Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

Cerion
02.19.2012 , 06:06 PM | #591
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucpol View Post
I hope that is not the attitude you get through life with-otherwise good luck to you...
As odd as it may sound to you, people in games are a whole lot worse than people in real life. I meet tons of great people in real life -- perhaps because we all have to act decently to make it through our days. We all know the anonymity of the interwebs can bring out the worst in people.

Not so in an online video game. Most people online do suck. Look at the posts on these forums for a sampling of your fellow gamers.

Fortunately, BW gives me the option to still have fun whilst I weed through the chaff in game. When I meet cool people, I'll try to friend them.

RowanThursday
02.19.2012 , 06:18 PM | #592
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerion View Post

Not so in an online video game. Most people online do suck. Look at the posts on these forums for a sampling of your fellow gamers.
Indeed, I think in many cases I'd sooner group with a wampa. At least they'd make for a comfortable warm snuggle buddy for breaks in *long* group quests.

The thing that gets me is... why do people get so *angry* at people for not being in a group mood?

I mean... how does it adversely affect Fred the Jedi if I don't wish to group? Put another way, why does his desire to corral me in as an ersatz companion/hunter pet for his Heroic in any way take precedence over my desire to get on with my class quest and planetary quest *without* being harangued by someone whose attitude suggests that grouping him would be constant nagging that my DPS isn't sufficient, that I'm not geared right, blah, blah, blah?

As to the question of whether, if this game were single player, I'd prefer it... well, the very good point has been made that it wouldn't *work* single-player. You'd get one- or, at the most, two class stories... and they'd probably be Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor. Now, I played a S.I. first, and I'm beginning to seriously contemplate playing a Jedi Knight fourth- my Smuggler's rolling along well at 41, so 50's in sight, and my Imp Agent will need a Republic counterpart for variety... but... Smuggler has given me more fun in 41 levels than I've had since the Worgen starting quest area of WoW:Cat, and indeed probably more than that, given all the storytelling/characterisation elements that... are the game to me, and Imperial Agent's looking good so far... and in a single-player version, I have a very strong suspicion those game paths simply wouldn't have been there.

So... I play the games for characters, for variety of characters living through storylines. For that, as has been said, I suspect you need the MMO subscription.
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55

Taikaesine
02.19.2012 , 07:09 PM | #593
I'm probably one of the people that the original statement applies to. I solo most of the time, I queue solo for PVP and accept the occasional group when i know I will be there for long enough to see the quest through to complete. My reason for this is that I am married and have kids, they need help with different things and randomly put my son back in bed through the evening. I solo so that I don't impact on others by having to leave halfway through a 4man quest or a flashpoint. I'm all for grouping, but not at the expense of other peoples experience of the game.

Clarian
02.19.2012 , 07:09 PM | #594
Quote: Originally Posted by RowanThursday View Post
You'd get one- or, at the most, two class stories... and they'd probably be Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor.
Good point...that's why I like 8 stories in one game, because it includes stories that otherwise wouldn't ever be done in a smaller-scale game.

Lethality
02.19.2012 , 07:14 PM | #595
Quote: Originally Posted by notebene View Post
Sometimes I like to buy tickets to go to a professional basketball game or a baseball game, because I enjoy the experience and energy of actually being there.

Other than asking for a hot dog, and maybe something brief to the person who takes my ticket, I don't really interact with anyone else there.
You're a spectator.

And what you're there to witness is the actual event, which IS a multi-player team sport. You as a spectator are not multi-player. You're part of the environment. The athletes are the players.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Lethality
02.19.2012 , 07:16 PM | #596
Quote: Originally Posted by DalrisThane View Post
But yeah, if they’d done KOTOR 3, I would never have darkened the door of an MMO again. And considering the story part is a direct sequel to the KOTORS (Ex = the planet quests i.e. not class quests of Taris… where you find out about the Endar’s Spire, The Promised Land, and so on…), I’m happy. Not great. The MMO part should never have happened IMO. But good enough for me to be here.
A ringing endorsement if I ever heard one! i.e. I'm guessing BioWare hates to hear that about their MMO.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Ethern
02.19.2012 , 07:21 PM | #597
Simply because they have no other choice. The MMO format was imposed to players only wanting a Kotor sequel.
That involve subscription monthly fees, and other unwanted features, that it is in any case stupid to force.

Anyway TOR's multiplayer aspect only reaches the mere co-op level. This game has no community feeling level - forcing players to be interdependent on anything - and never will, so I don't see the problem, nor the reason of such questioning in the OP.

DalrisThane
02.19.2012 , 09:59 PM | #598
Deleted. No point. Everyone is TLDR these days. +See Sig.
I still miss 1990s FMV. I miss Wing Commander 3-4. I actually don't want a game. I’d prefer CYOA interactive movies any day. Until then, video games are the closest I can get...

Highsis
02.21.2012 , 10:29 AM | #599
Only Bioware is capable of telling such good stories.

I play this game for the story, rest of game elements just happen to came along.

I'm actually regretting that I ever bothered to interact with other players as I've been spoiled once by an idiot on the general chat.

That's when I realized I should turn off general chat and never interact with other players.

Sith Warrior Major Spoiler

Spoiler

When there are lots people together, dumb brains tend to blend in, and I'm merely trying to avoid them from ruining my experience...

Uruare
02.21.2012 , 11:12 AM | #600
I like a much looser social proximity across the boards, online and in RL alike, than MMO's frequently arbitrate at various levels of play.

Back in Ultima Online, I had a blast decorating my houses. Never did get a giant castle like I always intended, but I satisfied myself with a small town.

I can only guess at how much time I spent decorating my houses and their immediate lockdown environments. How much time and effort I put into both that and negotiating the locations with previous owners must've been 1000-2000 hours all told, quite possibly more.

I had to deal with very few people. My vendors, all cleverly disguised as townsfolk, all sold the various assortments of stuff I crafted on my equally assorted alts, and my little town became a bit of a haven for perma-red PKers that loved its remote location and my happy go-lucky willingness to stock good, cheap gear and potions and bandages and recall reagents/scrolls just for them.

And then they got into RPing, and my little town turned into a little mecca of evil RPers.

And then some serious bignamer vendor mall moguls moved in and gave birth to the Atlantic shard city of Cainia, which became and remained an evil RP guild haven until probably well after I bowed out of the game altogether.

I was never, ever, ever forced to do one cotton-pickin' thing with anybody. Not for anything to do with my crafting, my house decorating, my adventuring about on my adventuring characters; nadda.

And when I felt like doing stuff with people, they were out there and weren't too hard to find, especially after a bleeping city of castles and large stone towers got built around my meager little house-town.

Not everything was great. I definitely lost the nostalgia-tinted lenses long ago on the matter, but what really was great remains great in memory.

And for me, the greatest thing about it was, alongside that devestatingly wonderful pile of people that made their RP city there, the fact that I could throw on some of my good, cheap gear, take some of my potions and bandages and just enough reagents to cast recall a few times and go murder people.

Yessir, I could go find an idiot and kill it. These were pre-trammel days for all your UO vets out there, and not only pre-trammel, but the Blackthorn's Revenge expansion hadn't even hit yet for the bulk of my time there.

I and some perma-red RPers became highway bandits between Britain and Bucc's Den. Someone set a little house up for us out there and that's what our 'raiding' consisted of every Thursday and Saturday or Sunday nights; we'd go in groups of five on a sweep of the roadways and murder anyone and everyone we came across, RP style.

Yes, we said 'Prithee' as a point of hilarious annoyance. I seem to recall a couple of occasions wherein we said nothing but 'Prithee' to all pleas to be spared and threats and all else just for the lulz.

And we didn't have to. Sure weren't doing it for 'gear progression'. The notion of grinding was limited to skilling up; all our gear was good, cheap crafted junk we'd never miss when, not if, we died and lost it.

Our -good- gear was locked down in our houses on display and only occasionally used when we'd go and tackle a dungeon.

And you know what? No MMO I've had the pleasure of playing, or that was at all a pleasure to play, offered me the experience of a sandbox quite like that.

Being social was a good thing, but required for virtually nothing except spelunking the depths of the dungeons. You could, if it turned your crank, spend thousands of hours crafting and harvesting crafting mats and setting up/decorating at least one house and exploring; o'ye gods, the exploring; and a'so on, so on, so forth.

There wasn't this overwhelming push for super gear. Full suit of (what was in my time the rarest ore type to make anything out of) Valorite full plate? No better than regular ol' steel full plate, but it was -blue-.

And people -loved it-.

Bronze for being kinda goldish got a lot of play and sales too.

So, yep. Looser social proximities really trip my trigger. All this sardine can packing-in to run on gear treadmills...yeah, sure, I can have fun with it with the right people, but unto itself?

What a crock. This whole premise is pathetic without people you're actually friends with, and if you're here for the storyline?

Sure as hell ain't worth pandering to too many people you probably won't care about anyway over it. The gear treadmill has no new secrets to share with me; the heck do I need other people constantly shoulder to shoulder with me for beyond that?

But it's nice that they're out there if I'd like to do something with people.

Sometimes, that's fun too.