Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Normal OP Loot Assignment Exploit?

netslave
02.22.2012 , 11:17 AM | #1
So in normal modes, on bosses where loot is in a chest, if people who do not need a particular item exit area before the chest is opened, the loot will be auto assigned to the players that are currently in the zone. This is a way to avoid 'some' duplication from the auto assigned system. I haven't done this yet, but I've heard that it works.

Question, is this an exploit or simply creative use of game mechanics? I hesitate to utilize this system until I know it's OK.

Vachs
02.22.2012 , 11:32 AM | #2
That is the by product of BioWare thinking themselves smart by using AUTO ASSIGN loot on Normal ops.
"There is currently no active subscription on this account"

DarthDemens
02.22.2012 , 11:57 AM | #3
Well, you're not actually exploiting anything.

By which I mean you're not getting anything you're not supposed to be able to get.

You're just maximizing the chances of obtaining optimal gear.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

netslave
02.22.2012 , 01:56 PM | #4
Well, I'd agree, but I'm not BioWare and don't have the BanHammer in hand either.

DarthBloodloss
02.22.2012 , 02:47 PM | #5
I dont have proof but I dont think that's the way it works. Back in beta and even before that, BW was more vocal about the raid loot system. They said that everyone would have a chance or "get a loot container" so that everyone had their own personal chance at a loot token.

This is the same system they described. When you loot the chest/boss, you are rolling your own personal chance to get an item, independent from everyone else's chances. Its not assigning the gear to random people, its just that everyone is on their own roll for loot/no-loot.

So if people are not looting, they are just denying their companions some Columi gear. Its not increasing anyone else's chance.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Remulan
02.22.2012 , 02:51 PM | #6
If they would just let people pass on items so that they get re-assigned this forum would have 1-5 less threads created every day, loot in normal mode raids would make sense, and people wouldn't be forced to resort to things like this.

Veriu
02.22.2012 , 03:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
I dont have proof but I dont think that's the way it works. Back in beta and even before that, BW was more vocal about the raid loot system. They said that everyone would have a chance or "get a loot container" so that everyone had their own personal chance at a loot token.

This is the same system they described. When you loot the chest/boss, you are rolling your own personal chance to get an item, independent from everyone else's chances. Its not assigning the gear to random people, its just that everyone is on their own roll for loot/no-loot.

So if people are not looting, they are just denying their companions some Columi gear. Its not increasing anyone else's chance.
incorrect.

Everyone doesn't have their own roll.

In normal mode 8 man, every boss drops 2 pieces of columi & 2 pieces of energized. What that loot is, and who it is assigned to is rolled for....

I don't know which roll takes place first (i.e. does it roll to decide to drop BH pants and then roll to see which BH gets it, or does it roll to see who gets loot and if a BH wins it gives them BH pants).

But regardless, in an 8 man group, 4 pieces of gear will drop & 2 pieces of columi...that's a 1/2 chance of an upgrade and a 1/4 chance of columi. If one person leaves then it's a 4/7 chance and a 2/7 chance.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Ivy league educated research scientist working on solar cell development. So yeah, I have no need to feel "accomplished" in a videogame.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Call me when you've got 2 written recommendations from Nobel laureates and have attended annual private functions at the White House.

netslave
02.22.2012 , 03:19 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post

All loot is assigned either at the time of opening a chest or at the time the boss dies if the boss is lootable. When you loot a boss, or chest, you see what items are there and who the loot has been assigned to.

What the situation in the OP describes is that if there are 4 pieces of loot, instead of those 4 pieces going to a possible 8 people, it will go to a possible 4 people if the other 4 are not present when the chest opens. The boss will still drop the same number of pieces of gear. It's just that the available player pool for that gear has now grown smaller so the remaining players have a better chance at something being assigned to them.

livnthedream
02.22.2012 , 05:12 PM | #9
you are circumventing the system put in place with intent. thats the very definition of exploit.