Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mara Jade

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 03:05 PM | #11
The Jacen as a Sith Lord just made me roll my eyes. Particularly with all his "I know my grandfather thought that he wouldn't fall and did. But he was WRONG! I however will succeed!" I just wanted to be like "Seriously? You think you have some magical way to succeed where even LUKE SKYWALKER fell?? The Solo genes of common sense skipped you didn't they?"

Also... Jaina. OMG are they butchering her character. Not enough that we have a dead Mara, now we have a lame Jaina. It's kind of like they suddenly decided that awesome female characters were no longer in vogue or something. (Which is not to say I don't think Jaina shouldn't hook up with Jag permanently, she totally should just... in an awesome way).

ErikModi
02.22.2012 , 03:11 PM | #12
See, I liked Chewie and Anakin dying in the NJO. It gave the series a much different feel, as mentioned several times in the books, it did away with the plot armor the character had all been walking around with. You can't have great drama if you KNOW that the main characters will always succeed.

Spoiler

I didn't even have any qualms about how they died. . . my only complaint is that Anakin had been being built up as the new hero of this story, and Lucas decided that, to avoid any confusion between Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo, Anakin Solo had to die. It feels like an insult to the audience's intelligence. Then again, given the exhibited intelligence I've seen from some of that audience, maybe Lucas had a point.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

ErikModi
02.22.2012 , 03:14 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurkz View Post
Also... Jaina. OMG are they butchering her character. Not enough that we have a dead Mara, now we have a lame Jaina. It's kind of like they suddenly decided that awesome female characters were no longer in vogue or something. (Which is not to say I don't think Jaina shouldn't hook up with Jag permanently, she totally should just... in an awesome way).
I haven't read anything past NJO, but as I understand it, Jaina suddenly turning incompetent is more a result Karen Traviss' hatred of Jedi and fetishization of Mandalorians. In Traviss' mind, Jaina Solo, being a Jedi, can't even tie her shoes right unless she's trained by a Mandalorian.

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

priest
02.22.2012 , 03:14 PM | #14
It's like they want to write twilight...in Star Wars.
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Darth_Malevolent
02.22.2012 , 03:14 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
Killing her....who really thought that was a good idea?
Karen Traviss didn't even give Timothy Zahn the courtesy of telling him her intentions, nor did she ask for his permission to do so..... yea, I think she's just jealous; or simply put anti Republic/ Jedi
The Dark Side is Omnipotent in this one

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 03:15 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
See, I liked Chewie and Anakin dying in the NJO. It gave the series a much different feel, as mentioned several times in the books, it did away with the plot armor the character had all been walking around with. You can't have great drama if you KNOW that the main characters will always succeed.

[sblock]It's like what Joss Whedon did with Serenity. Killing Book was one thing. . . he was an important character, sure, but he was probably the most expendable character in the story. Killing Wash. . . now, that was a signal to the audience that no one was safe, and this whole thing could turn into Butch and Sundance before it was over.[/sblock]

I didn't even have any qualms about how they died. . . my only complaint is that Anakin had been being built up as the new hero of this story, and Lucas decided that, to avoid any confusion between Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo, Anakin Solo had to die. It feels like an insult to the audience's intelligence. Then again, given the exhibited intelligence I've seen from some of that audience, maybe Lucas had a point.
Agreed. Even Mara, I could have dealt with if it wasn't just so damn... stupid. Obviously they will all die eventually, but if they aren't going to die of old age... at least make them die logically. Chewie and Anakin's deaths at least fit characters. I mean heck, it took a damn moon falling on Chewie to do him in. And Anakin was a voluntary "I will become one with the Force to save all my friends". Mara?

Spoiler

Re. audience intelligence: Yeah... I hear ya there.

Edit to add a spoiler tag as I just saw that Erik hasn't read past NJO.

Lurkz
02.22.2012 , 03:17 PM | #17
I haven't read anything past NJO, but as I understand it, Jaina suddenly turning incompetent is more a result Karen Traviss' hatred of Jedi and fetishization of Mandalorians. In Traviss' mind, Jaina Solo, being a Jedi, can't even tie her shoes right unless she's trained by a Mandalorian.
Yeah, basically. God forbid the Jedi be awesome and intelligent people. Also, she starts fawning over Jag apparently instead of being the independent woman we know she should be (esp. as a daughter of Han and Leia).

ErikModi
02.22.2012 , 03:18 PM | #18
That's okay. . . I don't really plan to, since I refuse to read Karen Traviss' works. If I do, I'l definitely be skipping Legacy of the Force. I've heard enough about that I just have no interest in reading it.

priest
02.22.2012 , 03:30 PM | #19

[sblock]It's like what Joss Whedon did with Serenity. Killing Book was one thing. . . he was an important character, sure, but he was probably the most expendable character in the story. Killing Wash. . . now, that was a signal to the audience that no one was safe, and this whole thing could turn into Butch and Sundance before it was over.[/sblock]

I don't like the new feel to it. I liked the original nieivity and innocence of the series. I'm not looking for a more gritty GFFA; If I want hardcore dark drama, I'll go to Battlestar Galactica (which I also like by the way.)

I know what they're getting at; really I understand. I just don't agree. I want a simple, pop corn story that I can read and feel like, in the end, the good guys win. Killing Chewie, Anakin, Mara, and making Jacen this odd heel character was just stupid imo.
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Dar-Ell
02.22.2012 , 03:34 PM | #20
Chewie's death, was awesome and poignent and did shatter the "hero's are immune to death" shield that was around the characters. Anakin Solo's death was a hero dying to save his friends (I still think there could have been a way around it, but hey).

Spoiler

Just my ideas *shrug*
Quote: Originally Posted by godihatelag View Post
Worst Launch? Ever heard of Jurassic Park? John gave Dr. Grant early access and all of a sudden... PEOPLE. ARE. DYING.