher, that breaks the patcher (failed to update launcher error). No idea why my system would want to update to a directory that doesn't exist.

Any other ideas besides run repair, fix launcher, restart my system? I've tried them all....

Star_of_Mithal
04.19.2012 , 03:48 PM | #8
Going to bump this up to the front page again because it has happened again with the patch from today. Below I've got a snippet from the log file showing the error. I have run the launcher as admin, I have repaired the launcher multiple times, I have run fixlauncher (which ends up breaking my launcher with the "Failed to Update Host" message), in short, darn near everything I can think of to get this to work. The sad part is, it will magically "work" after some unknown period, after x number of reboots or something like that. But I want this to stop happening, I'd like to patch the game and play after a patch without jumping through these hurdles. So, any and all help would be appreciated.

Spoiler